The Simpsons has "no plans to end anytime soon"

Futurama really does grow on you. A lot of the humor is driven by getting to know the characters, and since so much of the show focuses on character development (as much as an animated comedy can), it has emotional punch that The Simpsons and Family Guy can't touch.

The last episode, "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings" illustrates what Futurama is about brilliantly. We have jokes like Bender selling his ass to the devil, and the ensuing horror when he screams, "Bite my shiny metal... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" which wouldn't be funny at all if you didn't know Bender. Then there are the ongoing jokes about the definition of irony - not gut bustingly funny, a la Family Guy, but a subtle type of humor that keeps you smiling. And amongst all the hilarity, there's the closing scene in which Fry, deprived of his prodigy hands but not his heart, plays a final heartfelt tune depicting him and Leela walking off into the sunset. I still get a lump in my throat whenever I hear that music.

I almost wish they weren't bringing Futurama back... that was such a perfect last episode.
I am a big Futurama fan and I HATED the last episode.

:O

That's... I... how? Why didn't you like it?
Seconded. - Ok it wasn't the best episode but it was still up there somewhere.
Futurama season 4 wasn't as good as the rest, some of it was just crap. IMO we've got the best possible outcome - Futurama was given a rest and now its coming back, hopefully the writters will now have some more killer ideas.
The biggest question now is "are fry and leela together now?", IMO yes they should be, we've had four seasons of yes/no/yes/no/sorta/no/maybe/no/etc and otherwise it cheapens the ending of S4.

Seconded. - Ok it wasn't the best episode but it was still up there somewhere.
Futurama season 4 wasn't as good as the rest, some of it was just crap. IMO we've got the best possible outcome - Futurama was given a rest and now its coming back, hopefully the writters will now have some more killer ideas.
The biggest question now is "are fry and leela together now?", IMO yes they should be, we've had four seasons of yes/no/yes/no/sorta/no/maybe/no/etc and otherwise it cheapens the ending of S4.
See, that's the thing though, the whole point of their relationship was that it... wasn't. It's no fun if they actually do acknowledge that they like each other. Then they would both be really happy, and good stories aren't about happiness, they're about conflict.

Couples can have conflict :p
I see little reason why the show couldn't continue in a simular fashion to the last four seasons.
In many ways it could increase the number of stories they could tell.

Couples can have conflict :p
I see little reason why the show couldn't continue in a simular fashion to the last four seasons.
In many ways it could increase the number of stories they could tell.
Just... please... no relationship drama.

Seasons 3-6 were pure brilliance. I honestly loved every episode. After that..eh...hit and miss.

I have to take Stern's position too, I never really got into Futurama. I only watched a few episodes though, to be fair.

You sir, have your head screwed on properly. Congratulations.

Edit: Just noticed your avatar. Even more proof.

Back