The Future

L

Logic

With much talk and excitement of the release candidate news, I felt it neccissary to bring some important points into focus. It may be an exciting time at the moment, but things are set to change dramatically. During the long and arduous wait for Half-Life 2, we've become quite a community. Traditions have emerged, and a way of life has developed. With Valve's recent news, however, it's clear that there will soon be great change, and that our current way of life can not last forever.

Delay threads, "will HL2 run on my awesomely pimped out machine" threads, and Valve hatred threads have become staples of our community. Some of us start them, many of us participate in them, and the rest generally dislike them, but they've become a part of who we are, and what we do here. They represent us. Now that Half-Life 2 is quickly becoming a reality, the day approaches when these threads will stop appearing, the 'Valve info thread' will be unstickied (or worse, deleted), and most painfully of all, many of our valued members will simply never return. For most of us, speculation and arguing about the game is our social outlet, and without this, we may find ourselves losing touch with other people, and letting go of time honored traditions, such as alpha-numerical re-spellings of words, and witty abbreviations (such as "u ppl" instead of "you people").

By releasing Half-Life 2, Valve are giving us what they have owed us since releasing the original Half-Life. The unpleasable community will be pleased, and we simply won't be able to remain who we are. Without being kept from something that belongs to us, we will have lost our cause. I strongly urge Valve not to release Half-Life 2, and allow us, as a community, to retain our identity, as the now legendary Duke Nukem Forever community has.

With that said, even though things look bad at the moment, I am optimistic that there is a future for our community... there will eventually be a Half-Life 3 to get worked up over, and in the mean time there will be bugs to complain about, newbies to flame, spoilers to post, and each other to verbally abuse... and with that in mind, I remain hopeful that those of us who remain after the shock wave of Half-Life 2's release will rebuild and thrive as the bitter, self-important, nerdy community that we are. Only time will tell.

-Edward Harrison

Eloquently said. But, of course, slightly insane.

Logic said:
By releasing Half-Life 2, Valve are giving us what they have owed us since releasing the original Half-Life.

For the record, they don't owe us diddly-squat. :E Ahh, keeping the tradition alive.

I will definitely remain an active community member long after the release of HL2. So ladies, there is something to look forward to. Ladies... Hello... Echo... Echo...

mirageacg said:
For the record, they don't owe us diddly-squat.

heh, i bet myself that someone in the next 10 minutes would say it. yes neo, its the sound of inevitability

mirageacg said:
For the record, they don't owe us diddly-squat. :E Ahh, keeping the tradition alive.

I will definitely remain an active community member long after the release of HL2. So ladies, there is something to look forward to. Ladies... Hello... Echo... Echo...
:LOL:

(for the record, I agree ;) )

I don't really give a crap about this comunity. I will have to find something to fill in my afternoons though.

iamaelephant said:
I don't really give a crap about this comunity.

*gasp* i am shocked. your kind and jubilant posting history would fool me to think otherwise!

This must be the oddest, yet the most truthful thread at HL2.net.

Wtf?

Logic said:
With much talk and excitement of the release candidate news ,I felt it neccissary to bring some important points into focus. It may be an exciting time at the moment, but things are set to change dramatically. During the long and arduous wait for Half-Life 2, we've become quite a community. Traditions have emerged, and a way of life has developed. With Valve's recent newshowever, it's clear that there will soon be great change, and that our current way of life can not last forever.

Delay threads, "will HL2 run on my awesomely pimped out machine" threads, and Valve hatred threads have become staples of our community. Some of us start them, many of us participate in them, and the rest generally dislike them, but they've become a part of who we are, and what we do here. They represent us. Now that Half-Life 2 is quickly becoming a reality, the day approaches when these threads will stop appearing, the 'Valve info thread' will be unstickied (or worse, deleted), and most painfully of all, many of our valued members will simply never return. For most of us, speculation and arguing about the game is our social outlet, and without this, we may find ourselves losing touch with other people and letting go of time honored traditions, such as alpha-numerical re-spellings of words, and witty abbreviations (such as "u ppl" instead of "you people").

By releasing Half-Life 2, Valve are giving us what they have owed us since releasing the original Half-Life. The unpleasable community will be pleased, and we simply won't be able to remain who we are. Without being kept from something that belongs to us, we will have lost our cause. I strongly urge Valve not to release Half-Life 2, and allow us, as a community, to retain our identity, as the now legendary Duke Nukem Forever community has.

With that said, even though things look bad at the moment, I am optimistic that there is a future for our community... there will eventually be a Half-Life 3 to get worked up over, and in the mean ime there will be bugs to complain about, newbies to flame, spoilers to post, and each other to verbally abuse... and with that in mind, I remain hopeful that those of us who remain after the shock wave of Half-Life 2's release will rebuild and thrive as the bitter, self-important, nerdy community that we are. Only will tell.

-Edward Harrison

Dude are u on glue? Don't release hl2 so this forum can continue? The only reason this forum exists is because of the release of halflife 2. I joined to find info about release dates and stuff like that. And i bet u 90% of everyone else here thinks the same thing. I've been waiting for hl2 for years. To take that away from me now would be a crime. Plz don't scare me like that again! :)

Campin'Carl said:
Dude are u on glue? Don't release hl2 so this forum can continue? The only reason this forum exists is because of the release of halflife 2. I joined to find info about release dates and stuff like that. And i bet u 90% of everyone else here thinks the same thing. I've been waiting for hl2 for years. To take that away from me now would be a crime. Plz don't scare me like that again! :)
Don't worry, just a bit of satire to keep us amused while we twiddle our thumbs in anticipation. I'm as eager to get my hands on HL2 as anyone :cheese:

Anticipation of games is what makes forums thrive. You should have seen the Blizzard forums while waiting for WarCraft III to come out. Look at them now waiting for WoW. Look at all the HL2 forums. Now go look at a forum for a game that has been released for a while, it isn't nearly as lively as it was in pre-release, but there's still a community. No worries. :)

BTW: I'm hungry.

MetEoRA said:
BTW: I'm hungry.
I was thinking of setting up a sandwich bar to post along with the thread, but unfortunately I ran into some logistical problems, so I guess you'll have to make do with what's in your fridge :(

I will defenitly stay active here if HL2.net does it right. Tech help, mod info, update/patch news, future releases, HL3 :) , mod news and DL's, etc. etc. etc.

Seriously though, it is these communities, these "brotherhoods" if I may, that make games like HL2 so amazing, and help with the games popularity. We provide a means for developers (if they read) to improve the game. And we provide a collective consciousness for HL2. Which is amazing. And I will reiterate what I mentioned before, I will remain an active member at this community even after HL2's hype has worn off. (Which hopefully won't be for a very very long time).

This has to be one of the coolest threads in recent history. My hat goes off to you Logic.

/me tips hat

:D

This is the perfect example of a well thought out thread.

Well done Logic

Here here. That was very well said Logic. And I apologive for any random or pointless posts. A little too giddy and wound up for college. Hopefully HL2 goes gold on my move in date, the 19th. We can always hope.

hehe, thanks for the positive responses. There seems to be a 'lot of the same' on large forums, so I thought something a bit unusual might be entertaining. :)

Yeah, good thread.

I think after the games release though, the forum will be (as it seems to be now) flooded with new people, looking for spoilers, help with the game and a place to appraise and complain about valve. Although the original feeling and sense of community will be diluted, i dont think it'll leave.

oldagerocker said:
I think after the games release though, the forum will be (as it seems to be now) flooded with new people, looking for spoilers, help with the game and a place to appraise and complain about valve. Although the original feeling and sense of community will be diluted, i dont think it'll leave.
Yeah, I agree. It will be different (a lot of new faces, some old ones vanishing) and most of the tension that's built up about the delays etc will be suddenly dissipated, but the probability of future expansions, the knowlege of Half-Life 3, and modding will keep things very much alive and kicking. Personally, I can't wait :)

One thing is, when HL3 comes out, what happens to the HL2 site... does it get upgraded to Halflife3.net?

poseyjmac said:
logic, will you marry me?
I feel as though I should at least ask "a\s\l?" first, but perhaps in today's society it's not all that important :p

but if it get upgraded 2 halflife3.net and we dont know it... horror. what would happen 2 the world? would the big apfelstrudel reservoirs explode and cover the world? would every computer in the world be degraded to a 486? would valve be tansformed into armless hamsters? only time will tell gentlemen and poseyjmac ;)

Logic said:
I feel as though I should at least ask "a\s\l?" first, but perhaps in today's society it's not all that important :p
Depends if you live in an enlightened country that treats everyone's personal relationships as equal, or whether you live in a backwards theocracy that is trying to make some forms of relationship completely illegal.

Lanthanide said:
Depends if you live in an enlightened country that treats everyone's personal relationships as equal, or whether you live in a backwards theocracy that is trying to make some forms of relationship completely illegal.
True, the world's a troubled place at the moment. It seems pretty rediculous that cultural beliefs are still enforced by law in some supposedly multi-cultural parts of the world. So many problems in the world today... lets distract ourselves with Half-Life 2!! :p

dont worry guys, im here to stay.....and i know ur all so happy about that :D

skumbuzzul said:
neccissary = necessary
Well spotted, I hadn't noticed (spelling it that way is an old habit of mine I'm afraid). Too late for an edit now, though :p

Evil^Milk said:
so what is gonna happen to hl2.net when hl3 comes out?
I would guess that it will remain a site\forum relating to Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 era mods, and that there will be a HL3 site run by the same people etc etc, just with a different URL. Or perhaps halflife2.net will just redirect to that site, which will have sections (and forums) relating to HL2.

Back