THREE things that Episode Two needs.

Mmm, the pics provided are not clear enough. The zombie shirts are just whiter, not enough detail to prove conclusively they're different.

Besides which, I'm fairly sure the Resistance shirts and the normal undershirts are different.
I'm trying to prove that they're the same. If I actually had HL2 installed ATM I could do it better, but there isn't much space on my PC at the moment.

My apologies for bumping this thread but I had to get this off my chest.

• I would like the Overwatch to use more weapons than just the USP match, Pulse rifle, MP7, and grenade's. I would like them to use the rocket launcher, .357 revolver, and use the more grenade's always before they enter the room.
  • I would like to see the Gunship to use it's belly cannon more.
  • Lot's of Striders.
Also Episode 2 doesn't need a harder difficulty mode, it needs better enemy A.I.

It has excellent AI, it's just we haven't seen its true potential.

• I would like the Overwatch to use more weapons than just the USP match, Pulse rifle, MP7, and grenade's. I would like them to use the rocket launcher, .357 revolver, and use the more grenade's always before they enter the room.

• Shotguns?
    And soldiers don't use pistols, last time I checked. That's Civil Protection.

It has excellent AI, it's just we haven't seen its true potential.

True, and Alyx's A.I behavior in Episode 1 is a good example of how good the enemy A.I can truly be. :)

Shotguns?
And soldiers don't sue pistols, last time I checked. That's Civil Protection.

I think you misunderstood me, when I say overwatch I mean the entire Combine forces, including Metro cops, soldiers, Striders, gunships, manhacks, and scanners. Perhaps I should've used 'Combine.'

How are manhacks and scanners going to use those things you suggested?

A higher difficulty level would be enough imo. The combine already have great AI they're just too weak. And I definitely wouldn't mind a new weapon, but I don't think we need one.

My problem with making the Combine Soldiers 'tougher' in terms of health/armour is that you end up with something as stupid as the HL1 marines. 50 bullets into their hides and they still don't drop.

They just need better firing cones. They spray and pray all over the place.

Valve just need a "Half-Life" difficult setting that gives Overwatch soldiers HECU health.

Valve just need a "Half-Life" difficult setting that gives Overwatch soldiers HECU health.

that would just be frustrating. i think if the levels are better designed for the soldiers to attack gordon it should be more interesting.

i also want to see a scanner outfitted with an mp7. that would be hilarious.

• I would like to see the Gunship to use it's belly cannon more.
  • Lot's of Striders.
Also Episode 2 doesn't need a harder difficulty mode, it needs better enemy A.I.

Belly cannon? You mean the rapid-fire plasma weapon underneath it's "head?"

No, they have a second weapon (But Valve blocked them from using it in-game). It's like the striders giant pulse cannon but it fires directly downwards.

The video you are about to see is painful. Very painful; at least for me. I understand that the creator of the video is a complete sad moron that clearly hates VALVe, but behind all of this, it kind of brings out the flaws of HL2's AI. DO NOT get me wrong, this does nothing to change my mind about HL2's sheer brilliance and AI. I have witnessed so many breathtaking moments in HL2, including the AI, Physics, Characters etc to let this pathetic video to deter me from loving HL2. However, I still feel that the flaws in HL2's AI need to be presented to the community. And this hater video seems the only way of showing it:-

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/19399.html

I hope that VALVe will fix these minor issues sometime in the future. Note, I just randomly found this video; I wasn't searching for anything like this. I was just searching for some new EP2 footage on gametrailers :D

How are manhacks and scanners going to use those things you suggested?

*head explodes*

Wwhat?! No! D:

The reason why I said metro cops, soldiers, striders, gunships, manhacks, and scanners, was because I wanted to make it clear to Planetary that I don't often call the Combine forces on earth 'Combine' or what ever. I like calling them Overwatch because it's most appropriate. I was mentioning they're entire earth force (which are Metro cops, soldiers, Striders, gunships, manhacks, and scanners).

Now let me say what I wanted so there isn't any confusion anymore:

I would like the Overwatch soldiers to use Rockets more, maybe have them use a .357 occasionally. Also I would like the soldiers to use the grenade's always before entering the room (in close quarters).

Born said:
riomhaire said:
No, they have a second weapon (But Valve blocked them from using it in-game). It's like the striders giant pulse cannon but it fires directly downwards.

Rimfire is correct, there is a cannon like the Striders under their belly.

Here's a picture of that:

Gunship_laser.jpg

riomhaire said:
It wouldn't make much sense to have difficulty setting that dramatically increases their armour and health, then decrease our weapons effectiveness. I would perfer if they would increase soldiers' cunningness.

Seeing how Alyx takes cover behind a table and fires her gun, now that's fabulous A.I, I would like to see if soldiers can be that smart like that and use their surroundings to their advantage.

The video you are about to see is painful. Very painful; at least for me. I understand that the creator of the video is a complete sad moron that clearly hates VALVe, but behind all of this, it kind of brings out the flaws of HL2's AI. DO NOT get me wrong, this does nothing to change my mind about HL2's sheer brilliance and AI. I have witnessed so many breathtaking moments in HL2, including the AI, Physics, Characters etc to let this pathetic video to deter me from loving HL2. However, I still feel that the flaws in HL2's AI need to be presented to the community. And this hater video seems the only way of showing it:-

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/19399.html

I hope that VALVe will fix these minor issues sometime in the future. Note, I just randomly found this video; I wasn't searching for anything like this. I was just searching for some new EP2 footage on gametrailers :D

The AI was trimmed down for performance reasons. Also, simply because something is scripted does not mean it is bad. It's just the difference between something being a cinematic experience and something else being open-ended. To think one is better than the other is just plain ignorance.

Seeing how Alyx takes cover behind a table and fires her gun, now that's fabulous A.I, I would like to see if soldiers can be that smart like that and use their surroundings to their advantage.

I don't think it was that much of a step up from before, I think they just put hint nodes behind the table, telling Alyx that she can blind fire from there. She doesn't actually detect the table and work out that she can blind fire from there. It reminds me of FEAR's AI a bit, where they had lots of actions that the NPCs used, like running away and firing randomly over their shoulders, or jumping through windows.
Not to belittle Alyx's AI of course, it's just that Valve have always used hint nodes to tell NPCs things, such as "here you can jump in through a window". It's clever I suppose, because it saves a hell of a lot of processing power by making sure they don't have to work things out themselves, which would often be imposible anyway.

I don't think it was that much of a step up from before, I think they just put hint nodes behind the table, telling Alyx that she can blind fire from there. She doesn't actually detect the table and work out that she can blind fire from there. It reminds me of FEAR's AI a bit, where they had lots of actions that the NPCs used, like running away and firing randomly over their shoulders, or jumping through windows.

It's a step up from before because they can actually do it. It makes NPC coop much, much more entertaining and valuable. If Alyx is more flexible, what's to stop it being a step up? I'm not trying to be ass, I just don't see what you're saying. It'd be more of a step up if she decided to do it for herself? How is that much different to something telling the AI it can do that? It's the same result and avoids all kinds of problems.

Flexibility is the point, with this method, only at certain points does it happen and under very specific triggers her not hopping a small wall but going over a window ledge occasionally actually doesnt do much for immersion

The AI was trimmed down for performance reasons. Also, simply because something is scripted does not mean it is bad. It's just the difference between something being a cinematic experience and something else being open-ended. To think one is better than the other is just plain ignorance.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean Samon. I kind of prefer scipted AI to open-ended stuff anyway. Like you said, it's far more cinematic and immersive. But you've got to admit, it's pretty dire that you can pick up a can, hold it in front you, and then walk towards an enemy machine-gun position without even being fired at :(

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean Samon. I kind of prefer scipted AI to open-ended stuff anyway. Like you said, it's far more cinematic and immersive. But you've got to admit, it's pretty dire that you can pick up a can, hold it in front you, and then walk towards an enemy machine-gun position without even being fired at :(

They fixed that bug ages ago.

The first soldier in that video was clearly not flagged to have a long visibility/shoot, but he did know the player's presence. Consider it as a free kill like most of the average gamers and get over it.

The bolt's hitbox is slightly oversized, not the soldier's.

Didn't bother seeing the rest.

It's a step up from before because they can actually do it. It makes NPC coop much, much more entertaining and valuable. If Alyx is more flexible, what's to stop it being a step up? I'm not trying to be ass, I just don't see what you're saying. It'd be more of a step up if she decided to do it for herself? How is that much different to something telling the AI it can do that? It's the same result and avoids all kinds of problems.

Damnit, I should have been clearer. I meant technically, not gameplay wise. You're right, having hint nodes to tell NPCs they can do things would have the same effect. In fact, it's better ATM, because making the NPCs do it themselves would probably result in them getting it wrong and acting stupidly anyway, no to mention the processing costs. I only meant it wasn't as spectacular a technical achievement as it looked.

After playing parts of HL2 again recently I would like to see more natural interaction between characters and the player. Maybe it's AI or scripting, but I know when I'm walking with someone and they are talking to me. They usually never backpedal so they face me. Kind of creeps me out the times Alyx does that.

After playing parts of HL2 again recently I would like to see more natural interaction between characters and the player. Maybe it's AI or scripting, but I know when I'm walking with someone and they are talking to me. They usually never backpedal so they face me. Kind of creeps me out the times Alyx does that.

Alyx turns around some times and walks backwards, same with Mossman.

personally, what I always felt was that the combine soldiers seriously need to REACT when they get shot. such as dashing for cover or ducking and strafing faster such as in FEAR.

That would definitely be a challenging addition. Then once they got hit they would be more cautious and harder to get a shot on.

I'll tell you the three things episode 2 needs

1. To release
2. To install on my computer
3. To start up so that I can play it.

personally, what I always felt was that the combine soldiers seriously need to REACT when they get shot. such as dashing for cover or ducking and strafing faster such as in FEAR.

Perhaps, but wasn't FEAR's AI heavily scripted to do so?

Yes, and not even intelligently scripted. They'll often dive out of cover.

Thought so, not saying that F.E.A.R.'s AI was terrible because it was quite convincing in which it proved to be challenging, but I found it overrated. But, judging from I hear from the new F.E.A.R. game, the AI has been completely upgraded with some rather interesting abilities and functions.

I heard it was because players were having a hard time using the gravity gun on enemies that moved quickly behind cover. Hence why they stand still in an exposed area for a few seconds at a time sometimes.

thats not fair, i mean if combine soldiers get shot, they cant just stand there, the reaction time is far too slow. also, at least they should move away faster if they get shot..

I didn't think so. People will do that occasionally.
Occasionally sure. But not everytime you fall behind them. It's not only that, but it seems the other characters have to keep their shoulders square to you.

It's not a big deal, just something I've noticed and think is strange.

I agree. It's not a big problem, but I hope that Valve will fix it. If not, it won't really matter, but it would be a nice change to make.

Back