The Lost Coast - Requirements?

Also, I don't think Valve will stop anyone from downloading it. Sure, you can download it, but you'll be lucky to get more than 1-2 fps out of the min spec requirements, or something.

I'm curious to see where this level ends up. You know, like is it going to be listed as another chapter in the "New Game" option or what? Also, will people who haven't passed HL2 yet be able to play it?

Think of it as an engine tech demo instead of as part of the game. It'll make your brain hurt less.

Do they have plans on adding HDR into the normal game? I am guessing they would someday. Anyway we dont even know a release dates or a release month for that matter so by the time this level comes out we might all have XX800 and 7800s and still wondering if your new card can play the map. All i am saying is that I think we should wait and get some real news from VALVe and then start make predictions. We dont want to have the same this that happened for Doom 3 where everone got super top of the line stuff in early 2003 and then had to wait till late 2004 and then there spec weren't nearley as good.

I have a question: is HDR used anywhere in the PC version of Halo? Or is it just like "fake" HDR.

It's just a bloom effect used in Halo.

lordoftheroot said:
Do they have plans on adding HDR into the normal game? I am guessing they would someday. Anyway we dont even know a release dates or a release month for that matter so by the time this level comes out we might all have XX800 and 7800s and still wondering if your new card can play the map. All i am saying is that I think we should wait and get some real news from VALVe and then start make predictions. We dont want to have the same this that happened for Doom 3 where everone got super top of the line stuff in early 2003 and then had to wait till late 2004 and then there spec weren't nearley as good.

probably be released or atleast shown off at gdc next month.

Mountain Man said:
According to Valve's hardware survey, less than 15% of their customer base will be able to play these levels.

Woo hoo!
I'm part of those 170,087 people that have an ATI 9800!

But, I also have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, and it says it runs @ 1.5Ghz, but I can't visually tell any difference between it and my work PC, a Pentium 2.4Ghz. Sometimes it even runs a lot faster.

Hopefully, they won't cap the processor limit for my level, since it runs this game faster than other processors that claim to run at a higher Ghz...

:edit:
It's good to see that Half-Life is AGAIN "raising the bar" of video games, much similar to the first Half-Life, where it was the first to use true 3d-surround-sound and sound-environments (sounds echo like you're in a cement room, a metal room, or outside).

Now other games will start to use this HDR technology, but it's good to see that Half-Life was one of the first to use it.

:D

th3Phallex said:
Woo hoo!
I also have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ and it says it runs @ 1.5Ghz

That wouldnt make a lot of sense... I have a XP 2400+ and it runs at 2.0ghz. I think the XP 2600 + is supposed to run at 2.13ghz

Sainku said:
That wouldnt make a lot of sense... I have a XP 2400+ and it runs at 2.0ghz. I think the XP 2600 + is supposed to run at 2.13ghz

To be exact, I'm pretty sure it's a 2500+ and it said it runs at 1.83Ghz.

But I don't remember what it said BEFORE I installed my ATI Radeon 9800 256.

A co-worker of mine has the same MoBo as me, and when he installed his 9800, it brought his processor speed down. This might have happened to me, I'm not sure. Although, his is an ATI-brand, while mine is a "PowerColor" brand.

I will check it again later today.

Sainku said:

He has a Barton core most likely.

Isn't HDR included in some areas of HL2 already?

I think I remember an operating chair of some sort in the hl2dm 'lockdown' level, where when you looked at a light shining on this chair, you got kinda' blinded...

Any other examples?

So what's the big thing with HDR if it's in HL2 already?

There isnt any HDR in half life already it is all done using sprites and other tricks. It saves a lot of processing power (GPU) and provides almost the same effect.

sorry weak minded fools, but the HDR they are talking about is digital image rendering at high range instead of using sprites.

meaning the min will be an x800/6800 range video card.
I dont have either but my mate does and we found this out looking round the net one day. Sorry

th3Phallex said:
Now other games will start to use this HDR technology, but it's good to see that Half-Life was one of the first to use it.

:D

Farcry had it before. Probably a few other games before that.

@oddworld:

Min. can be anything DX9 right now. Last generation of cards can do HDR too.

Mate i said digital image redendering, is a type of hdr only next gen vids have. Go to the half life2 site and look, it says so.
And no farcry does not use hdr its due next patch with full 3dc support, retard

oddworld said:
Mate i said digital image redendering, is a type of hdr only next gen vids have. Go to the half life2 site and look, it says so.

/me goes to Valve's site

/me finds this:

- High-Dynamic Range lighting

/me wonders where did oddworld get this stuff..

Yes, let's all look around on the net for one day and magically become geniuses.

For the damn record, digital image rendering is when you render a digital image (omfg, the obvious). I believe you are talking about HDR image-based lighting...something we don't need next-gen cards to run.

/me points to : http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html

We already saw Valve demo a 9x00 card with FP16 HDR.

mememememememememememememememe.

Now what is this Lost Coast thing? An expansion pack or what?

A level for high end computers with enhanced graphics, that showcases what the Source engine is capabable of. A tech demo.

Which I've accepted I probably won't be able to run. Hell, I don't even know how this "specification check" will work. If my machine is too low end, will I be forever refused access to the LC level, or will Steam detect changes if and when I upgraded and thus allow me to get it?

oddworld said:
meaning the min will be an x800/6800 range video card.
I dont have either but ...

Yeah, right.

I downloaded that application/demo-thing and ran it on my 9800Pro, 60-80FPS with no options, ~40FPS with 4xMultisample...

This worked fine on my card, which is considered a "medium-level" card. Those x800s are Top-Level.

I saw what this technology is supposed to do, and it's obviously not in HL2 already.

For instance, say you're staring at an object right in front of you (like the skull), like you're holding it. When you swing around, and the background has lights in it, the lighting will actually dim & brighten according to how you're looking at the object. If you are holding the object in front of a light, the lighting will go dark, as if your eyes are "getting used to the light". Then, when you turn around 180, so the light is behind you, it will lighten up the whole room and all objects, because you're not staring directly at a light anymore. Does this make sense?

Anyway, it's a very impressive effect, especially when you can turn on maximum detail. I used to think that computer-generated images would never match realistic lighting -- until now.

oddworld said:

/has already used hdr in farcry. And yes, it looks awesome.
(retard)

You are both retards for playing far cry and not Half-Life 2. :p

Anyway, I wonder if they'll suggest a program to benchmark your PC, (so you know how well it will run the new ATI maps)...??

farcry sucks balls. But on topic, I'm lookin' forward to the lost coast maps, I'm eager to see what the new gameplay is.

th3Phallex said:
You are both retards for playing far cry and not Half-Life 2. :p

Why FC came out 7 month before HL2. Hell my little sister could have finished FC in 7 months.

As if i care Jalf life2 sux. What about all the stuff they said was ganna be in and able to do, none is in the game.
The AI sux, they just run at u and shoot like idiots. Gameplay is ok but levels r stupid one minute ur on the coast next ur in a crappy prizon.
Squark

oddworld said:
As if i care Jalf life2 sux. What about all the stuff they said was ganna be in and able to do, none is in the game.
The AI sux, they just run at u and shoot like idiots. Gameplay is ok but levels r stupid one minute ur on the coast next ur in a crappy prizon.
Squark

Take some English classes, dipshit.

I do agree Jalf Life 2 sucked man, AI sucked, and they changed everything, and the story was so random..

But Half Life 2 was amazing, awesome AI, and it was just what we expected, and the story progressed really well.

Sorry, I had to do that.. :p

When Valve decide to make a sequel of Jalf's Life there was an outrage and Jalf's Life fell apart at the seams so he started drinking and looking for younger women.

Me and my mate had a good laugh at the things said since what i wrote.
Firstly u all r such drowns, when ur in a forum and someone gets pissed of its funny to see people going ur spelling sux. Hey im not english and wouldnt want ur stupid language.
Second hucele puck

Could you explain what a "drown" is? In our language, it means to sufficate underwater.

Also, you already know our "stupid language", actually, you know it well enough to actually use short online versions of words.. i'm not buying that you joined a forum about a game you hate and a language you don't know, and if you did just to spam it, i'd stop right now..

I think oddworld means
Image Based Rendering.
That is taking a 2d image and rendering it in 3d.
It allows for more photorealistic graphics. It was oringally planned in HL2 but cancled due to the majority of people's graphic cards didn't have enough memory or somtin.

It will be used in HL3.
Was on a Pc Gamer magazine.
Much diffrent than HDR though.

I think he was just trolling.
Ignore him and he'll go away.

Anyway, this HDR seems like it might be a little annoying.

Let's say you're outside and it's sunny, and you have to take cover inside. When you run inside, the lighting will go dim and you'll have to wait for it to adjust to normal.

Is this really needed for a fast-paced FPS??

oddworld said:
I cant wait till America is fully bombed by terrorists or russia(nuked).

I had a chuckly at the vaginal caverns thing though

I'm going to drive to my mansion (I got the land from a poor farming family, bought it for like a dollar an acre, and had it built by Mexican slaves) in my 2005 Big-ass-SUV, throw my coke can out the window, and jump in front of my dual 6800 Ultra equipted machine while the faucet is running and laugh at you the whole time.

Other than that, I can't wait for the level. Sounds sweet. :farmer:

Back