To Kill an American (touching, not bad)

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
This is a touching little passage I found on my friends blog...

To Kill an American
You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So an Australian dentist wrote the following to let everyone know what an American is, so they would know when they found one. (Good on ya, mate!!!!)

An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan. An American may also be a Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses. An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God given right of each person the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country.

As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan.

Americans welcome the best, the best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes. But they also welcome the least. The national symbol of America, The Statue of Liberty, welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed. These in fact are the people who built America. Some of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of September 11, 2001 earning a better life for their families. I've been told that the World Trade Center victims were from at least 30 other countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

Author unknown
Pass this around the World.

luckily audiophile remembered his liberal retardant flame suit

well written.

Gets jingositic :)x) near the end. Otherwise, good point.

Varsity said:
Gets jingositic :)x) near the end. Otherwise, good point.
Not nearly jingoistic.

I love it, because it's so true.

Very well written and very true.I'm gonna email this to some euro friends of mine. :D

Yeh, true, even though I'm not American.

/me starts playing "We're all living in America, America, it's wunderbar!"

I kinda get what its talking about...but the whole "everyone is an American" is slightly backwards...

No really, it just doesn't fit chronologically. :p

Just ruined the mood again...gj farrow... :|

sure, its nice and all, but one problem:

Audiophile said:
Pass this around the World.

looks like one of those chain mails that exploits your feelings of patriotism/fear/sadness etc.. you've seen 'em all before... just so that it can spread.

It doesnt change what was said at all, but its kinda dissapointing.

well written and true. bliink has a goot point though, that last part is dumb. I really don't like those chain mail things.

:upstare: *Listens to "White America"*- What you think now Steve? KEEhehEHEHEJEJEJEJJEJEEJ!

ailevation said:
:upstare: *Listens to "White America"*- What you think now Steve? KEEhehEHEHEJEJEJEJJEJEEJ!
oh, ya little bastard...i'll wring the life out of your wee body...

I got the distinct feeling it was jiingoistic. America is a country, and I don't think freedom should be defined as "America" because America isn't the only free country in the world, hell it was European settlers who were ultimately responsible for the freedom America has today.

The way that Article make's it sound is like America in some idealistic place where shit doesn't stink and everyone understands and accepts one another and everyone is compassionate, which obviously isn't the case.

I think you can defend American values without becoming overtly jiingoistic or cheesy about it. It's also rather hypocritical considering it wasn't 50 years ago American's where hanging other American's solely based on their skin colour. True that doesn't happen (that much) anymore, but other countries such as in the middle east haven't developed passed that type of mindset for one reason or another.

mortiz said:
I got the distinct feeling it was jiingoistic. America is a country, and I don't think freedom should be defined as "America" because America isn't the only free country in the world, hell it was European settlers who were ultimately responsible for the freedom America has today.

The way that Article make's it sound is like America in some idealistic place where shit doesn't stink and everyone understands and accepts one another and everyone is compassionate, which obviously isn't the case.

I think you can defend American values without becoming overtly jiingoistic or cheesy about it. It's also rather hypocritical considering it wasn't 50 years ago American's where hanging other American's solely based on their skin colour. True that doesn't happen (that much) anymore, but other countries such as in the middle east haven't developed passed that type of mindset for one reason or another.

According to Henry David Thoreau, I don't give a SHIT about how America USED to be 50 years ago, this is NOW. Giving that your views are differant than that of my own, you are my enemy. You are my evil.

mortiz.
America is simply a country where people are becoming less and less diffrent. If you think that if you walk into an airport, and 20 people will start making fun of you for no damn reason. Or they wont accept your money because of your color or something well... then you have america backwards. It is illegal to hang someone because of there skin color.... Thus the person who did it will be sent to jail I beileve under 1st Degree Murder. Most likly imprisoned to life or possibly the death sentence in the states that allow it.

America is free, and part of that is accepting that people can hate you for no reason at all. Freedom allows that. Some shit does stink in America, but thats part of having freedom. Part of being free is accepting that people can hate you because of your skin color, your voice, your hair color, your name, the first letter in your name, or any damn thing about it. Then they can go out in the streets and wear a T-Shirt that says "Blondes are Stupid". Or "Bush should die" or well damn near anything. That is part of freedom.
I do not define Freedom as America
I define U.S.A. as Freedom, as well as other countries that support freedom.

Mortiz, you are right though european nations did pretty much give us freedom.
-Britian made the 13 colonies
-Britian pissed the people over at the 13 colonies off
-Eventually war came...
-Eventually i beileve the french helped us out
-Eventually we won ourselves as a new nation
-We started off as.... "White Men are Free"
-Eventually over time...we began to see more and more people as free. I mean obviously america had a rocky start. But look at it today, you could walk into a restruant and see all kinds of people, all diffrent races, diffrent genders, diffrent everything. All of them being treated fair and respected.

Minerel said:
mortiz.
America is simply a country where people are becoming less and less diffrent. If you think that if you walk into an airport, and 20 people will start making fun of you for no damn reason. Or they wont accept your money because of your color or something well... then you have america backwards. It is illegal to hang someone because of there skin color.... Thus the person who did it will be sent to jail I beileve under 1st Degree Murder. Most likly imprisoned to life or possibly the death sentence in the states that allow it.

America is free, and part of that is accepting that people can hate you for no reason at all. Freedom allows that. Some shit does stink in America, but thats part of having freedom. Part of being free is accepting that people can hate you because of your skin color, your voice, your hair color, your name, the first letter in your name, or any damn thing about it. Then they can go out in the streets and wear a T-Shirt that says "Blondes are Stupid". Or "Bush should die" or well damn near anything. That is part of freedom.

-Eventually war came...
-Eventually over time...we began to see more and more people as free. I mean obviously america had a rocky start. But look at it today, you could walk into a restruant and see all kinds of people, all diffrent races, diffrent genders, diffrent everything. All of them being treated fair and respected.

Great post.

Minerel said:
But look at it today, you could walk into a restruant and see all kinds of people, all diffrent races, diffrent genders, diffrent everything. All of them being treated fair and respected.

While that is often true, it must be remembered that we still have quite a ways to go to reach that ideal. There is still plenty of racism, bigotry, and prejudice in this country, sadly enough.

Minerel said:
mortiz.

-Eventually war came...

That applies to most free nations, yet they don't get a mention?

mortiz said:
That applies to most free nations, yet they don't get a mention?

Those free nations aren't the ones constantly being romped on. And I do believe the whole point of it was that America was set out to be a free nation, in its entirety from the get-go. Most other countries had interl wars for personal freedoms. Although to NOT give a good deal of the credit to others, would be straight stupid. It took us a few hundred years, sure. But hey, we're there. Or at least damn close.

Neutrino said:

Doh', what happened to your big ass post? I read the first line and accidently hit F5, and *BAM*, it was gone.

Top Secret said:
Doh', what happened to your big ass post? I read the first line and accidently hit F5, and *BAM*, it was gone.

Sorry, I decided that I had somewhat minunderstood what the person said who I quoted, so I changed it.

Neutrino said:
Sorry, I decided that I had somewhat minunderstood what the person said who I quoted, so I changed it.

Oh. :) It looked like it was a long post. Hehe.

Audiophile said:
An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan. An American may also be a Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses. An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God given right of each person the pursuit of happiness.
* Offer void in cases of homosexuality.

...come on, you really should have expected that I would be the one who rains on this parade. :p

Ya if you like Americans. Go ask a cuban person what an American is. I bet you'll get a way different perspective.

colson said:
Ya if you like Americans. Go ask a cuban person what an American is. I bet you'll get a way different perspective.
actually, i don't think the cuban people have a problem with us...i think it's more like the communist cuban government.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
actually, i don't think the cuban people have a problem with us...i think it's more like the communist cuban government.

Yeah, my Spanish teacher came here from Cuba about one or two years after Castro got into power. Her husband was arrested and they had to sneak him out through the Columbian embassy. Then, she had to leave too. She likes the US -- really appreciates it. She doesn't even want to go back to Cuba because she's still afraid to go there.

Back