the source engine.

i would say Cry Engine (Far Cry) got it all. It handles in door and out door levels with good quality

It's also got crappy multiplayer support, and a godawful SDK.

Source and Unreal Tech are both fully modular - any major part can be replaced without a total rewrite. Any significant module can't really be changed "live", though. It would usually be changed between engine generations, because it's hard to retroactively apply changes to content (i.e. Valve could go back and implement full HDR in HL2, but it would require a lot more art, and a recompile of each map. The return isn't worth the investment)

farcry looks like crap if you go into details. By Now its outdated, but the nextgen engine is on its way (theres somewhere a video of the next engine from crytec at the internet)

Did you see the quality of indoor environments in BF2? They look absolutely horrid.

like what for example? they dont look horrid and there modeled i pressume. the middle eastern settings look fantastic.

GTA engine for the win!

Or indeed something similar could be made and based upon it. Everything is modelled and has many different LODs. A good way would be to allow world brushes to have a similar effect when they are further away from the player.

Rockstar North managed a constant 30 fps on the PS2 and it is 6 years old.

Have any of you tried making a large map in the HL1 engine?

Gabe has actually mentioned in previous interviews that the next update to the Source engine will be a new rendering technique, like terrain LOD.

PsychoFreak said:
GTA engine for the win!

Or indeed something similar could be made and based upon it. Everything is modelled and has many different LODs. A good way would be to allow world brushes to have a similar effect when they are further away from the player.

Rockstar North managed a constant 30 fps on the PS2 and it is 6 years old.

Good old Renderware. Now owned by EA. Yay!

We would need to sell the world to buy the engine out. Hmmmm...who's coming with me?

WaterMelon34 said:
Did you see the quality of indoor environments in BF2? They look absolutely horrid.

The BF2 engine, even outdoors, is an unoptomized beast. I can run Hl2 just fine on my 2-year old computer with al of the details turned on and all kinds of bells and whistles- but bf2, even on moderate detail setting, brings my computer to its knees. One thing that the Source engine has on nearly every other engine on the market is that its extremely scalable.

And that image based rendering thing is extremely interesting- not sure if it'll allow large outdoor environments, though, since the compile time and the memory are the real problems with large levels, not nessecarily the rendering (even though that is an issue). The underlying problem (as I said in the 64 bit thread... heh) is the bsp structure, which requires lengthy compiling and lots of memory to render incredibly detailed indoor environments. Heightmaps or meshes, or even a system like Halo's- modeling the entire level in 3ds max- would be a better solution for a game like Farcry or bf2.

PsychoFreak said:

I love how years of working with bsp-based engines has made everybody think that large areas are somehow more intensive than small ones.

Make a large open desert.

Back