The Odessa and Gman conspiracy

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
Many of you have played HL2 all ready.

On highway 17, you get to enter a combine controlled building where an electro camera has been placed atop of a sentry gun-type tripod.

http://img95.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img95&image=d2_coast_030047.jpg

If you look through them, you get to see Odessa having a conversation with Gman, as many you have known already.

The main question is, what are they conversing about?
Are they long time buddies?
Is he warning him about the gunships?
Offering him a job?

It is still open to debate.

But one thing might be pointing towards the colonel

"...much about the Colonel is open to question: from his slightly askew mustache, to his supposedly British accent, which many suspect is as false as the military exploits with which he regales his followers."

The strategy guide also stated that he is FAR TOO YOUNG for some of the military exploits that he was involved in. Is it possible that like Dr Freeman, Odessa was transported through time doing Jobs for the Gman. The mustache and the insane british accent (an accent that you hardly here these days), it is possible that he is from the mid 20th century.

There is one other thing for sure, he knew of the gunships presence. The fact that the nearest rebel outposts is at least four miles down the road either way, it leads me to believe Gman told him about the threat.

I've probably over-extended myself, but if you wish to come up with your speculations or add to one that I've created feel free to do so.

Genius man. Genius. I never even thought that Odessa could be another pawn of the G-Man. Hmmm. Now what? Maybe he will play a bigger role in the sequel or even his own expansion.

Makes sense. The G-Man seems to have several "agents".

This is a good theroy...

Ooh! Maybe G-Man collects them! Like, as a hobby.

'Mister Action' Odessa with Mustache Flip Action!
'The' Freeman, comes with crowbar and other cool accesories!
Sargent Shepard with interchangable outfits!

All figures come with dozens of points of articulation, and are GUARANTEED to never break time-space!

That's a great theory. I expect the GMan has placed his pawns inside the Resistance from day 1. People like Odessa are probably happy with what's going on, and have instructions to give da main man G Freestyla the glory and chances.

DEATH eVADER said:
Many of you have played HL2 all ready.

On highway 17, you get to enter a combine controlled building where an electro camera has been placed atop of a sentry gun-type tripod.

http://img95.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img95&image=d2_coast_030047.jpg

If you look through them, you get to see Odessa having a conversation with Gman, as many you have known already.

The main question is, what are they conversing about?
Are they long time buddies?
Is he warning him about the gunships?
Offering him a job?

It is still open to debate.

But one thing might be pointing towards the colonel

"...much about the Colonel is open to question: from his slightly askew mustache, to his supposedly British accent, which many suspect is as false as the military exploits with which he regales his followers."

The strategy guide also stated that he is FAR TOO YOUNG for some of the military exploits that he was involved in. Is it possible that like Dr Freeman, Odessa was transported through time doing Jobs for the Gman. The mustache and the insane british accent (an accent that you hardly here these days), it is possible that he is from the mid 20th century.

There is one other thing for sure, he knew of the gunships presence. The fact that the nearest rebel outposts is at least four miles down the road either way, it leads me to believe Gman told him about the threat.

I've probably over-extended myself, but if you wish to come up with your speculations or add to one that I've created feel free to do so.
It's a reasonably good theory. However, it lacks purpose. For such a small character role to have a major part in the GMan's so-called conspiracy, wouldn't a little more evidence be given to the fact?

My assumption from seeing those two communicate is that he was simply telling Odessa that Freeman was on his way. Notice how everyone wherever he goes always seems to expect him?

Regarding the gunships, I think that it was probably radio communication. These are outposts we are talking about, and lack of intercommunication seems just slightly infantile. IF indeed it was the GMan, I don't think this points to some conspiracy/hidden plot. He was simply saying something along the lines of:

"Hey dude, Gordon's on his way, and there are some gunships coming too. Get your act together."

Besides, he was a wuss. Any potential material for the GMan to use has to at least have some gumption. He practically volunteers Gordon for the job of eliminating the gunship.

if you go into the house before the 2 combine soldiers come out you catch one of the combine soldiers peering through the zoom camera. Maybe the house was a combine spy outpost from which the watched the rebel activity from afar. It may be Freemans presence in this spy outpost that triggers the combine to attack from the fear of discovery and that the rebels would escape?

I think this is a very good theory. For some reason Valve made a lot of fuss about Odessa. If they didn't everyone would think of him just as a funny British guy, but obviously he is more important than other NPCs (ie Father Grigory).

Maybe it`s a whole organization with many people like the g-man and they are the bosses of "privates" who acctualy fight and it`s like an army.

cleckmoon said:
This is a good theroy...

Ooh! Maybe G-Man collects them! Like, as a hobby.

'Mister Action' Odessa with Mustache Flip Action!
'The' Freeman, comes with crowbar and other cool accesories!
Sargent Shepard with interchangable outfits!

All figures come with dozens of points of articulation, and are GUARANTEED to never break time-space!
Moustache flip action?

I read some where on the forums about someones ideas about the g-man. He had an excellent theory about the g-man bringing you back because he knew that something need to happen or would happen. He also said that you see him talking to this guy because what the g-man does is brings you back to put you to the test, so he can "sell" you on and he makes sure by making deals with these people or agents that you can get through to the other side of the game

Additionally, if you look inside the Colonel's house, you'll see family photos that look like they were taken in the 1800's or something.

I have a theory on this.

*It could be that Odessa used to be in Freeman's position but got too old for the job (or tired of it), (hence the old photos and the military battles he's too young for)

*The G-Man, after replacing him with Freeman, made him a more behind-the-scenes type of guy working with the resistance.

*Odessa's job right now (teaching and leading parts of the resistance) could be Freeman's fate later on

*Shepard would be his replacement (explaining why the G-Man put him in stasis).

I knew something was fishy about that guy...

I missed seeing the binocs on my first run through the game, but something about Odessa gave me the willies. "A guy with those mannerisms in this day and age has to be hiding something," I thought. A British blowhard like that belongs behind the stick of WWI or WWII fighter, not in an aliens-taking-over-the-world sci fi scenario. Something just seems out of place with Odessa.

Do you see the G-man talking to anyone else in the game? I don't know of any points, but maybe someone else does.

So the only people who know about the G-man, as far we know, are at least a few Vortigaunts, Colonel Odessa, and, it seems, Dr. Breen.

LoneDeranger said:
Additionally, if you look inside the Colonel's house, you'll see family photos that look like they were taken in the 1800's or something.
It's worth noting (to what end I don't know) that those same pictures (from memory at least) are also in the "museum bank building thing" in that room where you have to avoid all the lasers. Probably just the artists saving on work? But which are the originals - the ones in the house or the ones in the museum? :imu:

HadouKen24 said:
So the only people who know about the G-man, as far we know, are at least a few Vortigaunts, Colonel Odessa, and, it seems, Dr. Breen.

actually i think ALL the vortigaunts know about G-Man. They share knowledge, so the moment the G-Man introduced himself to one Vortigaunt all the others get to know him too.

[QOUTE]
Besides, he was a wuss. Any potential material for the GMan to use has to at least have some gumption. He practically volunteers Gordon for the job of eliminating the gunship.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the G-man specifically requested that Gordon take out the Gunship, as a way of testing him further?

Pegcrab said:
[QOUTE]
Besides, he was a wuss. Any potential material for the GMan to use has to at least have some gumption. He practically volunteers Gordon for the job of eliminating the gunship.

Maybe the G-man specifically requested that Gordon take out the Gunship, as a way of testing him further?[/QUOTE]
well its not like Gordon could volunteer himself, seeing as he DOESNT TALK. i thought this was kind of a *wink wink nudge nudge* at the player, just like when Alyx said "Don't worry, I'll do all the talking." and "You don't talk much, do you?"

i wasnt even paying attention to him the first time. I was watching all the other soldiers

Isn't it freaky how that Vortigaunt (in the railroad outpost) was using his powers on that tv, somehow making the Gman pop up
on it? And when you get close he quickly kills the connection, i think that's fishy. Plus, other characters allways refer to the
Vortigaunts whenever they've learned of some new info (for example: where Eli was being held captive). Could it be that they
got that info from the Gman through those tv-communications?

could be. or they could be talking to the G-Man in person

Back