Things I didn't like about HL2.

Cheomesh

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love HL2 and all it's glory. There are, however, a few things I criticize, most of which have to do with weapons...

Things I Did Not Like About Half-Life 2

* Standard pistol was the USP Match. It was carried by the CP's. This is a pistol you see at target shooting competition. It was discontinued in 2001, three years before HL2 came out, and wasn't produced much in numbers, making this an unlikely thing to find in Eastern Europe, in the hands of an alien-produced police force.

* MP-7 SMG was a widespread weapon. I do not understand why the chose this to be the standard assault weapon of the CP's and the Overwatch. The MP-7 is a nice SMG, firing powerful rounds quickly, and is very compact. These qualities do make it a very good PDW (not SMG), though there are hundreds of weapons that are more suited to the roll of law enforcement (CP), and combat arms (Overwatch) that are more common/easy to produce, as well as the fact that the "Combine Standard Issue" pulse rifle is more powerful and seems to be less than "standard issue".

*Grenade has an LED light on it and makes sounds. This makes no sense to me, at all.

*Resistance members using the MP-7 and CSI exclusively. You would think 20 years in Eastern Europe would land them atleast some more common weapons (AK-47 anyone?) or even home made weapons. I understand they steal from the Combine, and it would be great if whatever weapons the Combine are using would show up in their arsenal, but excluseively? I don't think so.

*Cone of Fire -- all the automatic weapons used the cone of fire, and nothing similar to a real balistic model. Made the firefights very "spray and pray".

*MP-7 UGL -- Says it all. Why does it have a grenade launcher, and where is the grenade coming from...

*Laser Guided RPG launcher -- not sure why we have this as it was really only ment to be used against aircraft. An SA-7 Grail would have been a better choice of weaponry, I think. Far more common, too. The Combine don't seem to use these, so I'm not sure where they dug them up.

*Crossbow's ammo -- I thought adding the crossbow back was a really neat idea. It has a scope, and fires fairly easy to make ammo, so would be a great weapon for resistance members to assasinate / ambush guards with, especially as it makes little noise. However, for some reason, it seems to fire a red "irradiated" looking bolt...

*HEV Mk5's auxillary systems -- in HL1, flashlight power was totally isolated from Oxygen and Sprint power systems. In HL2, the all run from the same internal power source. While it's still rechargeable, it does make running in the dark very irritating...

So pretty much that's all I can think of. It's only a few things though as you can see I highly critisized the weapon choices. I have NO idea why Valve chose the ones they did, especially when they had choices like the XM29 OICW and the AK-47 in the early versions of the game.

You want the OICW even though it was discontinued even before the USP? Also, I never heard the USP was discontinued.

nvm, looked it up.

Grenade has an LED light on it and makes sounds. This makes no sense to me, at all.

no, it would suck if the nade did not have a red light..

The only thing I agree with was the Pulse rifle and especially the SMG being pretty inaccurate at even moderate distances, and even while firing in short bursts. Even though this kept the USP Match useful, I found it rather annoying that targets even 50 yards away couldn't be hit consistently even with short bursts.

And choosing the OICW would make absolutely zero sense.

I love the OSIPR, but if I could change one thing about it, I'd give it a versatility bump by adding iron sights and a single fire setting. Switching between weapons on the fly is a pain in the ass in HL2. I'd gladly lose the crossbow and smg for a more versatile rifle.

I agree, the guns are a bit boring and weird in HL2.
The nade thing doesn`t really make sense to me either.

* Standard pistol was the USP Match. It was carried by the CP's. This is a pistol you see at target shooting competition. It was discontinued in 2001, three years before HL2 came out, and wasn't produced much in numbers, making this an unlikely thing to find in Eastern Europe, in the hands of an alien-produced police force.

Maybe the combine came before it was discontinued...?

* MP-7 SMG was a widespread weapon. I do not understand why the chose this to be the standard assault weapon of the CP's and the Overwatch. The MP-7 is a nice SMG, firing powerful rounds quickly, and is very compact. These qualities do make it a very good PDW (not SMG), though there are hundreds of weapons that are more suited to the roll of law enforcement (CP), and combat arms (Overwatch) that are more common/easy to produce, as well as the fact that the "Combine Standard Issue" pulse rifle is more powerful and seems to be less than "standard issue".

*shrug* I geuss they figured using one gun for multitasking was better? They liked the compactness of it for close-quarters work?

Grenade has an LED light on it and makes sounds. This makes no sense to me, at all.

Yeah.

*Resistance members using the MP-7 and CSI exclusively. You would think 20 years in Eastern Europe would land them atleast some more common weapons (AK-47 anyone?) or even home made weapons. I understand they steal from the Combine, and it would be great if whatever weapons the Combine are using would show up in their arsenal, but excluseively? I don't think so.

Yeah. The AK missing seemed off to me. AK's are like, standard rebel fare.

*MP-7 UGL -- Says it all. Why does it have a grenade launcher, and where is the grenade coming from...

Second barrel. Why? Combine modified it.

*Laser Guided RPG launcher -- not sure why we have this as it was really only ment to be used against aircraft. An SA-7 Grail would have been a better choice of weaponry, I think. Far more common, too. The Combine don't seem to use these, so I'm not sure where they dug them up.

Well, you can use it against other targets. I imagine it's the way it is for game balance - you can't fire and forget.

*Crossbow's ammo -- I thought adding the crossbow back was a really neat idea. It has a scope, and fires fairly easy to make ammo, so would be a great weapon for resistance members to assasinate / ambush guards with, especially as it makes little noise. However, for some reason, it seems to fire a red "irradiated" looking bolt...

Superheated rebar. Nothing irradiated.

*HEV Mk5's auxillary systems -- in HL1, flashlight power was totally isolated from Oxygen and Sprint power systems. In HL2, the all run from the same internal power source. While it's still rechargeable, it does make running in the dark very irritating...

That always seemed off to me. "My light's on! Oh noes, my air runs out quicker!"

I think the complaints miss the point, more than anything. I can see where the guy is coming from but really, given HL2 itself, they are pointless because game doesn't set out to nail that stuff.

"*Grenade has an LED light on it and makes sounds. This makes no sense to me, at all."

Its so when an enemy throws a grenade, its easier to see to throw back with the gravity gun. The sound is so you can time it right and not take damage yourself.

I appreciate realism too, but sometimes it's better to trade it off for some fun factor.

I think the complaints miss the point, more than anything. I can see where the guy is coming from but really, given HL2 itself, they are pointless because game doesn't set out to nail that stuff.

Exactly, its a not a realism war simulator, its an fiction/sci-fi FPS, pointless critisisms.

Really, the only one I agree is a semi-big thing is the HEV suit running/air/flashlight thing. Cause that shit is just weird.

Eh well I stand by my opinions. Still love the weapons though.

I brought this up to see what this communities reaction to more realistic weapons would be? My future mod will have mostly American weapons, because it takes place in the USA.

The important thing to remember is Half-life 2 isn't supposed to be realistic in the weapons area. Sure, not outlandish, but not exactly realistic. There are key reasons for the things you pinned as not making sense; gameplay reasons and fun reasons.

Really, the only one I agree is a semi-big thing is the HEV suit running/air/flashlight thing. Cause that shit is just weird.

I think that was a valid complaint. It was annoying and didn't make much sense.

Yup. I've also heard it's updating stuff in the engine as well? Something about being able to support larger maps.

Yeah Episode 2 will have a new Render so it can render more stuff and bigger maps with the same performance. Plus Flashlights and and I also heard that certain map lights (Up to the mapper I think) will cast dynamic shadows.

Hm. Well I'm witholding major work on my mod until then mostly because I'd like those larger forrest maps and stuff.

Funny, I was just looking through the sound file for the MP7 (SMG1) and it seems like it was at one time going to have a 3 round burst mode.

Hm. Well I'm witholding major work on my mod until then mostly because I'd like those larger forrest maps and stuff.

Funny, I was just looking through the sound file for the MP7 (SMG1) and it seems like it was at one time going to have a 3 round burst mode.

Yeah, I believe it was, or that could be left over sound for when they were going to have a MP5. Heck if you look at the script file for the MP7 it has Burst mode sound line in there.

The Combine do use the rocket launcher, in the APCs and Hunter-Chopper, and apparently soldier use them in Episode Two. The missing AKs are the only other thing that really bothered me. No good explanation for their absence either.

The reason that the grenades beep and have an LED is because if they didn't you would might never realise that they were thrown and it would utterly suck to be playing and be killed by a grenade you didn't see.

The reason that the grenades beep and have an LED is because if they didn't you would might never realise that they were thrown and it would utterly suck to be playing and be killed by a grenade you didn't see.

Yeah true.

As for the MP5, you'll be seeing that in my mod hopefully, in the hands of your allies. The Combine will be using the Overwatch Pulse Rifle.

Not sure, really. I figured that was subject to change at any time.

Yup. I've also heard it's updating stuff in the engine as well? Something about being able to support larger maps.

Yeah Episode 2 will have a new Render so it can render more stuff and bigger maps with the same performance. Plus Flashlights and and I also heard that certain map lights (Up to the mapper I think) will cast dynamic shadows.

Does this mean less loading points/more loading time? D:

Standard pistol was the USP Match. It was carried by the CP's. This is a pistol you see at target shooting competition. It was discontinued in 2001, three years before HL2 came out, and wasn't produced much in numbers, making this an unlikely thing to find in Eastern Europe, in the hands of an alien-produced police force.

Who cares? And no, whoever said the combine became before it was discontinued, they didn't.

MP-7 SMG was a widespread weapon. I do not understand why the chose this to be the standard assault weapon of the CP's and the Overwatch. The MP-7 is a nice SMG, firing powerful rounds quickly, and is very compact. These qualities do make it a very good PDW (not SMG), though there are hundreds of weapons that are more suited to the roll of law enforcement (CP), and combat arms (Overwatch) that are more common/easy to produce, as well as the fact that the "Combine Standard Issue" pulse rifle is more powerful and seems to be less than "standard issue".

They just fit in the game.
And even though it's a PDW it's still an SMG.

Yea, it would make the game boring to get blasted by something you don't even see

Resistance members using the MP-7 and CSI exclusively. You would think 20 years in Eastern Europe would land them atleast some more common weapons (AK-47 anyone?) or even home made weapons. I understand they steal from the Combine, and it would be great if whatever weapons the Combine are using would show up in their arsenal, but excluseively? I don't think so.

Dunno, AKs don't sound like a good adittion. And they would be hard to come by.

Cone of Fire -- all the automatic weapons used the cone of fire, and nothing similar to a real balistic model. Made the firefights very "spray and pray".

Wait...as long as i remember, i turn my attention to the combines's soldiers while shooting, not the muzzle effects.

MP-7 UGL -- Says it all. Why does it have a grenade launcher, and where is the grenade coming from...

It has 2 barrels.

The only 2 I agree with are the HEV using the same power source for everything, and the pistol - not that is was discontinued or whatever (you said it was discontinued in 2001, HL1 was in 1998-1999 (can't remember which), right? I dunno - I'm not a big HL1 story person, I'm more HL2), but that it seems too "weak" it doesn't make a really menacing sound, and doesn't "feel" strong when it fires.. But the .357 on the other hand - Strong kick-back (feeling of a powerful gun) and loud-ass sound - it's a beast.

And if you want AK-47's and other real guns - download SMOD, it adds AK's, M1 Garand's (I think that's what they are), and I think MP7 or MP5 or one of those kind of things.. (It sounds like it's silenced when you shoot it), and all that kind of stuff. Plus it's a damn fun mod.

Doesn't bug me too much, HL1 took place in 1998-1999 anyhow.

Yeah, doesn't make much sense why the primary weapon used by a grand part of overwatch is a dinky little PDW when a more substantial weapon would be in order.

*Grenade has an LED light on it and makes sounds. This makes no sense to me, at all.

Gameplay. It lets you know roughly how much time you have before it blows. In smod RR there was an option for these alternate napalm nades with no beep or light. It was infuriating because suddenly without warning you'd have this nade exploding on you that you never saw land.

most likely to save on having redundant weapons. Game companies hate putting superflous weapons that barely get used, it costs time and money to art them out, code them up, and make sure they fit within the context of the rest of the game.

*Cone of Fire -- all the automatic weapons used the cone of fire, and nothing similar to a real balistic model. Made the firefights very "spray and pray".

agreed.

yeah, i hate it too. They didn't even give the nade a proper barrel. 25mm looking round flying out of a 4.7mm hole. Trailing smoke, and flipping sideways in flight. Dumb.

SA-7 missles are also 3 feet long. I prefered the old HL1 style missle anyway. The laser guidance helped, but it wasen't like a remote control airplane like it is now. The RC plane rockets seem way too cartoony for me.

Its heated up like a stove element by a battery located on the underside of the xbow. I find the xbow kind of silly, personally. The second most accurate weapon in the game and its firing heavy rods of rebar with no stabilization from a weapon that should not be able to send it farther than 15 feet. I would have liked a proper crossbow with actual arrows.

agreed

Add to the above that a 357 magnum is treated like a goddamn railgun and spas-12s "double blasting"

I like how people are just responding without realizing we already discussed tis. :p

Really? Had no idea.

@Flying: Yeah the magnum was one hell of a weapon. I never actually used it much -- like most shooters I found two or three weapons that fit my style and the rest just sat there. Magnum was only used if I wanted to insult someone.

the grenades noises/flashing light let you know when it's about to explode...

and the HEV suit powers your flashlight (flashlight is attatched), your adrenaline burst (givin by the suit) and powers an oxygen tank/system to allow you to breath underwater, all these things are attatched to the suit so they all use the same power source. It was probably a change made by Kliener or something.

Or you could just play the game as a game, and not worry about all those things.

Oh, man, no offense, but that is SO petty. Frankly, they are minor niggles with facts. It's a brilliant game, and I'm sure we'd all agree, and just some issues with the weaponry shouldn't realistically mean anything to you.

Does this mean less loading points/more loading time? D:

Anyone gonna reply to this post from page 2? ...

Half-Life does not take place in 1998-1999, it takes place in 200-.

This is the kind of guy that will bash Bioshock: "I SAID THAT THERE IS NO CITY UNDER THE WATER AND THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD IT OMG"

:|

Back