This Isn't Racist

Okay, lemme clear up some misconceptions.

1. Merle Dandridge who is the voice of Alyx comes from a multi-ethnic background. Her father is African American and her mother was both Korean and Japanese in heritage. She was born in an American military base in Okinawa Japan. In the Episode 2 commentary provided by her during the entering Eli's room in the White Forest base she appreciates VALVe for making a mixed race character like herself because there's not a lot of roles for minorities let alone one of multiple ethnicities.
  2. It is common knowledge that Jamil Mullen was the model for Alyx Vance. What a lot of people don't know was she was also the model for Azian Vance. Compare the ingame family picture with her and this of Jamil:

jamil-mullen-large.jpg

3. Alesia Glidewell was the model for Chell and couldn't possibly be Alyx's mother because of the different names and the fact that she looks nothing like her mother. Ms. Glidewell is of Chicano and Japanese origins and was also the original model for Zoey in Left 4 Dead.
  4. There have always been huge debates over racial classifications and the merits of it. Scientists believe we all have a common ancestor and scientifically races denote seperate species not groups of them. Recessive genes also kick in after generations of not appearing in the family frequently. I have a friend who looks white and people think her family may partly be from the Mediterranean, yet both her genetic parents are black who have traced their lineage to west Africa. I have many black friends whose family members are of varying skin tones and pop up with "Asian looking eyes" yet there is no recognition of anyone being Asian in their roots. My ex girlfriend has auburn red hair yet nobody in her family had that except her great grandmother. Two of my white friends were able to apply for ethnic scholarships after DNA tests traced them back to Asia and Africa. All of my family comes from China yet I may have an ancestor who comes from somewhere else. Where am I going with this? Nowhere. It just doesn't matter! Truth is, Azian's name is called that because she may have been Asian or her parents just thought it would've a cute name because she has Asian looking features. We may debate this all until we turn blue from breathlessness but only VALVe has the final say.

Alesia Glidewell reminds me Megan Fox.

Very good job. Did it take you all 3 pages to deduce that conclusion, or did you just happen across it?

By the way, your timing could have been better. :D

Sorry, I'm just bitter.

By the way, I always thought Jamil looked like a cupcake in that pic...

Scientists believe we all have a common ancestor and scientifically races denote seperate species not groups of them.
Not really. I think you misunderstand the concepts of Mitochondrial Eve and Y Chromosome Adam.

This thread somehow both wins and fails at once. It's breaking every law of the internet!!!

:bounce:

This thread somehow both wins and fails at once. It's breaking every law of the internet!!!

:bounce:

k.....?

anyway, it's quite simple: Azian+Eli=Alyx, and if Eli and Azian are from different ethnic backgrounds then Alyx will be a combination of the two so none of them will be exactly the same.

in other words:
Azian's ethnicy+Eli's ethnicy=Alyx's ethnicy (a mix of the two)

Back