The iPad???

And in greater numbers!

Dan, which slice of which market are you referring to here? I'm not really sure if it's massively viable as an e-reader, the TFT screen would be fatiguing to read from and it's a big device.

Natural selection is already happening. People marrying only pretty people is a bad thing, too many kids in the future with perfect genes. We're, without realising it, creating a natural form of genetic alteration of the human species.

All the fugglies will become extinct.

Or will have to live under a bridge.

The rich and elite of society allegedly will attain their own created vision of beauty that they've been bestowing on the likes of us for years.

Through minor influences such as Mercury-filled syringes, poorly rated foods etc. eventually there will be a noticeable border between the two.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-489653/Human-race-split-different-species.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6057734.stm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/evolution/6432628/Rich-may-evolve-into-separate-species.html

Just look at illuminati-owned media lol, usually an outlet for what they want, or most of the time, what they want you to think!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet Bostonians are having a hell of a time passing on this news story by word of mouth as "pod" sounds too much like "pad" with their accent.

I was thinking the same thing. Not familiar enough with accents to say it's specifically Bostonian, but I supposed quite a lot of people pronounce iPod as "iPahd". The again, the iPad may be pronounced as "iPehd".

tbh I have a hard time taking anything in those links seriously.

And in greater numbers!

Dan, which slice of which market are you referring to here? I'm not really sure if it's massively viable as an e-reader, the TFT screen would be fatiguing to read from and it's a big device.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this screen is an LED which would generally make it better to read on than a TFT. I don't know if LED falls under the category of TFT, but the OLED screens I've seen (Zune HD) haven't bothered me when I tried to use the web browser on it. Then again, I didn't use it for a long period of time.

Oh, that's fair enough - I'm massively behind on display tech, I just look at flat screens and assume they're TFT! Rubbish!

Apple posted the tech specs yesterday and it has a "9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology."

Makes more sense to buy a mini-laptop tbh. A lot cheaper.

Makes more sense to buy a mini-laptop tbh. A lot cheaper.

price is not an issue with the cionsumer it's targeted at. and most of those consumers already have laptops, netbooks, iphones etc.

it's a media aggregator for people who already have laptops/pcs but want everyday access to their media without having to sit at their desks/kitchen table

I predict this wil sell like hotcakes. I mean if you're going to buy an e-reader (and market research says 6 million will this year) why would you spend $300 on a black and white one trick pony device when for a bit more you can get an e-reader that also plays music/videos/games/apps ..AND is a conduit to itunes.

apple positioned themselves in the right place with this device; ahead of everyone else; watch everyone else play catchup in 2010.

that said personally I dont really see that much of a use till it has more work related functionality but then again I'm rarely an early adopter of anything

I think it really depends on how fast this thing boots up. If I can pick it up, read some news, put it down with a simple button that turns off the screen just like on the iTouch/iPhone, then pick it up hours later and go right back to browsing without having to wait for a boot then this might turn out to be a fairly decent device.

I don't know that this will ever have any useful work applications since it doesn't allow you to run multiple apps in the background.

price is not an issue with the cionsumer it's targeted at. and most of those consumers already have laptops, netbooks, iphones etc.

it's a media aggregator for people who already have laptops/pcs but want everyday access to their media without having to sit at their desks/kitchen table

I predict this wil sell like hotcakes. I mean if you're going to buy an e-reader (and market research says 6 million will this year) why would you spend $300 on a black and white one trick pony device when for a bit more you can get an e-reader that also plays music/videos/games/apps ..AND is a conduit to itunes.

apple positioned themselves in the right place with this device; ahead of everyone else; watch everyone else play catchup in 2010.

that said personally I dont really see that much of a use till it has more work related functionality but then again I'm rarely an early adopter of anything

Media aggregator you say? I love watching widescreen movies on a 4:3 screen! Isn't there a website or two where you can stream video content for free? That sounds pretty neat, but it's too bad they all don't work without flash support. Want to stream music from Pandora while you browse the web? Too bad... Apple hates multitasking. Hey cheer up, because your friend has a movie on his computer that he'd like to give you via flash drive! Shame you don't have a USB port to do so, though. A little bummed about the measly amount of storage on your iPad, which is a media aggregator designed to hold all sorts of movies and music? Just drop in an SD card and... break it on the oversized bezel that has no media card slots of any kind! Well, books don't take up a lot of space, so there's always that e-reader feature... just take care not to have your eyes burned out of your skull. Who needs e-ink anyways, it's only black and white! What is this, the 40's?

The iPad, as detailed by sir Jobs, seems to be targeted at a niche of a niche. In it's current iteration, I expect this to sell an amount somewhere between the Apple TV and Macbook Air. Those who do decide to purchase one, despite all it's shortcomings for the price, probably deserve to have a device that's more locked down than Madagascar during flu season. I was honestly looking forward to what it could have been, too.

Do it like that Microsoft, and you'll have me on day one.

^^ yea but what that video simulation shows might be more than microsoft can deliver. Microsoft has really shaken my trust in their hardware, I like the 360 as much as the next guy but come on, 54% fail rate? Replacing failed parts with parts you know will fail again? That's just bad from a customer's view.

Hopefully microsoft has learned a lot from that, and they take all the criticism from the iPad and put those features into the courier. They have the upper hand right now and the real question is if they can deliver.

Media aggregator you say? I love watching widescreen movies on a 4:3 screen! Isn't there a website or two where you can stream video content for free?

this is exactly what they said when itunes charged money for downloadable music and now they're the biggest music retailer in north america. the kind of consumer this is aimed at arent the type to nickle and dime their way to getting what they want. Like I've already stated; this wouldnt be their only computer

That sounds pretty neat, but it's too bad they all don't work without flash support.

iphone/itouch wont either and hey they own a huge chunk of the market

Want to stream music from Pandora while you browse the web? Too bad... Apple hates multitasking.

iphone users dont seem to mind

Hey cheer up, because your friend has a movie on his computer that he'd like to give you via flash drive! Shame you don't have a USB port to do so, though. A little bummed about the measly amount of storage on your iPad, which is a media aggregator designed to hold all sorts of movies and music? Just drop in an SD card and... break it on the oversized bezel that has no media card slots of any kind! Well, books don't take up a lot of space, so there's always that e-reader feature... just take care not to have your eyes burned out of your skull. Who needs e-ink anyways, it's only black and white! What is this, the 40's?

absolutely none of this matters to the type of consumer this is aimed at. time and time again companies come out with knockoffs of apple products that have more features and yet Apple STILL holds 75% share of the portable music player market

pc power users will never understand the appeal of apple products because they're the exact opposite of the typical apple consumer

The iPad, as detailed by sir Jobs, seems to be targeted at a niche of a niche. In it's current iteration, I expect this to sell an amount somewhere between the Apple TV and Macbook Air. Those who do decide to purchase one, despite all it's shortcomings for the price, probably deserve to have a device that's more locked down than Madagascar during flu season. I was honestly looking forward to what it could have been, too.

I bet this will appeal to millions. this will be made more apparent as more and more companies try to play catch up to apple. lets compare notes in a year. I have a feeling (considering their track record) I'll be telling you I told you so

Do it like that Microsoft, and you'll have me on day one.

lol microsoft is terrible at portable devices; their marketing is absolutely ineffectual at selling what is otherwise a half decent product. at this point I dont think I'd purtchase microsoft hardware (sole exception being xbox) for fear of it quickly becoming abandonware

absolutely none of this matters to the type of consumer this is aimed at.

typical apple consumer

Who already have an iPhone and a Macbook. This is an oversized iPhone with less features. Let's see if Apple banking on the zealotry of their fanbase pays off for them, because it certainly hasn't for a handful of their previous "innovations".

Who already have an iPhone and a Macbook. This is an oversized iPhone with less features. Let's see if Apple banking on the zealotry of their fanbase pays off for them, because it certainly hasn't for a handful of their previous "innovations".

such as ....? are you gonna bring up the Newton? the Pippin? how about the Cube? so they have a few failures in 30 odd years of business and that somehow proves this will also be a failure?

it's not their fanbase. it's yoiung urban hipsters with money to burn

such as ....? are you gonna bring up the Newton? the Pippin? how about the Cube? so they have a few failures in 30 odd years of business and that somehow proves this will also be a failure?

And the 3rd gen shuffle among the two that I already mentioned. I didn't say it was proof, but just because the iPad might appeal to some limited market does not exactly foreshadow it selling millions. If the various social media sites and tech blogs are an accurate predictor of this thing's success, it's being criticized pretty harshly.

If the various social media sites and tech blogs are an accurate predictor of this thing's success, it's being criticized pretty harshly.

I'm not saying the iPad will be successful, but I can't think of an apple product that hasn't been criticized.

But it's a bad sign when even the guys on mac forums seem to be mostly let-down by it.

But it's a bad sign when even the guys on mac forums seem to be mostly let-down by it.

Yes, this is what I was getting at. The iPhone was generally well received on the internet when it was announced, and not just by Apple fans.

Maximum storage is 64 gigs. Too little space to be used for a laptop, too big in size to be used as an Iphone touch.

Even the name sucks. Why not ITampon instead?

iPad comes out tomorrow (US), who's getting one? I am.

I think it looks handy enough, I'd probably get on. Would be useless for pr0n though, unless you put it on the floor and look down on hit but then you might hit your own eye.

ipad_01.jpg

Oh cool wow! I haven't seen that one!

I'm looking forward to the book store + youtube in bed.

Just.. go get a laptop? For the same price and you can also play video games?

Or an iPod so you can do the exact same thing and carry it in your pocket.

Back