To be an HL2 beta tester...

Would you want to be a Half-Life 2 Beta tester?

• Yes, I would like to play the game ASAP!

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • No, I would like to have the experience of the finished game

Votes: 100 64.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MetalliMyers

Reaction score
To be a Half-Life 2 beta tester...

Would you want to be a Half-Life 2 beta tester, or would you rather have the experience of playing the original game?

hmmm ... thats a good question ... DECENT THREAD W000000T! ... Hmmmm ... I think I would rather just wait to play the game, but i would be unbelievably tempted to test the beta! :cheers:

"A" halflife2 beta tester. NOT AN. Take an english course. I don't want to be a grammer nazi but that's something that bugs me.

To be a beta tester, the game would have to be beta.
No one knows what state the game is in.

I meant the letters to be sounded out. So I am right and you are wrong.

I'd want to play the beta. Although i guess it would 'spoil' it for me...in nearly every game i've played i've ran across a bug or texture error of some sort (objects missing them, surfaces over-lapping, etc), I like the idea of helping the company out and squashing bugs..

Algor said:
To be a beta tester, the game would have to be beta.
No one knows what state the game is in.

haha very true

Dead heat...

who cares if it is in BETA, you know what I mean, would you want to play the game to "bug hunt"?

Why ... it's spelt wrong. Unless you want to sound like a Britt. Which I don't see the point. It comes off as simpleton speech.

Why don't people try to sound like a texan? They sound dumb.

(You gone done a good thing there havn'cha.)

See what I mean.

I could not take part in the beta testing of a highly anticipated game such as Half-Life 2. Games like this you must wait until it is fully finished, otherwise the whole experience is ruined.

Like a religious man having sex before getting married; or something else of that nature.

Welcome to Language Arts, Mr. Wonkers will be your teacher for the semester and post replies off the subject of the thread.

I could not take part in the beta testing of a highly anticipated game such as Half-Life 2. Games like this you must wait until it is fully finished, otherwise the whole experience is ruined.

Like a religious man having sex before getting married; or something else of that nature.

I totally agree, I would not want to play the unfinished game. It would just not be as good of an experience.

I am a grammer Nazi...depends on how I feel a certain day. Class is in SESSION so pay attention you F-ing clown shoes.

A True Canadian said:

well i dont know if it's just me but i'd be happy to get laid any day

Well then I guess you would know Grammar is spelled G-R-A-M-M-A-R.

Then you have to pay attention. Stare at this dot or you FAIL. ---->.<-----

Sorry for the off topic post but man Wonkers could you cut MetalliMyers a little slack? I mean he made one spelling mistake. And I believe it may be a bit offensive to Texans saying they sound dumb. That’s just my opinion.

You may now commence bashing my post.

NJD2003 said:
Well then I guess you would know Grammar is spelled G-R-A-M-M-A-R.

grammar isn't spelling. You will have to try harder than that to bother me. Even If I do things wrong.

Thanks John...

...So any other comments on the original idea of the thread???

Blah blah blah. Like texans are anywhere near sympathetic of other people. I don't think they mind. George Bush is from texas. Yikes. I feel like stereotyping people is the only thing that gets peoples attention on the Internet.

I am done with this thread. It was a light-hearted sugestion. Go about your bussiness.

wonkers said:
Blah blah blah. Like texans are anywhere near sympathetic of other people. I don't think they mind. George Bush is from texas. Yikes. I feel like stereotyping people is the only thing that gets peoples attention on the Internet.

I am done with this thread. It was a light-hearted sugestion. Go about your bussiness.

It's funny because there's about 5 grammar mistakes in that post alone and you're critisizing the thread title. :p

Finally a good thread (a tear of happyness is shed):

I myself don't see the purpose of being a beta tester. You'll most likely experience a lof of bugs, which will ruin the overall experience, and once you get the final product, it'll be just like a second playthrough (minus the bugs).

I hope HL2 pulls a doom 3 in the bugs section, meaning that the game should run as smoothly as possible from the get go and we don't have to wait for patches to fix all the bugs that shipped with the game.

lazicsavo said:
Finally a good thread (a tear of happyness is shed):

I myself don't see the purpose of being a beta tester. You'll most likely experience a lof of bugs, which will ruin the overall experience, and once you get the final product, it'll be just like a second playthrough (minus the bugs).

I hope HL2 pulls a doom 3 in the bugs section, meaning that the game should run as smoothly as possible from the get go and we don't have to wait for patches to fix all the bugs that shipped with the game.

and doesnt require mammoth computer specs to look decent

scatr99 said:
and doesnt require mammoth computer specs to look decent

Well that's why I thank the gods Valve passed up on the whole complex lighting systems. If they had incooperated that into the game, it would have made the game as stressing for the comp as D3 or worse.

I said I would wait... but after giving it a couple seconds more thought, I probably would beta test.

not only would I get to play the game as it is being made etc. I would be on the Valve payroll.. to play games... the coolest game... woot.
I wouldnt really care about spoiling the SP, since HL2 (as was HL1) Im sure will be THE engine to mod in.

No, I would like to have the experience of the finished game

I think it would be cool if they gave us a little demo to play with...

...but it would probably take away from the overall dev of the game and delay it even more...

...Scratch that idea...

...but it would probably take away from the overall dev of the game and delay it even more...

rgr that, I think i wouldn't mind waiting a while longer to play the full version.

Hmmm....I'd rather play it, get suprised as a hole in one bit, then play the beta, and the game lose its newness...after a while, you'd be like "woo, a free copy of HL2...I just played most of the damn game!!.../stuff in corner"

I work for a games publisher and many of my friends are games testers. We test the games for years and I tell you, no matter how good a game is, you get really bored of it after 12 months. Your not playing the game, your testing the game.
Only some very few people will play the game after it's released for fun, most are thinking about the quality of the game rather than having fun from playing the game.
So by working in the industry with a game, ruins the experience of the game somewhat, especially with story and plot twists and things, it's like reading chapters of a book in different orders then reading the book in one go. You know exactly what is going to happen and unless it's a very good book, you won't enjoy it.

NO, I don't want beta's......................Full version of the game I want.

come on man lighten up... everyone does it!

i mean WOOT LOL LMAO ROFL wat huh pwned ALL these are bad grammer but we all use them.

Keeping with the topic....

I think i would wait for the game release then Beta test it. Although it would let me play it before the community so i could just make you all jelious...I think it would be better to wait and enjoy it with eveyone else :D

*great thread*

i wouldn't, i'd wait like a good little boy until it was done because there's other stuff to do. I want the game bad but i want a game, not a job.

a lot of people thing beta testing is great cuase they get to play the game first. Its not. You get to play parts of the game over and over and over in as many different ways as possible and then painstakingly document them.

This is why with Id and Valve I feel sorry for Valve. Come the release date, Id get to experience this great game called Half-life2. Valve only get to be surprised by Doom 3.

Good repsonses, seems like most people would not want to play the game before it is finished.

If Gabe offered me the game to download on Steam today, and all I had to do was write the positives and negatives, hell yeah, I 'd do it. Lets face it, the game is done in all but name.

However, if it was only part of the whole game I'd say no way Jose, unless it is the start/trainstation level, then it'd be akin to a demo.

Hey Gabe, release the trainstation level! ;)

Back