THREE things that Episode Two needs.

Agreed on that too. That guy shouldn't be writing.

You'd think somebody would have put up the particle benchmark for download by now.

I'm guessing Valve's going to release it with their AI benchmark as well.

No one virtually knows anything about the Magnade, I simply found out the "v_magnade.mdl" script file somewhere. A view model means it's in Gordon's "hands".

That Magnusson guy sure sounds like a smart one who developed a wide variety of weapons.

Well I"m sure that Valve are using Magnusson as a excuse for the new weapons but unlike other games this actually makes sense considering that Magnusson was out in the woods and away from city 17 so I'm sure that Eli and Kleiner had trouble contacting him and especially getting to his lab so that they could acquire these new weapons.
I'm sure that we will be getting more new gravity type ammo then an actual gun or something that actually requires you to think then just shoot anyone that comes in your way.

Well I"m sure that Valve are using Magnusson as a excuse for the new weapons but unlike other games this actually makes sense considering that Magnusson was out in the woods and away from city 17 so I'm sure that Eli and Kleiner had trouble contacting him and especially getting to his lab so that they could acquire these new weapons.
I'm sure that we will be getting more new gravity type ammo then an actual gun or something that actually requires you to think then just shoot anyone that comes in your way.

Gravity gunable dead headcrabs!!! :bounce:

As for new weapons, yeah, just one more in the inventory would be fun. They've already got all the weapon categories covered, but most of the weapons ATM are a bit boring. As long as the new weapon doesn't unbalance everything or make things too easy, it could be fun. Something interesting, hopefully, like the snark or hivehand (hopefully not those, though). Hopefully the return of the pheropod as well, if they're going to have anything like as many antlions as Ep1 had.
Another thing I think Ep2 could use is some new textures and props. Just to make it slightly more interesting. I know that kind of stuff is superficial and doesn't really make for better gameplay or anything, but we are moving away from City 17, so it would make sense at least.

I know this thread's a bit old, but so are most of the threads in this section, so a bit of necromancy shouldn't be that bad... right?

Another thing I think Ep2 could use is some new textures and props. Just to make it slightly more interesting. I know that kind of stuff is superficial and doesn't really make for better gameplay or anything, but we are moving away from City 17, so it would make sense at least.

Take a look at the gameplay videos.

They need to have the AI react to other allied entities. Like throwing a grenade to flush you out into a group of Hunters.

Take a look at the gameplay videos.

I already did. Yeah, I suppose they have got that axe that can be thrown. Should be fun. I suppose I was thinking more like new textures for oil drums, grass, new rock textures etc, but I guess it's not necessary to change good textures that they already have. OK, I've just watched them again and I noticed a fair number of new textures. Valve being Valve, they know what's best for the game, and if it need any more textures they'll add them.

V-Man's opinion on Valve

Whatever Valve does, I will be happy.
The only exception is Popcap games.
That was their shittiest decision ever.

Why would they change those things for the sake of change though?

Because they get a bit boring after a while. Like I said, it's superficial and therefore not a high priority.
I remember someone mentioning that the old oil drums and crates etc were getting boring, and I just though it would be cool to have maybe some new skins or something.

I'd like to see rebel zombies, and blue citizen zombies, simply because it's strange that all normal headcrabs only attack citizens in white.Granted, the other zombie types remove clothing, or at least shirts, so poison and fast zombies could've been anyone.

Those things have never bothered me.

I never really noticed until I read that post, it's just that some new stuff like what Planetary said, would be cool.

Some more brilliant music is another thing Ep2 needs. The gameplay trailers bode well, I hope there is more coming. I also hope that any new sounds (like for the hunters) are good as well, of course.

You can hear some of the Hunter-sounds in that new video from the German site. They sound kind of like dogs... metallic, alien dogs.

you know what i want? i couldn't care less about a new weapon, new ai, a new difficulty. all i want is a proper half life 1 style boss fight. i'm getting sick of these half life 2 style boss fights. every single one just seems a little bit... you know.... boring and straight forward. for once i want a boss who i cant kill on my own. for some reason i'm just getting sick of valve not using these again, when its one of the things half life one had that made it so memorable. you were not the ultimate super soldier who wiped out everything in his path. you had to use the environment to get further in the game.

I'd like to see rebel zombies, and blue citizen zombies, simply because it's strange that all normal headcrabs only attack citizens in white.Granted, the other zombie types remove clothing, or at least shirts, so poison and fast zombies could've been anyone.

Ye gods, UNDERSHIRT! WHITE UNDERSHIRT WHICH IS REVEALED BY THE HEADCRAB REMOVING THE BLUE OVERCOAT DURING TRANSFORMATION!

WE HAD THIS DISCUSSION!

you know what i want? i couldn't care less about a new weapon, new ai, a new difficulty. all i want is a proper half life 1 style boss fight. i'm getting sick of these half life 2 style boss fights. every single one just seems a little bit... you know.... boring and straight forward. for once i want a boss who i cant kill on my own. for some reason i'm just getting sick of valve not using these again, when its one of the things half life one had that made it so memorable. you were not the ultimate super soldier who wiped out everything in his path. you had to use the environment to get further in the game.

Gonarch was a pretty straight forward boss battle. You're talking about Blast Pit and Power Up though, aren't you? Well, it's going to be even harder to implement them now that we're moving the the countryside. The environment affects the type of gameplay a lot; HL1's corridors we good for setting laser mines in, and the fact that the place was a lab meant that they could get away with tentacle-owning rocket test pits, Gargantua-owning generator coils, wall-owning lasers, teleporters, two experimental weapons (Gauss and Gluon guns), and all those switches and valves that let you interact with the environment, which enables the puzzles you are talking about.

Gonarch was a horrible boss fight. So was Nihilanth. They sucked so bad. Something akin to Blast Pit and Power up would be cool. The Core in Episode 1, however, is basically the exact same thing.

Yeah, you can think of the core as a big, glowing, vortex ball of bossiness.

Gonarch was a horrible boss fight. So was Nihilanth. They sucked so bad. Something akin to Blast Pit and Power up would be cool. The Core in Episode 1, however, is basically the exact same thing.

yeah i guess. but it just didn't that same "oh my god, this thing wants to kill me, and then paint the walls with my blood and organs". hmmm, the advisors... that would be interesting. anyway. i want one of those fights again. if i have to shoot another god damn helicopter in a climactic part of the game... ill just break down and cry.

Yeah, Blast Pit and Power Up were both pretty fun. Not just the fact that you couldn't beat them just by shooting them, but also the cool noises they made, and the tension while you creap past the tentacle or sprint down that corridor with the gargantua thundering behind you.

yeah i guess. but it just didn't that same "oh my god, this thing wants to kill me, and then paint the walls with my blood and organs". hmmm, the advisors... that would be interesting. anyway. i want one of those fights again. if i have to shoot another god damn helicopter in a climactic part of the game... ill just break down and cry.

They should have put a time limit in the core... <sigh>. That would have upped the tension and scariness a lot. Especially if you could see the bubble slowly expanding and changing colour, then alarms start sounding and Alyx starts banging on the window. That would be truely awesome.

A puzzle boss like Blast Pit would indeed be nice. I really liked Blast Pit.

Ye gods, UNDERSHIRT! WHITE UNDERSHIRT WHICH IS REVEALED BY THE HEADCRAB REMOVING THE BLUE OVERCOAT DURING TRANSFORMATION!

WE HAD THIS DISCUSSION!
spaceyluthor5sl.jpg

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The citizen clothes udershirt is very different to what the zombies wear. They're wearing the same white shirt as the male refugees (And, strangly, the zombies' shirts are slightly whiter).

if i have to shoot another god damn helicopter in a climactic part of the game... ill just break down and cry.

You only fight the chopper once? You probably mean the Gunship though. I dunno, I absolutely love the gunship, but I'd rather have to fight several at the same time than just one, ala Prospekt.

You only fight the chopper once? You probably mean the Gunship though. I dunno, I absolutely love the gunship, but I'd rather have to fight several at the same time than just one, ala Prospekt.

either or. they just don't have the same feeling of "hell yeah, i just destroyed something that should have annihilated half this city on its own" that the bosses from blast pit and power up had.

I don't think they count as bosses though do they? I'm not saying I don't want to see what you want - because I do, those are what made HL1 stand out for me - but I'm not sure the gunships/Striders are taking their place.

well, i dunno its just that the parts that seemed like areas that could have been really climactic and intense were just replaced with battles with striders and gun ships. its just like instead of getting one thing... we've got something else.

but anyway... moar hl1 bosses!

I really like the gunships, and I loved the helicopter. I hope the one(s) in EP2 will be as fun as fighting it in Water Hazard.

well, i dunno its just that the parts that seemed like areas that could have been really climactic and intense were just replaced with battles with striders and gun ships. its just like instead of getting one thing... we've got something else.

but anyway... moar hl1 bosses!

I'd have though that a straight forward boss fight would be more climactic and intense than a large puzzle enemy like the tentacle that takes ages to beat. In fact, I don't think the tentacle and gargantua were even bosses. I mean, they both took up an entire level, and it wasn't as if the game had been clearly building up to them. But I agree that moar HL1 "bosses" would be nice.
Also nice would be moar with HL1 puzzles. I mean the ones like the tactical map one where you had to bomb the gargantua then blow the hatch open. Or using the large mounted cannons to blow dors open. Puzzles where you have to think how it could work in real life so to speak, as opposed to the Ep1 style ones where you had a known mechanism which remained constant (plasma balls go in sockets), which was repeated under slightly different circumstanses.

The citizen clothes udershirt is very different to what the zombies wear. They're wearing the same white shirt as the male refugees (And, strangly, the zombies' shirts are slightly whiter).

Pics plz.

Mmm, the pics provided are not clear enough. The zombie shirts are just whiter, not enough detail to prove conclusively they're different.

Besides which, I'm fairly sure the Resistance shirts and the normal undershirts are different.

Hmph, the discussion in here has become slightly off-topic :p I'm not exactly bothered or anything... but, you know...

Back