The Princess and the Frog

Darkside55

The Freeman
Reaction score
This movie was wonderful. I must be honest, I wholly expected to go into the theater and enjoy only Dr. Facilier's song--as I'd seen the scene before--and expected everything else to be mediocre. I honestly expected the only thing was going to keep me in my seat after that scene was going to be my goddaughter sitting next to me. "Otherwise," I thought, "I could pretty much just get up and leave."

Not that I haven't been ecstatic that Disney has finally done a hand-drawn picture in so many years; I've even been championing this movie. But it was more for technical reasons and a return to roots rather than the story, or the characters (aside from Dr. Facilier); indeed the tiny snippets I'd seen in trailers led me to believe I wouldn't actually enjoy the entire movie. So I sat and smiled at my goddaughter once the Disney logo appeared, and awaited the "Friends on the Other Side" scene.

By the time that scene rolled around there were absolutely no thoughts of me leaving that theater. This movie is...from an art standpoint it's gorgeous. During the second musical number there's an artstyle switch that's done so well I was floored. Simply gorgeous.

The pacing in the beginning is fairly quick; you get a good idea of the main characters' personalities and their goals in a short amount of time, but it doesn't feel rushed. Rather, it's engaging. And I have to say, I thought that the sidekicks in this movie were going to be dumb; sidekicks in general usually are, talking animal sidekicks almost always are. And when you hear "redneck cajun firefly" and "fat jazz alligator" you're like, "Ugh." But man...they're wonderful. Just wonderful. Ray in particular is one of the best sidekicks--nay, one of the best character's Disney's ever created, and that isn't hyperbole. Jim Cummings shines (if you'll forgive the pun) in the role.

AND THE MUSICAL NUMBERS! I know some people were a bit weary when it was announced that Randy Newman was going to be in charge of the music; I wasn't one of those people since I have generally enjoyed his scores, but I think even naysayers will be pleased. The music pops; from "Down in New Orleans" painting the setting; the character songs; it's all really jazzy and had my foot tapping. I've also heard some people who didn't really like "Friends on the Other Side," saying that the song is kind of flat and has abrupt shifts, but...I can't speak for people's opinions but I don't know what they're talking about. When you hear that voodoo chorus going "Boom-boom-boom-boom/boom-boom-boom-boom," it's catchy. You'll find yourself doing it.

If I had any nitpicks about the movie I would say that Prince Naveen falls for Tiana a little suddenly. He's a playboy, a carefree charmer, and though it isn't instantaneous you can pinpoint where the shift in him starts to happen. It's a little rushed.

It's a really good movie though. I don't know where I'd rank it among Disney's classics, but I quite enjoyed it--might even go see it again--and I hope this 'experiment' does well enough that Disney will consider doing more 2D films in the future.

It was pretty ****ing stupid of Disney to claim all their movies would be CGI from then on.

Disney made itself from its hand drawn movies, even today it is still a hallmark and quintessentially Disney.

So while I haven't seen this movie and have no plans to see it (I am a heterosexual adult male after all) kudos to Disney for realising where their strength lies and returning to it.

Well, they're still doing CG movies. The upcoming Rapunzel is CG. But hopefully we'll see more traditional works from them.

Yeah my sister has seen it a few times now and really enjoyed it. I'll still probably wait for the DVD or whatever rather than see it in the cinema.

Well damn Darkside you just convinced me to go see this. I wasn't even remotely considering it before.

It was pretty ****ing stupid of Disney to claim all their movies would be CGI from then on.

Disney made itself from its hand drawn movies, even today it is still a hallmark and quintessentially Disney.

So while I haven't seen this movie and have no plans to see it (I am a heterosexual adult male after all) kudos to Disney for realising where their strength lies and returning to it.

Technically this is still CGI. I would go see this, but frankly the subject matter is meh for me.

Affirmative Action, Political Correctness, Reparations!

Anyway... I haven't seen a Disney cartoon in forever. I don't particularly enjoy them that much.

I did love the Aladdin ones though.

Think old-school style should still be alive with 2D films - Darkside has won me over to actually go see it at the cinema, might see if its on at one of the summer outdoor cinemas.

shitcock this movie was awesome. I want to be facilier.

Back