The reason the "door" may or may not be scripted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think TheWart raises a very good point.. if he acquired the source, and the resources.. he must have compiled it because there was that "patch" crap that came out.. problems couldnt be fixed in mere config files more than likely.. so I bet he compiled the source into a half-assed "working" build of HL 2 with a few resources as quickly as he could figure out how to make it compile without errors to make a name for himself. Also, I believe the code itself is newer than the maps.. from what I've seen of the maps, there are text descriptions in place of actual events in many places.. like "X will be here to do X to the player".. but enough talk about that stuff.. whether it has scripts or not the game is going to have better AI, better graphics and potentially better gameplay than the original.. what more could you ask for? :)

I pushed the washing machine out of the way and the bottles on top stayed where they were and just floated in mid air :(
awesome physics system.

Originally posted by Dsty2001
Oakey, obviously you are VERY FREAKING STUPID, have you ever took any programming classes? Do you know any programmers? Heck, have you even made a program? If not then STFU

This beta is OLDER than the E3 Demo, and if it is not, then the Hacker obviously lied when he said he had ALL of the data. If he HAD all the Data he needed, then there wouldn't be missing sequences, missing animations, missing textures, compression code, missing sound, ETC. ETC. IN THE LEAK. Get that into your TINY brain, and realise this LEAKED "BETA" does NOT reflect what Valve had at E3. Do you realise, this little "scripted" sequence everybody is crying over, can be fixed with 3 lines of code? It's a simple If & Then statement with a Loop inbetween. I SERIOUSLY doubt Valve is stupid enough to let a little issue like this last very long. My guess, is that this build is at least 5 months old, with missing files and code. If it is not 5 months old, then there is obviously alot of missing files that the Hacker did NOT get.

You have absolutely no evidence that this is an old beta. That's just YOUR speculation, something I already mentioned previously, it could be a year old, 6 months, 1 month, it could have been all Valve had to date. YOU or I have no idea, what is true is that the E3 demo IS scripted, when Valve said it wasn't.

make it compile without errors to make a name for himself

A name for himself huh? Really? When he's been acting ANONYMOUSLY? Yeah, what a 1337 h4x0r that Anon guy is :dozey:

Originally posted by Oakey
Why do you come out with speculation? This beta could be 2 years old, it could be a month old. It's like this though, Valve announced they'd been hacked sometime in September, the game was supposedly 'finished'. Why would they have a really old build still on their network?
Consider this: It may be possible that this leaked beta was a build of the version of HL2 that Valve have been using to create their video releases (the e3 movies and steam released updated, direct feed, movies).

You see, if in the development process, Valve changed parts of the game since the E3 demonstration, they would still have to keep an old version around if they wanted to be able to create new versions of the same movies. It is quite possible that the latest build of the main, playable game is very different, vastly improved, with new and improved content. Valve would have had to keep this old build around (and probably continue to incorporate any new graphical improvements\developments) in order to have a build from which they can re-run and re-record the E3 movies.

Also, I think it's reasonable that Valve scripted a sequence for the E3 demos. There could be any number of reasons why they weren't confident leaving it up to the AI at the time. Rest assured, in the final HL2 release, the sequence won't be scripted. Why? Because there's no way the game can control what the player will do.

Now if you're going to play illegal leaked betas, fine, noone can stop you, but at least don't complain about it considering it was never intended for release.

Here's a good post about the beta - after reading it I think it's very likely the beta is just a compile of the source with as much content the hacker could get his hands on.

Originally posted by MaJ-ReD on another forum: I was playing through some of the levels the guy released. And, I've come to the conclusion that this is not a real beta. That is probably why Valve said that no playable build was taken. If you look at the build date in the beta, it says "Source Engine 2 (build -4 days to 9/30/03)" at the top right when you open the console. Now, obviously I don't know how the engine does build dates, but looking at that, wouldn't that mean the source was build on October 4th?? (4 days after 9/30/03, since it says -4 to).

From what I can figure out, he stole a bit of the source, as Valve claimed. From what I heard, the source could be built, and it would include faceposer, hammer, hl2.exe, and tf2.exe. Now, the hacker then claimed that he had a beta. So, my guess is while he was on their computers, he managed to get as much of game content (maps, models, sounds, textures) as he could get his dirty hands on. Then, added all those files to the source he had built. Successfully creating a playable build of the game engine, not the game.

I'm sure the guys at Valve have got a copy of what was leaked, so they can get a good idea of exactly what was taken, so you probably konw that the beta doesn't have any of the single player maps. If you try to start a new game, it fails with a missing map file error. All you can do is type "map *" in console and load specific maps.

The reason that I beleive I have come to a truethful and beleivable conclusion is because of a few key things. First of all, a lot of the features in the game don't work. For example, those spinning blades don't turn on when you try to use them, and a lot of the AI seems to be missing. The gunship gets stuck in the mountain all the time, and the Combine don't seem to be concious of your existance most of the time.

Originally posted by Logic
Consider this: It may be possible that this leaked beta was a build of the version of HL2 that Valve have been using to create their video releases (the e3 movies and steam released updated, direct feed, movies).

You see, if in the development process, Valve changed parts of the game since the E3 demonstration, they would still have to keep an old version around if they wanted to be able to create new versions of the same movies. It is quite possible that the latest build of the main, playable game is very different, vastly improved, with new and improved content. Valve would have had to keep this old build around (and probably continue to incorporate any new graphical improvements\developments) in order to have a build from which they can re-run and re-record the E3 movies.

Also, I think it's reasonable that Valve scripted a sequence for the E3 demos. There could be any number of reasons why they weren't confident leaving it up to the AI at the time. Rest assured, in the final HL2 release, the sequence won't be scripted. Why? Because there's no way the game can control what the player will do.

Now if you're going to play illegal leaked betas, fine, noone can stop you, but at least don't complain about it considering it was never intended for release.

Again, that's all speculation, you don't know what Valve do or don't have. Also, the hacker has taken about 5Gb of data, possibly more. If he'd been in there long enough to grab so much data, don't you think he'd make sure he'd get the latest build? Assuming it was there at all. Like I said, we have no idea how old this is or how the final game will play out.

As for the computer not knowing, someone already mentioned that there's only one route in traptown, if this was a map in the game then every time you replayed the game you would have to take that route and every time those same scripted sequences would play out.

Here's a good post about the beta - after reading it I think it's very likely the beta is just a compile of the source with as much content the hacker could get his hands on.

Again, speculation. You don't know, it could be read as "Build - 4" then "days to 30/09/03" or that could be the name of the build, ie, Build - '4 days to 30/09/03". I don't see why the build would start counting back tbh.

Again, speculation. You don't know, it could be read as "Build - 4" then "days to 30/09/03" or that could be the name of the build, ie, Build - '4 days to 30/09/03". I don't see why the build would start counting back tbh.
You don't have to keep pointing that out. Of course it's all speculation. Nobody has the facts. This entire thread (and the vast majority of stuff on the forum, considering HL2 isn't out yet) is speculation. Nothing wrong with that. Speculating is all a part of the process of trying to figure stuff out.

You don't have to keep pointing that out. Of course it's all speculation. Nobody has the facts. This entire thread (and the vast majority of stuff on the forum, considering HL2 isn't out yet) is speculation. Nothing wrong with that. Speculating is all a part of the process of trying to figure stuff out.

Stop specualting please, it hurts my little brain :cheese:

Speculation is all the hl2 community has right now, so learn to deal with it Oakey.

Originally posted by Mcn@sty
Stop specualting please, it hurts my little brain :cheese:

Speculation is all the hl2 community has right now, so learn to deal with it Oakey.

Wtf, do people read further above the post they're replying to or not?

When have I ever said I don't accept it as speculation, in fact, I'm the one saying it's speculation and we don't know what the final will be like:

we have no idea how old this is or how the final game will play out.

So please, STFU. This thread is about the e3 demo being scripted when we were told it wasn't.

Wtf, do people read further above the post they're replying to or not?
When have I ever said I don't accept it as speculation, in fact, I'm the one saying it's speculation and we don't know what the final will be like:
So please, STFU. This thread is about the e3 demo being scripted when we were told it wasn't.
All I was pointing out was that you seemed to be arguing against posts with "That's just speculation"
You have absolutely no evidence that this is an old beta. That's just YOUR speculation
Again, that's all speculation,
Again, speculation.
I'm sure we're all aware that we're speculating.

All I was pointing out was that you seemed to be arguing against posts with "That's just speculation"
I'm sure we're all aware that we're speculating.

My reply was to the other guy, the one that says to 'stop speculating' and then goes on to say all we have is speculation (wtf??)

My reply was to the other guy, the one that says to 'stop speculating' and then goes on to say all we have is speculation (wtf??)
Oh, ok :) . I think he was being sarcastic when he said "stop speculating"... sarcasm doesn't always translate in text.

This thread is about the e3 demo being scripted when we were told it wasn't

And there lays the problem, this isn't the build the E3 was using. I've said this 5billion freaking times, but your small brain doesn't seem able to compute it. IF THIS WAS THE BUILD THEY USED AT E3, WE WOULDN'T HAVE SEEN ALL THE ERRORS EVERYWHERE THAT WE DIDN'T SEE IN E3. IN THE KLEINERSLAB MAP IN THE LEAKED BETA, THERE IS ERROR BLOCKS LAYING EVERYWHERE. THEY WASN'T IN THE E3 ONE, THIS BETA IS OBVIOUSLY OLDER THAN E3, OR IT IS MISSING TONS OF KEY COMPONETS. sheesh

And there lays the problem, this isn't the build the E3 was using. I've said this 5billion freaking times, but your small brain doesn't seem able to compute it. IF THIS WAS THE BUILD THEY USED AT E3, WE WOULDN'T HAVE SEEN ALL THE ERRORS EVERYWHERE THAT WE DIDN'T SEE IN E3. IN THE KLEINERSLAB MAP IN THE LEAKED BETA, THERE IS ERROR BLOCKS LAYING EVERYWHERE. THEY WASN'T IN THE E3 ONE, THIS BETA IS OBVIOUSLY OLDER THAN E3, OR IT IS MISSING TONS OF KEY COMPONETS. sheesh
Indeed. I think it's at least possible that it's missing stuff for the reasons stated in that speculative post of MaJ-ReD's I quoted. BUT it still does seem that the sequence seen in traptown was scripted, contrary to Valve's comments, because the same sequence is apparently scripted in the leaked version.

And you know what? I've explained this 5 billion times but it doesn't seem to sink in to YOUR tiny little brain. I'll explain again, maybe this time you can understand.

If you turn on notarget and make your character invisible to enemies you see exactly how scripted the map is. There is no other route to the map, you HAVE to go the way they went on the video. From the moment you start the level when you walk forward and reach the first barrel the first trigger is activated. This causes the grunt to run to the top of the stairs. He can't see you so just stands around. If you go in the building and close the door and push the table across, this triggers the next event. More grunts are spawned and begin shooting through the window whilst another kicks the door open and starts firing towards the stairs (even though they have no idea where your character is). When you go up the stairs and reach the top, the next trigger is activated, a grunt will begin firing through the window.

When you go out in to the alley and towards the fan, when you drop off the ledge this triggers a zombie to be spawned next to you. If you go further forward more zombies will spawn in the alley to the right. If you get the zombies to come in your direction and past the barrel, then turn off notarget, one of the zombies will go back JUST so he can kick the barrel at you (which he would have done if you'd been visible in the first place).

Do you understand all of this? Regardless of what errors there are these are all scripted sequences. If this was a map on the Final game then EVERY time you replayed the game and EVERY time you took that route (which you're forced to take) these sequence of events would ALWAYS happen.

Does YOUR tiny brain comprehend this?

What would you know Dsty2001? You see errors because possibly the executable isn't compiled correctly, or because not all the models were stolen. It has all the e3 maps BTW. It also has all the e3 exec commands for each map. This is a build after E3 happened, thank you.

While showing it at E3, they said nothing you saw was scripted. Obviously it was.

While showing it at E3, they said nothing you saw was scripted.
The only section they said wasn't scripted was the team movement in barricade. That section isn't scripted.

Oh please, dont tell me your judging the game on this build which isnt even an alpha. It just stolen shit put together and compiled. You also have to realise that the E3 stuff wasnt meant to be played by the public.
Thats like saying a car is crap because you took it apart, threw half the parts away, put it back together, and was suprised it didnt work properly.
And please dont tell me that you actaully think thats all Valve has after 5 years of work. Hasnt anyone noticed the E3 movies have things the 'beta' build is missing? If this build is all valve has, why is there stuff weve seen before not in this build?:rolleyes:
The hacker is full of shit. I bet that annoymous message bullshit isnt even from the hacker.

oakey your silleh.

all ai is scripted. It's just adaptive script. Multi-faceted etc etc. You my friend are a silleh man. All ai is, is hardcoded multifacted scripted sequences lol

inevident, btw its a previous to e3 build thanks. Try running those demos. You guys are genius.

Do you understand all of this? Regardless of what errors there are these are all scripted sequences. If this was a map on the Final game then EVERY time you replayed the game and EVERY time you took that route (which you're forced to take) these sequence of events would ALWAYS happen.

And the real question Oakey is 'So what?' Well DUH the sequences were scripted, well DUH the levels are linear. That's because they are, as the names suggest, levels intended to be part of a non interactive, controlled demonstration of the game. Just like making assumptions about D3 from the alpha is ridiculous when it was designed as a snapshot, a route for someone to walk through to showcase the games look.

If you have things at random you face the risk of things biting you in the ass, you could even die embarrasingly and not everyone at the show would get the same experience.

These things are done for a reason, making any conclusions apart from 'this is how it will look' is dumb.

What would be really interesting would be seeing how the AI changes when people play the barricade level. Except no one is are they? Because this botch job 'beta' is ****ed up..

Alot of the games scripted.

One example on the templake map - I noclipped around the map and found a room with the combine standing around, and one hanging on a pipe, I clipped back in the room and killed the guy on the pipe (fell and landed harshly on a barrel) from there no1 attacked me, so I went to the bottom of the room, and entered through the main door (like your supposed to) then they started shooting down at me! Its scripted and triggered to hell.

rofl.. thats funny azz0r :)

would u people stop saying "Oh of course its scripted, it was for a demonstration!" YOu need to realize that DURING that demonstration they stated that NONE of it was scripted.

Originally posted by inevident
rofl.. thats funny azz0r :)

would u people stop saying "Oh of course its scripted, it was for a demonstration!" YOu need to realize that DURING that demonstration they stated that NONE of it was scripted.

Thank you. This has been repeated over and over yet they keep coming back with this "all games are scripted" or "they only said barricade wasn't scripted" argument.

oakey

all ai is is just friggen scripts. Get it? what is hard for you to understand?

Ignorance is bliss isnt it?

your dealign with a pre e3 build and trying to say its so and so, try running the *.dem e3 files genius. They dont work.

get it?

Oakey, obviously you are VERY FREAKING STUPID, have you ever took any programming classes? Do you know any programmers? Heck, have you even made a program? If not then STFU

This beta is OLDER than the E3 Demo, and if it is not, then the Hacker obviously lied when he said he had ALL of the data. If he HAD all the Data he needed, then there wouldn't be missing sequences, missing animations, missing textures, compression code, missing sound, ETC. ETC. IN THE LEAK. Get that into your TINY brain, and realise this LEAKED "BETA" does NOT reflect what Valve had at E3. Do you realise, this little "scripted" sequence everybody is crying over, can be fixed with 3 lines of code? It's a simple If & Then statement with a Loop inbetween. I SERIOUSLY doubt Valve is stupid enough to let a little issue like this last very long. My guess, is that this build is at least 5 months old, with missing files and code. If it is not 5 months old, then there is obviously alot of missing files that the Hacker did NOT get.

wtf! sounds like someone talking sense, damn i shudda taken my pills this morning :dork:

Originally posted by killahsin-[CE]
oakey

all ai is is just friggen scripts. Get it? what is hard for you to understand?

Ignorance is bliss isnt it?

your dealign with a pre e3 build and trying to say its so and so, try running the *.dem e3 files genius. They dont work.

get it?

We're talking about scripted ai and events, scripted events... Am i, am I getting through to you at all?

*does hand movements - imagine Ben Affleck explaning 'fictional characters' to Jay in J & SB Strike Back*

These events are scripted. It isn't some Super AI that tells the grunt he should fire through a window, it's a trigger that happens when you reach the top of the stairs, it's not the grunt's AI that allows him to see you through the blinds, it's a trigger, a T R I G G E R. The AI isn't using logic to decide whether to chase you through the door or to fire through the window, it's t.r.i.g.g.e.r.e.d when you reach a certain location.

Whether or not the final game is exactly like this we don't know but if this is a sign of what to expect then people will be very disappointed.

I believe this does reflect what valve had at E3... but even it it wasn't, we see the same exact things in phystown, the enemy pops up once u hit one area, and the door kicks open.. its all scripted :\

killahsin - Any game out has better AI that can actually tell if ure an enemy and shoot at you, regardless of which direction or what area you're coming from. From what I've read this is horribly scripted :\ It seems E3 was entirely a scripted demonstration. They should have mentioned that during E3, instead of lying.

It seems a little unfair to judge Valve's work based on an obviously incomplete and buggy build stolen from their computers and never intended for public consumption.

This is what all you assclowns fail to understand.

I cant judge about the door since tat part is buggy for me.

But just an other example for some stuff that really is NOT scripted.
The scene in traptown ehere the zombie comes towards you and kicks that barrel in your direction to harm you... It's not scripted. I used the physgun to put the barrel somewhere else, and let the zombie persuit me. When they came to the newly placed barrel they kicked towards me, so that scene wasn't scripted. They really reacted on the environment, noticed that there was a barrel actually standing there... And it also worked with boxes.

inevident, ill say it one last time, this is pre e3. It is missing content seen at e3, the hacker supposedly got it all. Yet its missing numerous models and textures seen at e3.

As for the door getting kicked out automatically this is a bug, it doesnt happen to everyone.

You really believe this is some post e3 release than your silly. its missing numerous textures and sequences that were shown at e3. Certain machines dont work in areas demonstrated at e3. Certain combustable things that were shown at e3, arent there. Theres ALOT missing that was shown at e3. For instance the friggen piece of wood holding up the beam is missing. Or at least it is on my friends version, heh.

Oh and a fyi while playing at my friends house, i killed the outside guard searched for other guards. Went inside the building, closed the door than i opened the oor went outside and looked, than closed the door again ran upstairs killed the guy upstairs, went back down and the door was still closed.

Erm, care to explain how that was scripted, and why the door wasnt kicked out automatically? One time we put the washer machine inf ront of the door so the friggen guard blew to the door up because he couldnt kick it open lol.

Care to explain?

Of course your resposne will be im lying, =-p

Its scripted and trigger based, really heavily.

I just started on a city 17 map, and turned on visible trippers (cl_triggers 1) I believe...I followed the map around setting off the right triggers. Whereas before the enemies would just stand around, and there was no blood or proper particles, when I followed the correct triggers the ai kicked in as did the particles and set sequences (teaming with scientists).

After going all the way through the city 17 section I can confirm the ai virtually does nothing for itself. For example there was a combine on a sniper tower, for some reason he was staring at the sky walking around on his pad, so I stepped through the right trigger and suddenly it starts raining flare bomb things (that evidently got 3 scientists :rolleyes:) The funny thing was; he wasnt even looking at me, he wasnt even near where the flare bombs where being set off - the game triggered a script at shooting at us - the ai does nothing for itself.

The only real ai, and non-trigger actions Ive seen are the bad ass guys in blue and yellow leather jackets, quite impressivly they used team skills on me and used theres surrounding without me setting off a trigger. There was a lower garden with 6 or so walls, I shot one and they all fled, splitting up across the garden, then at the same time and in diffrent orders sometimes, they would creep out abit and shoot, and when someone died they'd hang back for abit longer and wait to see what happens then creep out abit slower.

People saying 'its an e3 buid;11' need to shut up, because I was playing a part of the game that wasnt show at e3 and seemed pretty final to me (bar a few textures and sound files for the combine), the whole game is going to be trigger and script based - its not what Gabe promised, but hell its ****ing enjoyable I can tell you that. So please end this discussion.

I know I shouldnt post this, but this is the garden area I was on about, there is 2 guys right at the back that keeps sneaking out and shooting me two.

Please remove if in-appropriate mod. Anyone who posts 'BANz0r him111' please just look at it first, Im just backing my points up, even though I know its against the rules, please allow it.

@azzor... whats the map name?

I dont wanna go through all maps, dont want to spoil me the game...

Originally posted by freddythefrog
I cant judge about the door since tat part is buggy for me.

But just an other example for some stuff that really is NOT scripted.
The scene in traptown ehere the zombie comes towards you and kicks that barrel in your direction to harm you... It's not scripted. I used the physgun to put the barrel somewhere else, and let the zombie persuit me. When they came to the newly placed barrel they kicked towards me, so that scene wasn't scripted. They really reacted on the environment, noticed that there was a barrel actually standing there... And it also worked with boxes.

Well done, thanks for repeating shit we've discussed repeatedly. Yes, you can move the barrel and if you go near it one of the zombie will always kick it, it's just that barrel though, no others. That barrel is the trigger *sigh*

Oh and a fyi while playing at my friends house, i killed the outside guard searched for other guards. Went inside the building, closed the door than i opened the oor went outside and looked, than closed the door again ran upstairs killed the guy upstairs, went back down and the door was still closed

You also get a reward for repeating shit we've discussed repeatedly. When you kill the guard, and close the door, and push the table across, that triggers the "Freeman!!" sound file and the kick at the door. The door ISN'T, I repeat, ISN'T kicked open but it IS kicked EVEN THOUGH there is NO ONE outside.

Thing is, Valve never said the game would have no scripting. They only said that the line between scripted and non-scripted AI would be blurred, and that all of the scripted sequences were interruptable or alterable in some way. In fact, their primary boast was that the average gamer would be unable to discern a scripted sequence from the game's adaptive AI.

Another clue that this build is probably pre-E3 is the crosshair. Where's the fancy crosshair seen in the E3 videos? It's not there, leading me to believe that this stolen "beta" is probably a mix of old and new code. No wonder it's buggy as hell.

I find it funny people call it buggy...apart from unfinished maps theres no 'bugs'.

Considering its 'bug filled' Ive never had it crash on like, say the Doom leak or jk:ja leak.

Its uncomplete, but definetly not buggy.

Originally posted by azz0r
Its scripted and trigger based, really heavily.

I just started on a city 17 map, and turned on visible trippers (cl_triggers 1) I believe...I followed the map around setting off the right triggers. Whereas before the enemies would just stand around, and there was no blood or proper particles, when I followed the correct triggers the ai kicked in as did the particles and set sequences (teaming with scientists).

After going all the way through the city 17 section I can confirm the ai virtually does nothing for itself. For example there was a combine on a sniper tower, for some reason he was staring at the sky walking around on his pad, so I stepped through the right trigger and suddenly it starts raining flare bomb things (that evidently got 3 scientists :rolleyes:) The funny thing was; he wasnt even looking at me, he wasnt even near where the flare bombs where being set off - the game triggered a script at shooting at us - the ai does nothing for itself.

The only real ai, and non-trigger actions Ive seen are the bad ass guys in blue and yellow leather jackets, quite impressivly they used team skills on me and used theres surrounding without me setting off a trigger. There was a lower garden with 6 or so walls, I shot one and they all fled, splitting up across the garden, then at the same time and in diffrent orders sometimes, they would creep out abit and shoot, and when someone died they'd hang back for abit longer and wait to see what happens then creep out abit slower.

People saying 'its an e3 buid;11' need to shut up, because I was playing a part of the game that wasnt show at e3 and seemed pretty final to me (bar a few textures and sound files for the combine), the whole game is going to be trigger and script based - its not what Gabe promised, but hell its ****ing enjoyable I can tell you that. So please end this discussion.

Obviously there's triggers. You don't want the AI using up CPU cycles on the other side of the map when you're not going to come across them for another 10 minutes. You also don't want the AI-controlled soldiers coming all the way across the map to get you the moment you spawn, do you?

Using triggers to activate AI events is not "scripting"- it's common sense, and used in practically every game of this type for the reasons I stated.

But surely the ai should have some kind of sight, I can stand in front of the ai, or even hit it, and it doesnt fight back - it just stands around or runs off.

The thing that confused me, the leather jacketed combine were very self aware and acted very human, I cant understand why the normal combine havent got a slight awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back