Thief: DS...for Xbox or PC?

joule

Tank
Reaction score
I want to buy Thief: DS, but I can't decide on which to get it for. PC or Xbox? I only buy FPS on PC (exluding The Chronicles of Riddick). I know that you can play in both third and first-person view, but which is the best and most used in the game? Answering my "view" question will almost definitely help me decide on which to get it for, and considering Thief: DS is $39.99 on the PC and is $49.99 on the Xbox, that will also factor in on my final decision. Thanx in advance.

Thief: Deadly Shadows (Xbox, PC)

Eidos' much-anticipated sequel to the franchise that was one of the first to define the stealth genre has finally hit store shelves. It boasts a drastically improved graphics engine, which uses light and shadow to bring the series to new heights. As the master thief, you will have to lurk in the shadows, extinguish light sources, and hide all the bodies that may start to stack up.

If you enjoy the stealth genre, Thief: Deadly Shadows is still one of the top performers. It's available on the Xbox and PC. If you have only have one or the other, the choice as to which version to purchase is simple. However, if you have a high-end PC and an Xbox, there's a few things to consider. The two versions control quite differently, and of course there are technical aspects like sound and visuals that affect the experience.

Features

Developer Ion Storm designed Thief: Deadly Shadows as just that. It didn't make "Thief: Deadly Shadows (Xbox)" and "Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)." They are both the same game from top to bottom in terms of the experience available to the gamer. Players will traverse the same worlds in the same manner, using all the same weaponry and tactics, no matter if they boot up the PC version or the Xbox build.

There is no online or multiplayer functionality in either version. Deadly Shadows has no gameplay tricks up its sleeve, making it a safe buy in the sense that you won't be missing out on any features.

Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox/PC (tie)

Control

In the same way that a stealth game like Splinter Cell feels quite different as you move between the PC and home consoles, Deadly Shadows behaves similarly. You will find that everything from moving around, to aiming, to setting your pace differs. Here's some of the facts:
Control Options: The PC version requires allows you to use either a mouse-keyboard setup or a force feedback controller.

Rumble: On the Xbox, picking locks is tied to controller rumble. On the PC, this feature is gone if you use mouse-keyboard; you, instead, just listen for the louder sound. Unlike Splinter Cell, however, PC lock-picking is more advanced in that you use the mouse to search through 360-degrees of chambers. NOTE: PC is compatible with some force feedback controllers.

Digital Movement: On the Xbox, moving is completely analog -- so you can set your pace quite accurately and mess up if you have an unsteady thumb on the left analog stick. If you go mouse-keyboard, you can only walk (quick), creep (slow), and crouch-sneak (very slow).
So, the biggest difference is, of course, the core control scheme. If you use the mouse and keyboard on the PC everything is very smooth. It has easy item switching with the mouse wheel, simple camera sweeping with the mouse, and aiming is completely effortless. However, without a true analog thumbstick, this setup causes you to lose the breadth of sensitivity between tip-toeing to walking quickly.

Because Deadly Shadows is obviously a very PC-oriented title, using the mouse and keyboard is really all you need. You could use a controller, but by using the SHIFT key, you can lock Thief in a "slow" walk, ensuring he will go unnoticed. No problems.

Rumble is also something to think about. On the Xbox, the motor in the controller shakes as you rotate the analog stick towards the correct tumbler. It's a much more visceral experience than if you were to use the mouse and keyboard, where you just listen for the louder sounds and then tap the keyboard to jiggle it.

Despite these differences, however, we would still recommend the PC's mouse-keyboard controls. The smoother, more fluid camera, the ability to aim more quickly, and the other benefits of the mouse and keyboard add up. In the end, they carry more weight than the benefits of a lock rumble or analog creeping.

And since you have a choice, the PC is unquestionably the best route. Of course, Xbox is without any major problems and using the gamepad works well enough.

Winner Ranking:
1. PC (choice of control setup, fluid aiming, camera control; minor advantage)
2. Xbox (harder to adjust aiming, all the benefits of rumble)

Sound

The aural experience for Thief: Deadly Shadows is pretty important. As the player, your sense of what's happening in the world around you has to be heightened -- and sound is a great way to do that. You're going to want to dim the lights and kick up your surround sound system if you've got one.

Xbox: Supports in-game Dolby Digital. However, the execution of it is only average. The sound widely separates over the front and rear speakers. So, when a guy is technically whistling behind you (in the game) you actually still hear him pretty well up front.

PC: Essentially the same performance in sound. If you've got the latest Soundblaster 24-bit Advanced HD setup, then you couldn't tell the difference. There are no improvements in separation over Xbox.

Overall, it's an even tie. Both versions sound pretty good, but since they are the same you should really think about your setup. Whichever room you can blast the sound louder in is the best choice.

Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox/PC (both feature in-game surround effects; tie)

Graphics

Thief began as a PC franchise and it's easy to see that development is still well-geared towards that platform. It performs well on the platform, especially when you have a setup that can run the latest releases well. Here's what we used:
2.6GHz Pentium 4

1GB RAM

GeForce FX 5200 w/128MB RAM
On the PC, we locked the resolution to 1024x768 and had no problems. Not only did it look sharp, but the framerate kept up just fine.

As you can see in this first shot, the two titles look very similar. But, clearly, the PC version benefits from cleaner textures throughout. Whether up close or in the background, the textures are nice and sharp on PC.

The Xbox version does look really good. Light and shadow play exactly as they would in the PC version. So, you really just get the same experience on Xbox as you would on PC; you'll still be steeped in the same shadows and have to avoid every ray of light.

However, the framerate tends to jump when you're playing Deadly Shadows on Xbox. This kind of gives a whole meaning to the game's name really -- it seems like all the lighting tricks have cost them a perfect framerate. Thankfully, since Deadly Shadows isn't exactly a non-stop action romp, it's not much of an issue.

There's a gamma control setting on the Xbox if you're interested in bumping up or turning down the brightness. This is important to know, as sometimes Xbox titles can be overly brightened.

Neither version supports widescreen, and Xbox only supports 480p, nothing above that.

The award for visuals obviously goes to the PC version in this case, for the sharper textures and the fluid framerate. It may seem like a rather pointless effort to even compare a 2001-built piece of hardware -- the Xbox -- with a totally expensive PC rig, but we've seen our share of quirks when games are ported across platforms. In this case, the unexpected didn't happen -- but trust us, you never really know until you look.

Winner Ranking:
1. PC (better textures, better framerate, sharper display; medium advantage)
2. Xbox (Blurrier textures, runs at 640x480, 30 fps, but still visually impressive)

Presentation

We rarely pull out the sarcastic bad grammar, but here goes: ain't nothing that really separates one from the other. Since there's no multiplayer, no bonus features to track, and so on, it flatly boils down to load times.

[Insert Table I can't be arsed to reproduce]

This is what you get with a full install -- about half the time in loads, and it really comes as no surprise. If you're a really impatient thief -- and most are -- go for the PC version. They don't have a major affect on gameplay, however.

Winner Ranking:
1. PC (full install, faster loads; minor advantage )
2. Xbox (longer load times, but an unaffected gameplay experience)

Final Verdict

If you have both platforms, you should see there's obvious reason to just go and pick up the PC version. It has the most advantages, save for a few control quirks if you're using the mouse and keyboard. But since you have a choice anyhow, it doesn't matter -- and it's $10 less by MSRP to boot. So, you really can't argue with it.

However, there is something to be said about playing a stealth game on your comfy couch, with the lights totally dimmed, and your 5.1 setup blaring. Outside of the technical benefits of PC, there's really no really not to get the Xbox version of Thief: Deadly Shadows. If you have the right setup, it looks great and plays great. Although, if you're really touchy about first-person controls, a purist of sorts, stick with the standard PC setup for this reason.

And there you have it. Thief: Deadly Shadows offers up a hearty experience when it comes to the stealth genre. So make your choice and get playing.

Overall Winner: PC

Winner Ranking:
1. PC(fluid mouse-keyboard controls, sharper visuals, great sound, faster loads; medium advantage)
2. Xbox (visually inferior to PC, but still pretty, great sound, and decent controls)

--From my IGN Insider.

I would suggest getting it on PC. I bought it the other day and really enjoyed it. It plays much better in first person view I think, which a mouse is really better for.

Err...lotta readin'...but thanx a bunch, Abom. :)

A PC game can be patched, but an X-box game cannot. think about that ;)

I would say go with the PC version. You may find things in the game which you don't like such as the "view bobbing" in first person and there are already tweaks, patches that can change things like this. Personally I haven't got a problem with the movement(I was a little worried myself after reading reviews, but most reviews now seem to me to be overly negative), I haven't encountered any problems and the whole thing feels quite smooth to me. With the Xbox version, you're stuck with what you have.

I think both views are brilliant in this game. They both work really well, though I do spend most of my time in First person. I might try playing through the game using just third person or just first person(I can definitely see myself replaying the game, I might play through again to see if I can ghost through the entire game). At the moment I'm going through the game without killing anyone. I'm a few missions into the game and everything's going well. I'm loving it.

Suicide42 said:
A PC game can be patched, but an X-box game cannot. think about that ;)

Not true. XBox Live allows for games to be patched :)

After getting it for the pc I wish i'd waited for the XBox version.

Keyboards are just crappy for movement in stealth games, analogue really adds to the immersion immeasurably (which is why I prefer Splinter Cell on the Xbox to the pc)

Plus, slowly squeezing the analogue triggers to notch an arrow would be so much cooler than just pushing a mouse button.

Graphically I doubt there's much between them - and it would look great on a big tv.

So if you have an Xbox, I reckon that's the better choice.

Thanx Warbie...you just added the touch it needed to make my final decision. I will be buying Thief: DS for the Xbox. Keyboards do suck for stealth movement, and that is why I own both Splinter Cell and SP: Pandora Tomorrow on the Xbox. I hope that I will be pleased with Thief: DS for the Xbox.

Let me know what it's like - as i'm tempted to sell my copy and do the same.

Okey-dokey...I'll do just that. :)
I'll probably be getting the game sometime early next week (Monday, Tuesday, or possibly Wednesday).

User Name said:
Thanx Warbie...you just added the touch it needed to make my final decision. I will be buying Thief: DS for the Xbox. Keyboards do suck for stealth movement, and that is why I own both Splinter Cell and SP: Pandora Tomorrow on the Xbox. I hope that I will be pleased with Thief: DS for the Xbox.

Yes, but the Splinter cell games are 3rd person, where thief is really a first person game so it's very different. Your choice of course, but I think a keyboard/mouse set up is sooo much nicer for first person.

I disagree ....... I found the movement in Halo superior on the Xbox for the same reasons. Whether the view is 3rd or first person - the effect is still the same (Golden Eye and Metroid Prime are other model examples of games that, while viewed from a first person perspective, benefit greatly from analogue movement. Imagine playing either with a m&k :/ *shudders at the thought*)

Digital movement can feel more fragmented and clumsy (something immediately apparent in Thief 3). While this isn't so bad in certain games, it does detract from the immersion in others. I havn't experienced the Xbox verison of Thief yet, but i'm pretty sure Garrett will feel more cat-like and agile when using a thumb stick, regardless of the view (which, if true, will add greatly to the experience).

(an analogue device that could be used in conjuntion with a mouse would be great - the best of both worlds imo. Using a keyboard to move about has been fine for years, but as games advance its limitations and drawbacks are becoming more obvious. Prince Of Persia being another good example of a game that suffers from digital control, yet flourishes with analogue)

//edit - HL2 would be better with analogue movement *puts on flame suit*

In my opinion, if you have a good PC, go with the PC version. It will look better, run faster, cost you 10$ less, offer you much more in the way of control (there are hundreds of tweaks already if you don't like something) and most importantly, there is a chance that Eidos will release the editing tools, and even an SDK, which would allow you so, so much in terms of new missions, new abilities, mods, and totally new Thief campaigns. The Thief community is one of the most devoted communities I have ever come across. They will put out stellar work if the tools are released, and I promise you, the X-Box will not have this feature. Even if new content was released for the box, it would be no more than a drop in the ocean of new content the PC would receive.

As far as control goes, that is a personal preference. I have always enjoyed playing first person games on the PC more than any console (and no matter what anyone says about 3rd person, Thief IS a first person game). One other thing, I find myself able to really get into PC games. While most console game only keep me immersed in a game to a certain level, PC games can drag me right into the action. Thief is one of those games you just won't appreciate as much unless you are totally immersed, and in my opinion, there is no better place for immersion than a PC in a dark room.

if you have the hardware, get it for PC
its a nice looking game
and sounds great

Something that has only just come out today should really push you towards the PC version. It seems that IS left a huge bug in the shipping version of the game for both the X-Box and the PC version of TDS. It has to do with the difficulty settings not being properly applied to saved games. For example, say I started a mission in Thief on the expert difficulty setting. I play for a while, save, and quit to do something else. Later on I come back to the game and reload from where I had saved. Everything looks the same on the outside. My objectives are still the expert objectives, however, upon loading a saved game file in TDS, the game "forgets" to reinstate the expert AI multipliers, and resets the AI to the base difficulty level (which is normal). So basically, unless you never save and reload during a mission, you cannot play on the expert level. It's been tested by many people now (myself included) and it is true that upon reloading a saved game the AI goes from a deadly challenge, to below-average. For example, on true expert, the AI will inflict serious harm on you; reload, and an attack hardly leaves a scratch On true expert the AI can hear you from a good distance away on a hard surface and will come to check it out on a high alert; reload, and the same AI in the exact same place didn't notice my footsteps until I ran into him. It's a very serious bug, and I honestly don't know if it will be fixed for the X-Box (it has been confirmed to exist on both versions, so there is no running from it). The PC version however will hopefully receive a patch. It may not however, so many community members are working very hard to get the problem sorted on the PC (it can be made a bit better on the PC, but it hasn't been fully corrected yet). Unfortunately, no one outside of IS or MS can fix the problem on the X-Box (and even they may have trouble). There is a thread on it all here

Yeah I was about to post about that myself. Trouble is we may not get an official patch so really it's down to members of the community to try and sort out problems like this.

As far as control goes I think the controls are fine in either view. I have spent most of my time in first person and it controls well(I don't like the dual analogue setup used on consoles for FPS control, IMO it's not as good as a keyboard/mouse). I've messed about with third person abit more and I don't really see a problem with it.

Back