today's the day, Spike TV's VGA

Same here. If it's anything like the last VGA, it'll literally be a big honkin' pile of SHIT. I swear, I think 10% of the "awards ceremony" was actually devoted to video games and the developers of them.

Plus, you CANNOT do purely people's votes for something like this. A LOT of niche titles with FANTASTIC game designs can be missed out, plus old rehashed crap still gets awards (i.e. GTA:VC on PC last year). It is absolutely 100% ridiculous.

Please, make it stop!

I work for Gamestop, an official sponser of the VGAs, and if I have to watch that damned commercial one more time, it's going to kill me.

I never saw that VGA but from what I hear........

Eh ... I think MGS3 should win GOTY. It will probably either be Halo 2 or GTA:SA though. I've never seen it, and I don't have any interest in watching this one either. Award ceremonies don't interest me, especially one by some shitty cable channel.

RabidJester said:
Please, make it stop!

I work for Gamestop, an official sponser of the VGAs, and if I have to watch that damned commercial one more time, it's going to kill me.
i know what you mean, i must watch it at least 10 times during back to back CSI.

smwScott said:
Eh ... I think MGS3 should win GOTY. It will probably either be Halo 2 or GTA:SA though. I've never seen it, and I don't have any interest in watching this one either. Award ceremonies don't interest me, especially one by some shitty cable channel.
i just want to watch it out of curiosity. i know these shows are just popularity contests.

Blade, you don't want to watch it. Seriously. It's does more damage to the VG industry than the MTV Movie Awards does to the movie industry.

Cypher19 said:
Blade, you don't want to watch it. Seriously. It's does more damage to the VG industry than the MTV Movie Awards does to the movie industry.
the MTV movie damage the movie industry?
I just know that they nominees the populars movie,but still that awards are not so good

My favorite part is when they show David Spade trying to make gamer humor by saying "If you are playing so good you stay home from work to keep playing, you might be an addict."

Well, sure, that might appeal to the mainstream crowd as some off the wall funny concept, but I can't think of any hardcore gamers I know that haven't done that at some point or another. But my true complaint is one that irks my very soul every time I have to hear it, every time the 10 minute promo dvd we have playing repeats itself...

It's "playing so well", David. Not "good", "well". I'm not sure why people feel the need to promote themselves to gamers by slandering and stereotyping them from some superior social position, but at least use proper English to do so. Is that too much to ask? Billy Crystal takes the time to proofread his jokes when he's hosting awards.

Anyways, that's a pet peeve that I probably didn't need to share with everyone, but it stood out in the midst of marketing we see everywhere now. It's these types of shows and commercials and ads that paint a terribly poor picture of us, somehow thinking that will appeal to our base purchasing instincts or something. I however, am not an unshaven, lazy college student who wants to see rows of "hotties" parading around before they announce the award.

Gabe of Penny Arcade ranted on this back in 2002, regarding a blockbuster ad campaign:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2002-11-04

Of course, language warning as always with PA.

BladeTurbo said:
god i hope HL2 wins. if halo 2 wins i will be so pissed off.
Why would you set yourself up to be pissed off?
I'd be nice if HL2 won though.

RabidJester said:
My favorite part is when they show David Spade trying to make gamer humor by saying "If you are playing so good you stay home from work to keep playing, you might be an addict."

Well, sure, that might appeal to the mainstream crowd as some off the wall funny concept, but I can't think of any hardcore gamers I know that haven't done that at some point or another. But my true complaint is one that irks my very soul every time I have to hear it, every time the 10 minute promo dvd we have playing repeats itself...

It's "playing so well", David. Not "good", "well". I'm not sure why people feel the need to promote themselves to gamers by slandering and stereotyping them from some superior social position, but at least use proper English to do so. Is that too much to ask? Billy Crystal takes the time to proofread his jokes when he's hosting awards.

Anyways, that's a pet peeve that I probably didn't need to share with everyone, but it stood out in the midst of marketing we see everywhere now. It's these types of shows and commercials and ads that paint a terribly poor picture of us, somehow thinking that will appeal to our base purchasing instincts or something. I however, am not an unshaven, lazy college student who wants to see rows of "hotties" parading around before they announce the award.

Gabe of Penny Arcade ranted on this back in 2002, regarding a blockbuster ad campaign:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2002-11-04

Of course, language warning as always with PA.

I could not agree more (on all points, including the broken English).

Personally I could care less about the award show. It's just really quite sad that this circus will be what some people use to form their opinions on gamers and games in general. It paints a picture showing us off as juvenile children.

Obviously Halo2 will be GOTY or either GTA:SA.

Half Life 2 and MGS3 will come close, but they aren't really great fanbase compared to those two games.

Its spike tv, geezus, they know nothing. I watched it last year, and the only thing that kept me from gouging my eyes out and stabbing my brain with a pencil was the hot chicks. Thats it. Spike tv is pretty lame...

Jackathan said:
Its spike tv, geezus, they know nothing. I watched it last year, and the only thing that kept me from gouging my eyes out and stabbing my brain with a pencil was the hot chicks. Thats it. Spike tv is pretty lame...

...and the fact you had the "off" button on your TV remote handy.

Jackathan said:

Yeh you couldnt stab yourself because your hands were down your pants at the time.

In reply to qckbeam's post: You're a better gamer if you dig their show, though!

Ugh Halo 2,
A terrible ending, and not to mention they tried to much with the engine, I hated having to look at bump maps and textures, and LOD models popping in as I moved up to things......

It doesnt matter if Half-Life 2 wins or not, it wont affect our favor in the game.

It's at 9:00pm EST. I am not going to watch all of it. I remember when Valve, or somebody, said that there is going to be new HL2 footage and information on the TechTV gameshow awards Gphoria, or something. Anywho... I was watching.. all pumped up too see something new about my... "precious". Turns out I had to wait 'till the end of the show to see anything based on HL2 (except for the start, where the gman just said some BS I didn't really care about).

Throughout that time I was watching this dude and his chick makin' out on stage and laughing at geeks wjile some "popular" rock band was singing some ****in' love song. Then a rapper started rapping "why?" (that rap song) with a bunch of paid extras with "why?" written on thier shirts to go to the front of the stage and waive thier hands... but behind them there were like 3 people looking down on th floor and nodding... I think they were sad.

Anyway... there I was... "Doug Lombardi Talks About HL2 After The Break!".... The blood was rushing all around me... I think I caught a woody (I'm a nerd ;) ). So then I waited until the stupid 5 min commerical ended. Doug then started spewing the same garbage that he gave us for a year. They then overlapped some HL2 game footage from the Binks and then it all ended. That was the first and last time that I beleived in Game Award shows.

So there you have it.. its all BS. Don't count on Spike TV's version being diffeent. They will have hot chicks, rock bands, rappers, paid extras... but in the end they will put you down for being into a game that youlike to play.

That is my rant and my opinion. Hopefully some of will take heed to this warning and not turn into the sad excuse of a person that I am. The end. ;(

I highly doubt HL2 will get the award, it's not a 'mainstream' title.
I could see Doom 3 (ugh) having a good chance, as Carmack even got a 6 page spread in TIME magazine (extremely interesting article, I might add) so the world already loves it.
But yeah, Halo 2 will most likely get it.

Personally, I'd vote for either HL2, Fable or Metroid Prime 2.

Then we might have a chance.
Gaming net nerds! Go!
I'll go make my vote.

Edit: ****, I guess I am retarded. Oh well, I don't care much for tv outside of Adult Swim anyway. I don't even have cable in my new apartment.

Halo 2 will sin everything simply because it's popular

The VGA's are complete 120% utter bullshit

Looks like Halo 2 beat out Half life 2 in the best FPS. Half Life 2 will never have a chance because people arent smart enough to play pc games. Halo is going to win everything just because all the hype and its a console game.

Sims 2 will win best PC game.

...because its developed by ea *cough*

also note, best driving game was, EA vs EA vs EA.

hmmmmm

wow, half-life 2 actually won an award. 'best graphics'.

Yep, it won tha best graphics... But i was sure the source engine was going to win best new technology, i dont really think the Nintendo DS should have won.

Why would Source win best technology? When people think of that, they think of hardware, so things like FPS engines don't stand a chance. The DS is a really neat gaming system: not exactly a new concept or new invention, but a great execution as a complete package.

Now now people, calm down. It's a video game award show. And as the winners were voted for online, that means it's also a popularity contest. That in itself makes me not really care who does and doesn't win.

There is only one thing true for me.

What is the most played online game?
Counter-Strike.

Where it came from?
Valve. (yeah yeah, was a mod but used HL1 engine)

Period. Inteligent people don't need those shity awards to know what game to play. Besides, this is just America, most contries are much more PC games then consoles (mostly because they are freacking expansive).

Halo 2 can rock in America but Half-Life 2 rocks on the entire world.

Period².

OmegaX said:
Looks like Halo 2 beat out Half life 2 in the best FPS. Half Life 2 will never have a chance because people arent smart enough to play pc games. Halo is going to win everything just because all the hype and its a console game.
I think is cuz more people dont hav enough money to buy hig end PC's not cuz consles players are idiots

Back