The G-Man

Unless it doesn't matter if you know if he works for the government or not.

It's just that that's all we can call him because we know nothing else about him. He's a guy sent from the so called government.

Because he looks like one? You tell us that Government would be tooo easy, but you think he just looks like one... well, that looks much easier to me..
There has to be a better explanation than that.

It surely matters if we know if he works for the government...
, that could lighten up some things about Gordons new job I think

Jeehde2 said:
Because he looks like one? You tell us that Government would be tooo easy, but you think he just looks like one... well, that looks much easier to me..
There has to be a better explanation than that.

What looks easier? If he just looks like one, then it's actually more difficult to figure out his origin and his purpose as opposed to assuming he works for the government (BECAUSE OF HIS NAME, DUH).

As I've stated before, the only time he's actually referred to as the G-Man isn't even in the game. It's in the manual for an expansion pack. Even then, it's not even a big deal. It's just something along the lines of "There's some guy checking us out. Some G-Man from the look of it".

If there was some big importance in his name, then you would have found more focus on it. As it currently stands, "G-Man" is just a term for that guy we all know.

To decipher Gordon's new job, it would help to look at why he was "employed" by the gman in the first place...

(i would continue but i cant be bothered)

The Gman had to know what was going to happen, or else he wouldnt be there... maybe we are going way to far... maybe he
just was there, then it happened and he figured that Gordon might be usefull for another job, helpings against the aliens in HL2

Thats the easiest way to explain how Gordon got his job...

Actually, I believe the source code of the original HL refers to him as "G-Man", as well as
Agent Coomer, IIRC.

Brian Damage said:
Actually, I believe the source code of the original HL refers to him as "G-Man"...

Well, what would you rather have his model called? "cancerpatient"? "mysterydude"? Again, I don't believe this really has any importance. His model was called "gman" because they needed to call it something. Thus, you have something that you and the community can identify him as.

Jeehde2 said:
Every Half Life fan should know that Im talking about the mysterious G-Man.

Or you just read the threads name: The G-Man.

So many question to be answer! Hope they reveal a few in Half-life 2...

Well, there are two ways it could go:

1. The Gman really is mysterious and his name really has a function. He has an important role in the game and we will get to know more about him in the second Half Life.

2. The Gman is just a person to make any sense to the game. His name is just used to identify him. We wont hear anything new of him in the second game.

I really, really hope that we will hear more ,,mysterious" facts in Half Life 2 and that Valve will uncover more information...

Well, his face is on the box, next to Gordon and Alyx...
That should mean that he is important. They could have picked Barney too...

And, just like said before, we will see him now and then, appearing and dissappearing...

Jeehde2 said:
2. The Gman is just a person to make any sense to the game. His name is just used to identify him. We wont hear anything new of him in the second game.

WTF?

Just because his name isn't of significance doesn't mean he can't be a mysterious character and that there will be no new revealing information regarding him in HL2. I don't know why you thought otherwise.

Haha, yes, that would be a great idea...

I think Half Life 2 begins
with that train, just like in part 1
, we should be able to see him there somewhere... :rolling:

That had to be a lot harder for Valve... in part one, he appeared behind windows, on high ceilings, or...

But Half Life 2, look what we have... City 17, where would you put such a man??? You cant look through a window in the city, on the streets, so it would look rather stupid if there was one window with the Gman behind it... In Ravenholm (the horror part) you wont be able to see him, that just wouldnt fit... and then there is the whole buggy part...
Well, im very curious how Valve solved this..

But maybe he just isnt there, maybe we only see him in real conversations, just like Alyx and Eli...
Cause in part one, he stalked Gordon to see if he was up to the job, but he now had the job, so why would he stalk him again? If it is true what has been mentioned before, then there had to be another reason...

Well, I think, if the Gman is a mysterious man, then there has to be something cool with his name... thats my point of view...

he's an alien that taken over a goverment reps. body and is controlling the situtation to allow the alien to get a stronghold on Earth........ because they have an unexplainable love for bunny rabbits.

Hahaha, well I think you watched Men in Black a little tooo often.

But apart from the funny side, the Gman really looks like one of them... He suddenly appears, offers you a job and it all has to do with aliens! But well, his suit isnt black and he doesnt wear any sunglasses... Ah, hard point :O

Jeehde2 said:
Hahaha, well I think you watched Men in Black a little tooo often.

But apart from the funny side, the Gman really looks like one of them... He suddenly appears, offers you a job and it all has to do with aliens! But well, his suit isnt black and he doesnt wear any sunglasses... Ah, hard point :O
He's cigarette smoking man! Not a MIB.

Well, I still dont figure how Valve will show the Gman now and then... In HL2 almost everything played inside, its easy then, but Half Life 2 just is an outdoor game...

Well, we will see about that in the game..

I thought the Black Mesa incident was all set up as a 'test', and the G-Man was sent in to evaluate the findings. Obviously he decided that Gordon was the winning candidate.

Jeehde2 said:
Haha, yes, that would be a great idea...

I think Half Life 2 begins
with that train, just like in part 1
, we should be able to see him there somewhere... :rolling:

That had to be a lot harder for Valve... in part one, he appeared behind windows, on high ceilings, or...

...But maybe he just isnt there, maybe we only see him in real conversations, just like Alyx and Eli...
Cause in part one, he stalked Gordon to see if he was up to the job, but he now had the job, so why would he stalk him again? If it is true what has been mentioned before, then there had to be another reason...

I agree with your idea of the start of H-L2. I'm guessing Gman will be on a train moving in the opposite direction to you, or he will be getting on a train just as you got out of your train.

And yes, i think it would be hard to implement that norm of seeing the gman everyso often around the game. But, we havent seen all the levels in the game yet, from what we have seen the maps are quite open, but still there could be the more enclosed ones where we might see him again.

I wouldn't say Gman was stalking Gordon in HL1..

I always got the impression that it was Gman that was one step ahead Gordon.

Gman did say to Gordon, "I'll see you up ahead". From this i got the idea that Gman meant he'd see Gordon when he had caught up with him physically as in location (at first i thought the portal at the end of HL1 was time delayed, so gordon ended up on earth later than gman). But there is the possibility of the Gman meaning catch up in the more mental sense, as in find out what's going on in the world, and what your purpose is, and then we'll be at the same level.

personally..i think its just gonna start with some music.. then the hl2 logo will come in.. then remeber that white ritin at the end of hl2?? i rekon that wil come up saying

Subject :- Gordon Freeman

then you will start the game, or just happen to end up

in the station with Dr Kliener speaking to you on that screen!

i think that the Gman will reveal "GORDAN I AM YOUR FATHER"

DavE0r said:
personally..i think its just gonna start with some music.. then the hl2 logo will come in.. then remeber that white ritin at the end of hl2?? i rekon that wil come up saying

Subject :- Gordon Freeman

then you will start the game, or just happen to end up

in the station with Dr Kliener speaking to you on that screen!

That's not Keliner talking to you on the screen...it Breen.
As for how the game is going to start, I think it's going to be the same as in the E3 2004 vid, with the whole "Wake up and smell the ashes" thing by the G-Man, then the train ride to City 17.

What about the whole other rumour, that...
G-man is Gordon from the future. (G)ordon Free(man)

i would have thought that was a possible/ crap story, but would make some sense.

Hectic Glenn said:
What about the whole other rumour, that...
G-man is Gordon from the future. (G)ordon Free(man)

i would have thought that was a possible/ crap story, but would make some sense.

:frown: I'd be enfuriated if that rumour became reality. I'd probably cry.

Gman is not Gordon. Its impossible. Absolutly impossible. I'm not even going to bother with spoiler tags the idea is so f'n stupid.

1) Gman saved Gordon from the fire at the end of HL1, by teleporting him away from Nihiliths lair. This is technically impossible if he was Gordon from the future, because he would not have survived the incident in the first place in order to live on and come back and save himself.

2) GMan has Gordon killed if he doesn't agree to work with him. Kill his past self? Not bloodly likely.

3) You are Gordon,. so how are you supposed to believe that GMan is you?!

Oh, and HL2 will start as HL1 did. The curtain will rise, and it will fade in from black. No music or build up,. just straight into consciousness.
Maybe some narrative text, and most likely in the presense of GMan.

crabonhead said:
no it isnt. its probably "the administration"s symbol. isnt the balck mesa symbol lambda?

No, the Lambda Labs symbol was Lambda

BLACK MESA is a mesa inside a circle

The symbol on the GMan's briefcase is the symbol of the Black Mesa Research Facility.

f|uke said:
1) Gman saved Gordon from the fire at the end of HL1, by teleporting him away from Nihiliths lair. This is technically impossible if he was Gordon from the future, because he would not have survived the incident in the first place in order to live on and come back and save himself.

2) GMan has Gordon killed if he doesn't agree to work with him. Kill his past self? Not bloodly likely.

3) You are Gordon,. so how are you supposed to believe that GMan is you?!

4) The G-Man isn't human.
Nihilanth: You are man. He is not man. For you he waits, for you...
I think it's safe to assume he was talking about the G-Man. Unless of course he can see into the future and was talking about someone in HL2 or 3, but, given the circumstances, I don't think so.

As said before, I think hes going to betray Gordon.... that would also just end the rumour of the Gman being Gordon...

But wouldnt that be exciting somehow?

I think everyone has a different opinion about that, but still...

If you play Oppossing Force, theres this guard, the fat barney as I call it, he wears the same symbol on his chest as the Gman on his briefcase.. I dont think it means anything very special

OK GUYS HERES A BREAKTHROUGH ----- in da opposing force manual your character states hes being looked at buy a man in a suit he also sez "COULD HE BE THE G-MAN" and he was looking at them before the black masa incedent accured (scuse me spelling) did the gman no about the incedent b4 it happend *xfiles music play* WE NEED MULDER AND SCULLY :eek:

Maybe the "g"-"man" isn't "g"ordon free"man" but he's alyx from the future? He's gone and had a sex change...... physical change etc etc..... like Miriam...... AHAHAHAHA

:cheers:

Quite.

No, the g-man is in fact the late great Bob Monkhouse himself.

He is Gordon Freeman from the future. Don't believe me? Wait until you play it.

Samon said:
No one ever said he works for the government
No but he did. Says it at the end. "I need to take back your guns, some of them are Goverment property" and he says something else that clearly indicated hes a Goverment man, hence the name G-man anyway.

Look it up

$niffy said:
No but he did. Says it at the end. "I need to take back your guns, some of them are Goverment property" and he says something else that clearly indicated hes a Goverment man, hence the name G-man anyway.

Look it up

I wouldn't look too heavily into the "government property" bit. The G-Man was quite cryptic at the end of HL. With the way he delivered that part, it just came off to me as the G-Man being sly.

1.) He does not sound human.

2.) The G-Man obviously has great control over teleportation. Are you going to tell me that he himself has the perfected technology for teleportation when Black Mesa itself is still doing research on it?

3.) Are you also going to tell me that a mere government employee is going to be able to frolick freely around a hellish and dangerous Black Mesa complex unarmed without even taking notice from the aliens?

4.) If he works for the government and can infilitrate and move around Black Mesa so easily, then why would they need to send in troops and Black Ops?

5.) The Nihilanth comment. I'm positive that it's in reference to the G-Man, seeing as how you finally meet him after defeating Nihilanth. In the progression and context of the game, it only makes sense.

6.) Putting Gordon into stasis for how many years? It smacks me of alien. If he was under government possesion Surely they can put a brilliant scientist/ass-kicker to better use during that time, no?

And there are a slew of other things as well, including the train ride through that space-like environment by the end of the first Half-Life, and the Osprey on Xen that Adrian is placed on. Again, it smacks me of alien.

If it turns out that the G-Man is in fact a government employee, then I will be completely shocked. But I doubt it will turn out that way.

Back