The Mandatory "What book are you reading now?" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Light Fantastic. I could put forward complaints, but it still leaves me wondering why I have not discovered Pratchett earlier.

Almost finished with Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. This book is long.

To the Last Man by Jeff Shaara. An accurate and well written account of World War 1 specifically focusing on the importance of air power and famous flying aces. Pretty much the book equivalent of a wet dream for me.

It by Stephen King. Fantastic. One of the scariest books i've ever read. The 1000 plus pages are flying by.

Legionnaire - bill parris

simply awesome. i should to join the legion in a few years.

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (third read-through!)

Sin City - The Big Fat Kill

Just got the entire set a few days ago, loving it.

I'm reading a Chinese comic called Bowling King. This shit's awesome.

SimpleAssassin said:
The Two Swords. Hunters Blades trilogy.

very good
Wow I've got The Lone Drow sitting on my bed right now.

TC Boyle - The Road to Welville

Oh man, this book is funny. "An erection is a flagpole on your grave!"

I'm reading a Chinese comic called Bowling King. This shit's awesome.

Wow I've got The Lone Drow sitting on my bed right now.

Whats amazing is i got it for free after joining this book club thing.

i wish id been able to read the others first but i picked up what was going on pretty quick

Ah. There's a lot of Drizzt before the Hunters Blades trilogy, if you ever feel like reading more. There's 13 books before that (technically 14, but one of them doesn't really have Drizzt in it at all).

I started reading the Drizzt books after reading War of the Spider Queen, which is also about the Drow but has nothing to do with Drizzt or any of his friends. That's a good series too.

P.F. Thomese - J. Kessels: The Novel

This book is an ode to road stories like the ones Kerouac and Hunter Thompson wrote. While it succeeds on absurdity and funny it lacks the tempo and pacing. Fairly good read but I'll probably start reading Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas again as soon as I finished this.

Presently reading 'Generation Kill' which I picked up the other day and am about 3/4 the way through. Loved the HBO mini-series (which I highly recommend if you haven't seen it). The book is naturally a lot more in depth about the nitty gritty of the day to day and doesn't hold back in painting the ugly side of warfare as well as the utter chaos that constitutes operations in the field, at times. Recommended: -

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Kill-Captain-America-American/dp/0399151931

^^^^ I loved that miniseries too, although it wasn't anything like I expected.

I finally finished the last few chapters of Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Good book, smart reading, although you're probably already screwed if you hadn't already figured out the stuff he's saying on your own. I'm going to read his book The Story of B next since I borrowed it from a friend months ago and haven't touched it.

An incredibly intense Hare Krishna handed me a copy of the Bhagavad-gita as I was walking through the Pit, which is a central part of campus where there are always about a thousand people passing through. It has full-color illustrations, hardcover, and includes sanskrit original, roman transliteration, english synonym translation, english adjusted translation, and interpretation for every damn sentence of the text. He practically made me promise to study it, insisting that "Thoreau, all those guys, they all studied this extensively, you really should man, you REALLY should". Pretty cool I guess, but he was a little freaky. I'm going to re-read it since this version is a lot nicer than the crappy used paperback version I had before.

Just finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercombie , a superior fantasy, can be a bit brutal at times.

And working my way quickly through Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan , great sci-fi, with future tech noir chucked into the mix. Top stuff!

Getting into philosophy a bit...

The Ethics - Benedict de Spinoza

I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy at the moment and I'm loving it. Well, I say loving it when in actual fact I am both terrified and shook by it, but I can't put it down for the life of me so make of that what you will.

Oh yeah, The Road is fantastic. Really destroyed me emotionally for the short time I was reading it.

Just finished reading The Briar King, by Greg Keyes. I really enjoyed it. I wrote a review of it, feel free to mock my atrocious writing: link.

Just started The Amber Wizard by David Forbes. Really not very good so far.

Henry IV - Part One
Henry IV - Part Two
Henry V

by Shakey Bill Arden

omg. omg. These are great. I mean, we know Shakespeare's great - no shit. But these are fantastic to read in sequence, because they share many characters, who rise, fall, change, switch sides or ascend to the throne in the course of all three plays. And in that sense it's like an early modern The Godfather, covering a long period of English political history, focusing on the crown, its government, and its wars. Watching the playright work with his characteristic gravity and wit through three sequels when you're used to self-contained comedies and tragedies is absolutely captivating, as is tracking the progress of their multiple characters, and the ideas of history and authority that they traffic in.

For completeness, include Richard II, which is the earliest of what scholars awesomely call The Henriad.

Monster Blood Tattoo - Part 1: Foundling

An odd, fantasy book, makes good reading though.

The Stranger by Albert Camus.

Read it in high school but didn't feel like I understood the last part and didn't have time to go through and re-read it. I know a lot of people say they love this book, but I'm about 1/3 of the way through now and still waiting for something interesting to happen.....

I think the problem I have with books like this, is that I just don't care about any of the characters. The same went for Great Gatsby and to a lesser extent Catcher in the Rye. Maybe I just never understood either of those books either.

Ender's Game.

Love it so far, and I plan to read the rest of the series.

Lord of the Flies -- for school.

Eats, Shoots, And Leaves -- for school, but I'm enjoying it very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back