Time limited post editing stupid.

Originally posted by Hipshot
Why must there be a limit to that?

some people would probably abuse unlimited post editing and change their past posts to make others look silly or to cause arguments. It also helps prevent people posting empty messages to try "get in first"

it would be nice if you could add attachments if you hadn't previously or you need to change something shortly after, will stop people double posting when they forget an attachment. Though 15 minutes should be enough I guess.

I dont think that people would abuse if they know they could edit for unlimited time, also if someone 'bagsie' a space and then later edits that, that could be called spam, and then could lead to warnings and bans.

I know that sometimes I wrote things, that might be totaly wrong in terms of spelling and grammar, later I se the errors and I wanna change, but I cant, cause the time limit, that is stupid.

I won't say its stupid but I don't think that abuse will be that common. Most sites out there, many with a lot more members than this site, have it turned on for unlimited time and problems rarely occur. To make sure no one edits a reply to make you look stupid simply quote them and the problem will be solved. If we can't turn it on for unlimited time can we at least have it for an hour or 2?

...or try to have unlim for like a month and see if there would be any problem?

I think it should be removed, but still say if and when the person last edited it. Then if a mopd sees that the person edited it and now the rest don't make sense, they can change it back :D

Sorry guys, the time limit is there for a specific reasons, and Fenric's explaination is a perfect examle of one.

rec, you say that the limit are there for reasons that Fenric said, but, have this forum ever been target of any such spam or stupid edits long after the post was made? Are you sure that you cant try to have unlim for a month or two, and then see how that turns out?

If we had unlimited edit times I would constantly be changing previous messages to make people look foolish.

So I think its good/

Personally I've always hated ( loathed is prob a better word ) an editing timelimit. The fact you can't make use of a decent feature because it's been disabled on the off chance some immature social reject will abuse it is just plain annoying.

So here's a deal. If you make a post and want to edit it outside of the timeframe ( make sure it's a post that needs to be edited - not for a silly mistake like a lack of fullstop, etc ) then PM me with the url, the post and what you want editing and I'll do it for you.

I just encountered this yesterday... I'd really like to be able to edit an attachment in if I were to forget it...

are we talking about u need to wait 30 seconds to post again or somethin?

Originally posted by Pauly
are we talking about u need to wait 30 seconds to post again or somethin?

Their talking about the 15 minute period before your unable to edit a past post. Which IMO is fine how it is.

Back