Thief really does have some deadly shadows...

Suicide42 said:
and more about the city, you cant get onto many rooftops or anything. it would be better if the floor was only one way to travel... and the roofs were a safe and quiet haven for a theif like garet. but alas, the only roofs you can get to are slightly "too sloped" to get up... :/

Actually there are quite a few rooftop paths and shortcuts. Some are a bit hard to find tho. You just have to start climbing everywhere. The only bad thing is it's really easy to fall out of the map if you climb in some areas.

The only thing wrong with the game is that it was X-Box'ized with relation to map sizes and textures. The bigger maps are split into 2 sections where you have to walk into a blue "mist" which loads the next section.

The loading times are less than 15 seconds but it can get annoying when you have to get to one end of the city to the other.

The engine's good, with the dynamic shadows and all that, and the architecture is spot on. Runs well on a Mobility Radeon 9600 (laptop graphics card). Make sure you put "MousLagThreshhold" to "0" in the DEFAULT.ini file.

Then sign the petition for a level editor/SDK - http://www.petitiononline.com/t3editor/petition.html
Thief 3 - 8/10
Deus Ex 2 - 6/10

ok holy shit

those puppet things in shalebridge are f.ucking scary motherf.uckers. f.uckin shit my pants..i think i'm too scared to play on :/

i think shalebridge alone takes thief from a 5 to a 6, maybe 7 if i survive without having a heart attack.

i need soft fluffy things now to make me feel better.

Dedalus said:
anyway, i'm partway through shalebridge right now. scary? haha, not a chance. a little creepy but i wouldn't say it's scary. although it is well pulled off, the odd 'thing' flicking past a doorway out of the corner of your eye and stuff.

Dedalus said:
ok holy shit

those puppet things in shalebridge are f.ucking scary motherf.uckers. f.uckin shit my pants..i think i'm too scared to play on :/

i think shalebridge alone takes thief from a 5 to a 6, maybe 7 if i survive without having a heart attack.

i need soft fluffy things now to make me feel better.

:LOL:

Heh, I didn't think those guys were all that scary until I happen to walk across one that I thought was dead. Holy hell, I almost fell out of my chair.

yeah thanks for pointing that out neurtrino :borg: :eek:

it only started getting scary once i got into the inner cradle. after the first couple of puppet things it wasn't that scary anymore, just drop em with some holy water or flash bombs.

was really well done though. quite impressed actually.

Heh, my pleasure. But ya, I thought that level was exceptionally well done. If they had just managed to achieve the same level of detail and atmosphere through the rest of the game it would have been a masterpiece.

@ Dedalus:
I actually found the outer cradle much scary. Once I got to the inner cradle and I saw my enemies it wasn't really as scary for me. I played a no-kill game so I just sneaked around those guys. You should check out the thread at ttlg, that goes into some of the story behind the cradle. It was mainly the creepy noises and stuff from the outer cradle and the fact that I didn't know what I was going to come across something and when I was going to come across it. Especially the part when you're going up to the attic, *that* sound gave me a heart attack(well almost).

I laughed my ass off when I saw your second post, after having read your first one :E

Ah, Theif 3. I love it. Quite apart fromt he fact that I experience no (well, very few) problems using the 4.5 drivers...strange, that. The occasional flickering shadow but I convince myself it's due to unreliable steam-punk electric lighting. Atmosphere, story, graphics, stealign every damn thing I can find...it's all brilliant. At least three times this game has made me think "holy crap". I'm just about to go into Shalebridge. I'm scared.
As for the city...well, at first I was less than impressed. Once I got the climbing gloves though...well, it opened up a whole new world of rooftops and secret alleyways (especially in Old Quarter and Auldale...gotta love those enormous stone walls and expansive roofways...).

Also: zombies are scary.

Back