The Lost Coast - Requirements?

Is HDR going to imlemented into the whole game, and this new level is just going to be a away to use it to its full advantage?

Thanks,

Imrahil

It's disgusting that Valve are being elitist in this way.
Unless it is purely a demonstration map and is absolutely no fun in any way what so ever.

Jandor said:
It's disgusting that Valve are being elitist in this way.
Unless it is purely a demonstration map and is absolutely no fun in any way what so ever.

Stop being selfish. That's like complaining how you can't run a next-gen game because it's so "elitist." It's a free add-on for those who can run it and Valve wants to show off what they can do.

Not even close to disgusting.

Maybe they could make an add-on for those with the lowest possible required hardware, to show off how crappy they can make the game look. It could be a cube map without any textures

Mmm-k, What I mean to say is, why can't they make a map that the whole of there customers can play, rather than those high-end users. Sure make it really snazzy to show off what you can do, but would a low end version without HDR really hurt anyone?
If you can turn off HDR or download a low-end version my point is moot, but. There ya go.

A much calmer response there :D

Jandor said:
Mmm-k, What I mean to say is, why can't they make a map that the whole of there customers can play, rather than those high-end users. Sure make it really snazzy to show off what you can do, but would a low end version without HDR really hurt anyone?
If you can turn off HDR or download a low-end version my point is moot, but. There ya go.

Being calmer and optimistic is better. You don't die as fast. :D

They'll probably release something to keep the rest of us happy. Someone might even release a less detailed version.

:D

The X800 isn't going to be the minimum. The 9600 series would be my bet for the minimum, given that Half Life 2 was packaged with the earlier 9600XTs.

Jandor said:

Didn't the note on Steam say that it's just an adapted HL2 level? If that's the case, there's not really going to be gameplay we haven't already seen, just new graphical effects.

2.8ghz Prescott
1024mb ram (low latencty)
9600xt (256mb saphire)
7200rpm WD harddrive

d'keesto said:
Didn't the note on Steam say that it's just an adapted HL2 level? If that's the case, there's not really going to be gameplay we haven't already seen, just new graphical effects.

From the Concept Art, it looks like an extension of Coast, featuring a section involving a castle..... Not a old level converted.

dunno why your all gettin so worked up about it,its just 1 lvl + it probably wont be out till summer since they havent even released the new hl2:dm and cs:s maps etc yet so imagine how long this will take

I don't know, I just poped in Far Cry and installed it (haven't played it for a long time since I really didn't enjoy the game the one time I played it through) and installed the new patch that allows HDR.

The effect was obvious and made the game look a little bit more realistic, especially if you are inside and there is just a small open hole for light to come through. The game still ran as smoothly as without it.

So my question is, how much of a frame drop can we expect with HDR turned on.

PS: I have a 9800Pro

Jandor said:

Was giving everyone HL2: DM FOR FREE not enough?

Christ, some people are never satisfied. They planned these "ATI" levels for people who went out and bought the "high end" cards long ago. And now when they deliver, people that never bought the cards bitch, as if Valve owes them or something. :angel:

The entire point of the level is to show off the full capabilities of source, so why the hell would they make it for lower end systems? That defeats the whole purpose.

Roland Deschain said:
I don't know, I just poped in Far Cry and installed it (haven't played it for a long time since I really didn't enjoy the game the one time I played it through) and installed the new patch that allows HDR.

The effect was obvious and made the game look a little bit more realistic, especially if you are inside and there is just a small open hole for light to come through. The game still ran as smoothly as without it.

So my question is, how much of a frame drop can we expect with HDR turned on.

PS: I have a 9800Pro

bit off topic but wasnt hdr in fc only for the nvidia cards or was that just ps3.0 support :dozey: ,also did you try that ' Normal Map Compression.',they say this is only for geforce and x800 or higher ati cards,you have a 9800pro so i guess you havent tried it

Was giving everyone HL2: DM FOR FREE not enough?

Christ, some people are never satisfied. They planned these "ATI" levels for people who went out and bought the "high end" cards long ago. And now when they deliver, people that never bought the cards bitch, as if Valve owes them or something.

The entire point of the level is to show off the full capabilities of source, so why the hell would they make it for lower end systems? That defeats the whole purpose.

They can simply make an option to switch HDR off in the level, I'm not asking for the world. A huge warning that takes up your entire screen as a disclaimer could be put in as well:
"You have switched HDR off, This level will look dramatically different! You do not have HDR on! switch it on now to experience full prettyness! I repeat, switch it back on or give up your right to whinge!
Press Play to play without HDR!! WITHOUT HDR!!
Press Cancel to go back."

Also I have a 56k, so I couldn't care less about DM ;)

do you reckon GeForce FX 5200 128mb will be accepted? it is not a dx 9 card though :(

Jandor said:
They can simply make an option to switch HDR off in the level, I'm not asking for the world. A huge warning that takes up your entire screen as a disclaimer could be put in as well:
"You have switched HDR off, This level will look dramatically different! You do not have HDR on! switch it on now to experience full prettyness! I repeat, switch it back on or give up your right to whinge!
Press Play to play without HDR!! WITHOUT HDR!!
Press Cancel to go back."

Also I have a 56k, so I couldn't care less about DM ;)

I doubt it's just HDR that will require high-end hardware. The coast levels are already pretty demanding, and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up upping the poly counts or something.

Meh, I'll just turn some detail down to play it, shadows or something.

ch0ke said:
do you reckon GeForce FX 5200 128mb will be accepted? it is not a dx 9 card though :(
I'm pretty sure a dx9 card is required for hdr effects..

All people who've paid more than £100 or so for their video card should be able to play it. They may be calling their requirements "high" but judging from their survey, "high" is considered a pretty standard rig for most up to date technophiles. 9800 will most certainly run it, probably 9600 too.

We're also forgetting abouy what other requirements they might want aswell, my processor is gonna be (if anything) what might not let me play these levels, its only 1.59ghz.

"On that note, one cabal has already started work on what Newell refers to as the "ATI levels," a series of single-player levels that will require a super-high-end graphics card to run. Valve hopes to release those over Steam later this year"

As I understand it, everything is being upgraded, textures, polycount , lighting effects.

satch919 said:
I've got a X800 XT PE here so I think im covered. ;)
Make that X850 XT PE & I'm covered (in the middle of April at least) ;)

I am waiting for HDR levels too because by that time I will have a card that can run it. I would expect a large framerate drop (or cap like in far cry). If anyone has seen or played with HDR in far cry it does look amazing but lowers your top FPS by a lot (about the same as enabling AA by 4 or something) Most people report very little frame rate drop overall but their frame rate stops going over a certain amount (If FPS didnt go below 30 before it still wont but it wont go up to 100 now maybe just 60). Also in far cry you needed a SM 3.0 card to run HDR which explains why the guy with the 9800pro didnt see any FPS drop (because your card doesnt support HDR in that game). Finally AA wasnt compatible with the HDR shaders in far cry so I would like to see how it works in Half Life 2.

You won't be able to use AA with any kind of HDR on current hardware. AA is not supported on any render target/texture higher than x8r8g8b8/a8r8g8b8

Nostradamus said:
The minimus req will be directx cards simple as that.

I'd be scared if there was a card that didn't have directx, it depends on what level of directx which in this case, most likely 9.

And it's also not as 'simple as that,' you can't just grab a directx 9 card and throw it in a 486 and expect it to run.

xcellerate said:
9800se 128mb 256bit

hmm...

Why in the world did you go with the so-called "Special Edition"?? They're horrible. You were probobly better off with a regular 9600 or somthing.

I think you'll be looking at double the original minimum specs at least.

czrsink said:
I think you'll be looking at double the original minimum specs at least.

I doubt it. With the patch that came out for farcry supporting HDR you didn't need double the requirements, just a video card that supported it [and obviously other decent hardware].

Well Valve have said it needs to meet a specific set of 'high end hardware requirements', that's not going to be a DX6 graphics card, a 1.2Ghz processor and 128MB ram, is it?

Perhaps I should have written 'almost'. Double the minimum requirements might be a bit too much.

Anyway, if you ever need to read older Valve updates, what do you do? Simple - just take the URL of the existing update and change the date.

http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/Feb4.2005/?l=english
http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/Jan26.2005/?l=english
http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/Jan19.2005/?l=english

Or is there a more obvious way of seeing these updates?

If they use Steam to detect our comp's speed, then only send the level if it's fast enough, then that's BS.

I'll be able to play it fine anyway.

czrsink said:
Well Valve have said it needs to meet a specific set of 'high end hardware requirements', that's not going to be a DX6 graphics card, a 1.2Ghz processor and 128MB ram, is it?

Perhaps I should have written 'almost'. Double the minimum requirements might be a bit too much.

ahh k, i understand what you mean :)

destrukt said:
I doubt it. With the patch that came out for farcry supporting HDR you didn't need double the requirements, just a video card that supported it [and obviously other decent hardware].
This is not a general level release but a release of the "ATI levels" that require "a super-high-end graphics card to run". Everything is being upgraded, not just the HDR implementation.

i have a radeon 9600, and dx 9 i think. i haft check when i get home. it could be a 9600 pro.

Back