The full truth about the beta

Multiplayer was alot of fun hehe :) I tried with my friend on the internet (by ip) and it was amazing to play the e3 levels :) I was picking up beds with the grav gun and my friend was trying to shoot me haha and I was throwing the beds back at him right in the face. Anyway the HL multiplayer is completly unknown because the one included in the build was just to play the levels with more than one player... but the fact is that multiplayer with the physics and stuff in HL will be alot of fun I can tell!! :) I don't want to say to much about what we did with the buggy but I can tell you it was cool! :)

vegeta, CS with HL2 was a small rumour that went round. We know that it wouldn't be TF2 with HL2 as that's standalone, and we also know that CS2 will be standalone too... but Gabe mentioned something about the CS team working with the source engine on a CS project which is not CS2... That sent a few alarm bells ringing that that could be the top secret multiplayer. I would assume that as HL DM is still quite popular today, that there will be standard HL2 MP also.

I've had this "Counter-Strike: Classic" idea for a while now, and it really makes sense.

Just release HL2 MP as a standard low fare multiplayer game much like original HL. Not a lot of work, easy to do, not overly time consuming, low risk, etc. But then just port normal counter strike to the Source engine. That'll help ween the cs players from the old engine to the new engine (best reason to do it), it'd be a great test for the Source engine mp capabilities (that can be used for TF2 and CS2), and it'd make fans really really happy. And it woudn't be overly hard to accomplish.

Why not do it? They did it originally for us with TFC, to help tide us over till the real game (still waiting). The only reason I can see as why NOT to do it would be if CS2 is relatively close to release, or if the HL2 mp is already pretty freakin' cool, or if CS2 really IS the mp side of HL2.

It really has got to be something good, otherwise why do they have the singleplayer only sku version of the game? I can't see them leaving out really simple deathmatch, team dm, and ctf, for a $20 difference in price. Unless they're counting so heavily on mods that they think the mods themselves as a whole are worth the $20. That's like saying, "Here's our game, $30. If you want to be able to add stuff to our game, and then play it, then please pay $50". that'd be pretty asinine(sp?) IMHO.

" but Gabe mentioned something about the CS team working with the source engine on a CS project which is not CS2... " - Chris_D

I had never heard that before??? Was that somewhere in the valve info thread? That just makes my case even more plausible.

How many of you guys calling the beta downloaders thiefs Use music sharing programs?

niddhoggr said:
How many of you guys calling the beta downloaders thiefs Use music sharing programs?

...this is a pointless question, and can be seen as a personal attack.

They physically broke in to Valve's network and stole their game.
It's a little bit different to downloading music files.

It's like the difference between me breaking into your home and stealing your computer; or coming round, borrowing your favourite Backend Boys CD and copying it.

what idiots out there are still using music sharing programs? you want to be sued or something?

Actually Canadians have nothing to fear from downloading songs. the RIAA is only going after Americans. Is there even a RIAC? however, I still do not condone the use of p2p programs to download illegal songs. I just wish Itunes would allow canada to buy from them. It sucks having to buy a cd for 20 bucks when it has like 5 songs on there that are good.

We are kinda getting off topic here...

methods of getting the beta.... =BAD (edited by SideX)

I was talking to my friend who has the beta, he was saying that the physics are cool, but that if you hit someone in the head with a dumpster (using the physgun), as long as it doesnt kill him, it wont move him. IE, living npc's arent moved at all when they get hit by bullets or large objects. DOES anyone know if valve plans on implementing blending (i think its called) where npc would get knocked around a bit if they get hit. Thanks!

gragland said:
I was talking to my friend who has the beta, he was saying that the physics are cool, but that if you hit someone in the head with a dumpster (using the physgun), as long as it doesnt kill him, it wont move him. IE, living npc's arent moved at all when they get hit by bullets or large objects. DOES anyone know if valve plans on implementing blending (i think its called) where npc would get knocked around a bit if they get hit. Thanks!

VALVe already said animation blending (or whatever its technical name) would be included in HL2

There's already a Havok demonstration video of this at Havok's site, if you take a look

Isn't that also capable of making an enemy grab their arm/leg/face whatever when they start to ragdoll? As if they were collapsing in pain, or having a reflex reaction to a headshot...

Brian Damage said:
Isn't that also capable of making an enemy grab their arm/leg/face whatever when they start to ragdoll? As if they were collapsing in pain, or having a reflex reaction to a headshot...

I guess so, I see what you're saying, but I really have no idea. lol

Well, it's more or less just the reverse of the situation gragland was talking about... uses the same principle...

Yes it will be included. Now that I saw the Keyframe Blengin thingy I know it will. And as another point of statemant, please block this out if you need to, but please don't ban me :( but someone asked in an interview if you can squish headcrabs by jumpig on them, and it's not yet implemented, but I found a squished headcrab model included in the beta, among MANY other monsters and stuff that are not completed.

Chris_D said:
vegeta, CS with HL2 was a small rumour that went round. We know that it wouldn't be TF2 with HL2 as that's standalone, and we also know that CS2 will be standalone too... but Gabe mentioned something about the CS team working with the source engine on a CS project which is not CS2... That sent a few alarm bells ringing that that could be the top secret multiplayer. I would assume that as HL DM is still quite popular today, that there will be standard HL2 MP also.

maybe they meant CZ, that would fit into my little theory. CZ will be released after HL2 in the source engine.

niddhoggr said:
Why? same thing as downloading the build.

No. It isn't, it's different.

First off, anyone who DLs the stolen build is probably about 95% likely to buy HL2 once it comes out, while DLing music means the person is 95% UNlikely to buy the CD. Second, VALVe loses no money from the stolen build (and, again, I am NOT talking about the source theft here), if anything, it gives them free press.

Downloading the HL2 beta is like downloading a song which is unffinished, there's no point unless you want to see how it's made.

Just curious if this is the same one you're talking about when the hackers broke into valve or is this different ? Also I wont be downloading it if it is since HL2 is not so far away.

Tork said:
Just curious if this is the same one you're talking about when the hackers broke into valve or is this different ? Also I wont be downloading it if it is since HL2 is not so far away.

Yeah, we're talking about the stolen build from September.

Shuzer said:

First off, anyone who DLs the stolen build is probably about 95% likely to buy HL2 once it comes out, while DLing music means the person is 95% UNlikely to buy the CD. Second, VALVe loses no money from the stolen build (and, again, I am NOT talking about the source theft here), if anything, it gives them free press.
Absolutely spot on.

Shuzer said:

The Ironic thing is that I have the beta, and I was trying to make the people calling us thiefs see the error in their ways. And you kind of made my point stronger by saying downloading a song is worse. Thanks.

Well, I really just think that downloading the build does not harm Valve in any way. And people who download the beta does not turn off users that were previously going to buy HL2. If anything, it makes people want it more, and like Shuzer said, it's free publicity. Just look at this thread! People talking, reviving their love and anticipation of the soon to be released super great game.

And I am not gonna post anymore beta info because it seems to be annoying mods and one of their warnings made me feel like a big jerk. Sorry for those of you who want more info... Just contact me on AIM. Or E-Mail me.

You haven't mentiooned anything that is against the rules. If you had then this thread would be locked by now.

You can talk about the beta, what's in the beta (without spoiling anything obviously. It was just the Lamaar thing that might have ticked someone off, but no one knows what it is! :LOL:) - you also can't post any screenshots or links to screenshots or links to the beta at all.

Well Chris, it's just that Fenric kinda got mad at me and said I was pushing my luck... It made me feel really bad and he said I was bragging about having the beta, which I'm NOT, I am just telling people what to expect from the beta and to straighten things out. Braggers don't spend that much time putting together a full documentaition. They would just say "Oh I know the answer to that, I know everything about the beta and what the game will be like and what happens in the beggining in the game"

Uhhh, I don't know how to close this so... Thankyou?

here's a question... does the buggy drive like the jeep from bf1942 or like the jeep from Halo?

I need to appologize to Shuzer. Hey man I am sorry the way I came off, I had no right attacking you the way I did. Thinking about my actions I can see I was angered by my own lust for the beta. At any rate I had no place in the words I held against you. I hope you can forgive my immaturity.

:cheers:

Yakuza said:
I need to appologize to Shuzer. Hey man I am sorry the way I came off, I had no right attacking you the way I did. Thinking about my actions I can see I was angered by my own lust for the beta. At any rate I had no place in the words I held against you. I hope you can forgive my immaturity.

:cheers:

I hadn't really thought twice about your "attack," I had forgotten all about it (I had to back-track through the pages to find it). It's fine, no hard feelings :) I didn't take it personally

HL2 'Beta'

Hey all, only my 2nd post here. At first I was adamant not to download this puppy...but in the end curiosity got the better of me.....All that's happened by me 'playing' this has made me even more anxious to play the final product.

Valve have truly created a masterpiece here (just like the first game), and I can honestly say this by playing/viewing the leaked version. I for one will be buying this as soon as it hits the shelves.

For the record: all you Nvidia owners out there...don't be too hasty to upgrade just yet - it looked/performed fine on my GF Ti 4200 Turbo card (with 5.xx detonators), AMD 2400 XP, MSI Nforce 2 Mobo, 512mb DDR res @ 1024x768. I know source dynamically alters eyecandy over performance...but it performed well (especially with the build in such an early state)

Anyway, that's all I wanted to add...needless to say, my HDD is now free of it and I'm anxiously waiting for the full release.

Thanks for reading....

PS - Are the rumours true about Valve revamping HL1 with this game? Can anybody clarify?

Back