Thing that Breen was talking to *Possible HL3 Spoiler*

WhiteZero

Tank
Reaction score
Pics of that Thing Breen was talking to *Possible HL3 Spoiler*

If you beat the game, then you remember that right after Breen stole the grav gun and went up the elevator, then you saw him talking to some weird looking alien on a screen.

Well, I threw on noclip and found the room where the Alien's model was. Because any character on-screen is actually being "filmed" on camera somewhere on the map.

Heres the pics:

Front (face)
front.jpg

Back (butt, lol)
back.jpg

Left Side
left.jpg

Right Side
right.jpg

top.jpg

Bottom
bottom.jpg

Could this be the boss of Half-Life 3? Or is it the mysterious "benefactor"? Or maybe both?!

I guess we'll see in another 5 - 6 years. :D

Dosn't look like a boss to me... I think it could be another slave to something bigger. A gimp mask, a lot of (leather?) straps, and it looks like its in some kind of body suit or its skin has been cut open and later stiched up.

Now that you said it, yeah, I see the "stitching" on it.

However, VALVe bothered to fully model this thing, even though only it's face was on camera. And I know VALVe dosent usualy model unnessisary things (really shows if you noclip to stuff. Like when Breen is talking on-screen, if you goto the room he's in, it's only his upper half that actually is there).

So I'm sure that thing has some future meaning.

I think its some kind of communication device

And check out the collar it's wearing with all the runic stuff enscribed on it.

o_O
Weird stuff...

btw whats noclip command, cuz i know 'noclip' doesnt work

JrdnGrn said:
btw whats noclip command, cuz i know 'noclip' doesnt work

Yes, it is "noclip"

You have to type "sv_cheats 1" first though to enable cheats like god, noclip, and impulse 101

..CHEATERS! ...so ill use god to go search ocean more thourougly for the ichty..thing

Those glowing blue things on its back are just like the ones on the backs of some aliens that you would see if you looked down while on the second 'coffin' trip.

could be the benifactors.. Cant wait to see how HL3 will turn out.

The raising the bar book refers to it as the "combine liason" or something. It also mentions that their thoughts behind the combine aliens is that they started out organic but became very very dependant on technology - becoming slug-like with small arms which required technological legs/extensions to move around, and getting such feeble eyesight that they couldn't see without ocular implants.

Based on that description, I believe this is indeed an actual 'combine' alien. But the raising the bar book also seems to imply that there are many many races in the alien combine. So perhaps this is just one of them, and not neccesarily the 'main' combine race that is in charge of everything.

Man it sucks that they put a lot of the backstory into raising the bar - it should be in the damn game.

WhiteZero said:
If you beat the game, then you remember that right after Breen stole the grav gun and went up the elevator, then you saw him talking to some weird looking alien on a screen.

Well, I threw on noclip and found the room where the Alien's model was. Because any character on-screen is actually being "filmed" on camera somewhere on the map.

Could this be the boss of Half-Life 3? Or is it the mysterious "benefactor"? Or maybe both?!

I guess we'll see in another 5 - 6 years. :D

How can you post a spoiler about HL3 when HL3 doesn't exist? Laidlaw probably hasn't even begun to write it yet...

Lanthanide said:
The raising the bar book refers to it as the "combine liason" or something. It also mentions that their thoughts behind the combine aliens is that they started out organic but became very very dependant on technology - becoming slug-like with small arms which required technological legs/extensions to move around, and getting such feeble eyesight that they couldn't see without ocular implants.

Based on that description, I believe this is indeed an actual 'combine' alien. But the raising the bar book also seems to imply that there are many many races in the alien combine. So perhaps this is just one of them, and not neccesarily the 'main' combine race that is in charge of everything.

Man it sucks that they put a lot of the backstory into raising the bar - it should be in the damn game.

How'd you get your copy? Gameplay says its released tomorrow :(

Combine Advisor

According to the strategy guide (at this point I’d like to make clear that I never buy or use strategy guides, it just came with my package and I wanted something to read after beating the game) the thing is question is in fact a “Combine Advisor.” The descriptive text is as follows (my own comment in brackets):

“Behold the real face of the Combine. A giant, green, sluglike entity [sounds like a Vogon to me] with the gift of telekinesis appears for the briefest of moments on Breen’s computer monitors within the Citadel.”

I tried to get Gabe to explain Gman :*(

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 930
If you look closely you'll see that the stitching is actually from its 'clothing'.

YOu also see this fat bug when you teleport from klainers lab, and when its brokes, about 3 sec you will be in Dr. Breen office, and you will see him tolking to this alien... :O

listen to what he says to it, you can have full control of City 17 if you just get me out of here, or something liek that... I have a feeling an expansion or something cool is coming
oldfaq

He doesnt say that he says:

"I can still deliver earth but not without your help, cant you set the portal destination elswhere its untenable and theres no way i can survive in that enviroment. A host body i cant possibly...oh alright dammit if thats what it takes!"

while were on the topic of what the combine are, i forget what chapter its in but its around the rebelion, but on the wall there is a drawing that shows a monkey evolving into a human and then a human evolving into a combine and it shows the combine with a massive brain which takes up most of the skull

Conkorg said:
Sorry to be a n00blet but what is a benifactor?

dictionary.com or paste into word, right click and go to synonyms

layman's terms - supporter

cool find!
but it looks like breen has been talking to nihilanths ass..

Lanthanide said:

in the the prima guide it says

Combine Advisor

"Behold the real face of the combine. A giant, green, sluglike entity with the gift of telekinesis appears for the briefest moments on Breen's computer monitors within the Citadel."

other cool things in the guide explain that the stalkers (the things with no hands, bony body in the citadel) are people who went to nova prospekt and were experimented on by combine scientists until all humanity and higher brain function is gone.

it says all combine gunships, dropships, advisors, striders, crab-syths and mortar-synths are all "synth" - half organic and half machine.

the crab-syths and mortar-synths are only seen on the lift to breens office and the guide says they are the backbone of the combines "subsequent" armies - is that going to appear in hl3 then?
http://img58.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img58&image=d3_citadel_050053.jpg

Sorry for the long post.

Spartan said:
How can you post a spoiler about HL3 when HL3 doesn't exist? Laidlaw probably hasn't even begun to write it yet...

I said possible spoiler. And I have a feeling that the entire story for Half-Life was writen out years ago.

Anyway, thanks for all the info people.

I remember that thing from the Alpha, but it was placed in the oddest parts of the maps.

The old stalkers also used to be enemies you could fight. They looked VERY different too.

Benefactor : latin origin, is composed of 2 words, "bene" and "factor".

Bene means "good"
Factor means "someone who does something"

A benefactor is someone who does something good.

thatdudekevin said:
What exactly does a combine look like under the mask?

Someone said you can see them on a TV in Nova Prospekt.

I don't remember seeing that, but last night I was viewing the cutscenes again, and figured it out...

I'm too lazy to post pic, but in Black Mesa East, that green thing in the jar on Dr. Vance's desk is a combine head, and that's what it looks like behind the mask. I didn't realise it when I first played through the game. If you mess with the jar, sometimes Eli will come over and say "Sometimes Alyx brings home the strangest things" -- but that's all he says.

Rhalle said:
Someone said you can see them on a TV in Nova Prospekt.

I don't remember seeing that, but last night I was viewing the cutscenes again, and figured it out...

I'm too lazy to post pic, but in Black Mesa East, that green thing in the jar on Dr. Vance's desk is a combine head, and that's what it looks like behind the mask. I didn't realise it when I first played through the game. If you mess with the jar, sometimes Eli will come over and say "Sometimes Alyx brings home the strangest things" -- but that's all he says.

First of all, the thing in the jar is the head of a cremator, a creepy cloaked midget thing that's job is to go around after a big battle and use it's organic matter-dissolving gun to "clean up". Creepy.

Second, the "brain" that the guy mentioned on the combine head is actually the head inside the mask.

For some reason, I'm starting to get the impression Dr. Breen is actually a human that was took over by a parasite of some sort.

That thing in the pictures -- it's a big ass vacuum cleaner bag with japanese markings on it! What a discovery! No, honestly. Looks like an ALIEN :O

And the combine troops, I believe you can see one half suited (upper body and head are naked) lying on a table through a screen in Nova Prospekt. Looked too much of a human so I didn't know what to think.

There appears to be some alien city or something in these pictures.

Attachments

• d3_breen_010002.jpg
    d3_breen_010002.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 726
  • d3_breen_010003.jpg
    d3_breen_010003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 644
  • d3_breen_010006.jpg
    d3_breen_010006.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 629
Yeah, that looks like Breens destination...hmm he said to the combine advisor that the portal destination was untenable and that could he set the destination elswhere...but the advisor said he needed a host body to survive...

Back