The Great Big List of Discrepancies

Soal_Fish said:
Probably been beaten to this, but oh well; this point makes no sense. The point of the gravity gun is that it basically defies gravity, but to an extent (you cannot pick up cars with it). Take for example a cinderblock and a doll. The cinderblock will obviously go a farther distance than the doll because since gravity is being defied for both objects, then the object with the greatest weight will fly farther because the greater weight will allow it to have a higher velocity when fired. This is applicable because both objects are being fired at the same velocity.

Quoted because I was about to say the same/ a similar thing.
It's called inertia. Greater mass, greater inertia. Sometimes, even objects effected by gravity go farther (sometimes sounding rockets go farther up when weighted, because while they do have more gravitational force pulling them down, they also have more inertia and are therefore harder to slow down.)

NJspeed said:
You got way too much time on your hand to actually think of every little thing wrong and make a huge list!
Immsmc that was all in an old thread and he just decided to copy and paste it and make a new one. Congrats to him :rolleyes:

[sarcasm]Hey John357, how's about you mod HL2 so everything is 'perfect'? You could call it HL2: Nitpicky Asshole Edition. And who cares if it's no fun to play- that's what makes it so awesome![/sarcasm]

but seriously, most of the points you make can be applied to any game. If not for all the bitching about gravity gun issues, I would think you were commenting on VGs in general.

holy shit, the sarcasm and /sarcasm thing worked!

I would like to take this chance to point this out:

This thread title was "The great big list of Discrepancies". He did'nt say you have to do anything about it. He can complain all he wants, and you don't have to listen. All you guys are doing is bitching about the fact that he's pointing out obvious things. Bitch once then or maybe just don't reply.

Myself, i found it interesting.

Geez guys have a sense of humour

the least u can do is point out some funny weirdness of your own!!!
i'm not bitching (unlike some) just finished hl2 for the 6th time today

its a compliment to the game that those are the few mistakes/ omissions etc.

Laugh and move on people

Soal_Fish said:
Probably been beaten to this, but oh well; this point makes no sense. The point of the gravity gun is that it basically defies gravity, but to an extent (you cannot pick up cars with it). Take for example a cinderblock and a doll. The cinderblock will obviously go a farther distance than the doll because since gravity is being defied for both objects, then the object with the greatest weight will fly farther because the greater weight will allow it to have a higher velocity when fired. This is applicable because both objects are being fired at the same velocity.

This is a bunch of bullcrap.

How would "the greater weight will allow it to have a higher velocity when fired" if "both objects are being fired at the same velocity"?

john3571000 said:
Geez guys have a sense of humour

the least u can do is point out some funny weirdness of your own!!!
i'm not bitching (unlike some) just finished hl2 for the 6th time today

its a compliment to the game that those are the few mistakes/ omissions etc.

Laugh and move on people

The thing is that they're not mistakes or omissions....they're (for the most part) things that aren't meant to be in the game, because, as I said, it's not meant to be a freakin' simulator. For not realising this, the OP is an idiot.

Ha! It's quite funny how people leap on anyone who critizes half life 2, and not even in a fully serious way.

Simmer down guys, it's just a thread, half life 2 is not tainted anymore now than it ever was.

I don't know what is more funny. The original post, or the losers that are hurt by this and feel the need to seriously defend a joke about a video game.

I love the thought provoking statements explaining how a video game isn't real life. Thanks for those very insightful statements. Judging some of the fanboy responses you'd think that they're the ones who need to be reminded this is just a game.

In fact, I seem to notice that the gravity gun has reverse what it should be! It launches small things (medkits, loose grenades) LESS far than it launches barrels and axels and stuff! I tried it on the bridge! Its not air resistance cuz the missle would have less than a fuel barrel

I believe it's because the lighter something is, the less far you can throw it. However, since the gravity gun makes all things weightless when they are in the gun, they launch everything at the same speed. Then, depending on how heavy the object is, the further it should fly. If you drop a 500 pound piano and a 5 pound rock from the Empire State Building, the piano will hit the street first.

Azlan said:
I believe it's because the lighter something is, the less far you can throw it. However, since the gravity gun makes all things weightless when they are in the gun, they launch everything at the same speed. Then, depending on how heavy the object is, the further it should fly. If you drop a 500 pound piano and a 5 pound rock from the Empire State Building, the piano will hit the street first.

Weightless objects still have mass, therefore they need a larger force to accelerate them to the same velocity.

The piano and the rock will hit the street at the same time (there may be a few milliseconds difference cause of the air resistance)

My theory is that the gun creates a temporary localized gravity well in front of the object (or an antigravity well behind it :)), meaning that the objects won't be propelled because of something pushing them but they are propelled by gravity forces.

Therefore all objects should accelerate to the same velocity (cause force applied by gravity is proportional to object's mass).

The conclusion will be that all objects should fly as far except for some smaller objects that are less affected by air friction.

Back