Top 5 Favourite Bands

Thursday said:
Ok lets see whats wrong with that. First, Thursday is not emo. They are post-hardcore. Emo is stuff along the lines of Bright Eyes and Death Cab for Cutie.

Actually, Bright Eyes is indie rock.

errr...here goes

But I must warn you that my musical taste is considered to be quite questionable.

1-Blink 182
2-The Offspring
3-Linkin Park
then it kinda breaks up into a lot of bands, but I think I'd have to say
4-Greenday
5-Sum 41...I think

From looking at my list, one might think I'm all like these new-age guys that got interested in music...say, last year, given the current popularity of the bands I chose, but nah, not really, I got interested into these bands quite a few years ago, and back in 1999 I went to a memorable Offspring concert. Man, it was great!

EDIT: by the way, I'm supposed to post a description under every band I chose, but I can't do that, so meh...

ok....

THRICE- best band around

Thursday- Cant go Wrong

Underoath- f*cking awsome

Incubus- Make Yourself was amazing but have gone downhill since then

Cant decide on a 5th... list includes...

Finch,
Funeral for a Friend,
the Used (1st cd)

Nickelback.......... uh just kidding.. they get my vote for worst band ever

DeusExMachinia said:
Neutral Milk Hotel
My favorite band ever. Give em a listen. Good stuff.

Good shit man, have you got jeff mangum's live at jittery joe's?
Awesome solo live set in a small cafe.
Also check out like broken social scene, arcade fire, ted leo and the pharmacists (judging from your list of worthy mentions)

1. Rammstein
2. omega and the mechanical animals
3. Saliva
4. Orgy
5. The 69 eyez

I think all of you should listen to a couple pink floyd albums, specifically, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and maybe Animals, and Echoes, you will come to notice that this is probably the best band ever. Now you have to listen to it, you cant be waiting for something good to happen, you have to chill out and listen to each album in one sitting, preferably when your in your car alone. Wish You Were Here would be perfect for that, you will notice that the album will fit perfectly with whatever setting you are in, the album is filled with deep provocative lyrics, even more provocative pictures in the booklet (amazing pictures, takes a long time to understand their symbolism), i mean the booklet alone makes the album worth buying, you will also find that the band works together on everything, solos are not really "solo", no one gets the spotlight, everything comes together perfectly, even when the keyboard, guitar and bass are soloing at the same time in Shine On yOu crazy diamond everything works perfectly. And dont say they are just recording it seperately in a studio because I know for a fact that that is not true, not to mention that when that album was recorded they didnt have the cash nor the technology to do that type of thing, their songs were one take deals. The sound effects in pink floyds music will sometimes make you turn your head over your shoulder to see if its real, looking for whatever the sound was behind you. You will jump out of reality when listening to their music. nuff said

Here goes:

1)Primus
2)P-Funk
3)Chick Corea Electric Band
4)The (old, 1988-1995) Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Hi.

1) Smashing Pumpkins
2) Mew
3) Placebo
4) Zwan
5) Radiohead

In no particular order,

Grateful Dead
Hieroglyphics
Fugazi
TMBG
Tenacious D

think all of you should listen to a couple pink floyd albums, specifically, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and maybe Animals, and Echoes, you will come to notice that this is probably the best band ever
Listened to them, dont like them much. A bit boring

Pink Floyd is a great amazing band.

I'll need to add the band Frog Eyes as my 2nd favorite band and knock Cap'n Jazz into honorable mentions (or 6th place). Their music makes me feel like I'm in a dream. Simply awesome.

1 - rAdIOhEaD (surprise, isnt it?)
2 - Pink Floyd
3 - The Beatles
4 - The Rolling Stones
5 - U2

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Kiss

Beatles

Led Zeppellin

Green Day

Iron Maiden
Heavy Metal
top guitar work, top lyrics, top vocals. just exclude most of their 90's work (except Fear of the Dark) and it's all top notch

suggestions: hallowed be thy name, the evil that men do, fear of the dark, the trooper, aces high, wrathchild

Children of Bodom
Agressive Speed Metal
insane. that's how i would describe their guitar work/vocals.
their frontman Alexi Laiho is freaken great, shredding awsome solos and very harsh vocals

suggestions: needled 24/7, deadnight warrior, lake bodom, touch like an angel of death, bodom after midnight

Metallica
Thrash Metal
just anything before the black album. awsometastic (that a word? is now!)

suggestions: hit the lights, the four horsemen, seek & destroy, master of puppets, one, fade to black, call of ktulu

Megadeth
Thrash Metal
anything in youthanasia and before is awsome, rust in peace being one of the best thrash metal albums ever. vocals aren't great... but that's not what metal's all about! (mostly)

suggestions: mechanix, hangar18, holy wars, set the world afire, peace sells, reckoning day, skin o my teeth

Incubus
some funky wtf rock
only thing i'm interested in is science, fkn trippy album. and is awsome

suggestions: new skin, certain shade of green, calgone

and some honorable mentions now;
in flames
opeth
the living end
tool/apc
dream theater
the haunted

Sisters of Mercy
Description - Great band. Haunting and beautiful melodies. The vocalist has an extremely deep and original voice. It is goth-rock and the lyrics are mostly about love and angst. Check out the CD's "First Last and Always" and "Vision Thing".

Marilyn Manson
Description - ****ing awesome but very misunderstood band. The band changes styles with every CD. They go from industrial rock (Antichrist Superstar), to glam rock (Mechanical Animals), and semi-gothic rock (Portrait of an American Family). The lyrics are really thoughtful and deep.

Nine Inch Nails
Description - Industrial pop-rock at it's finest. Angsty lyrics, catchy songs, heavy but beautiful at the same time. Fragile owns.

Cradle of Filth

Children of Bodom

Thursday said:
Ha well, at least I got Death Cab right or so I hope.

No way. Death Cab aren't emo. In fact, the majority of bands purported to be emo these days actually aren't. The first proper emo record was made by a band called Rites of Spring, members of which later formed Fugazi. Death Cab for Cutie aren't emo at all, and they'd probably be considered Indie too.

Anyhow my favourites:

The Rolling Stones - No explaination needed.

The Pixies - one of the most influential bands in history, the Pixies reinvigorated the quiet-loud dynamic, laid the foundations for bands like Nirvana, Radiohead and numerous others. Add this to the fact that their popularity has exponentially exploded over the years when they weren't about at all.

Radiohead - C'mon, everybody knows about these guys by now.

Pavement - Stephen Malkmus is one of the best active lyricists. He may be going solo now, but his work as frontman of Pavement is unsurpassed by lesser bands. Wistful, witty and a pure joy to listen to, these guys were 90s American Indie.

The Shins - Life-affirming, sunny music. Sort of a mix between The Cure, Beach Boys and Weezer, the Shins combine brilliant lyrics with catchy, unassuming melodies that can bring a smile to anyone's face. James Mercer is the new Brian Wilson.

Honourable mentions: Mclusky, Matthew Good, Matthew Good Band, Talk Talk, Refused, At the Drive In, Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Bright Eyes, The Beatles, the Kinks, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Apostle of Hustle, the Arcade Fire, Jason Falkner, Jon Brion, Spoon, Modest Mouse, Desaparecidos, Elliott Smith, Pink Floyd, Jeff Buckley, Tim Buckley etc etc.

The top 5 changes daily.

J_Tweedy said:
DeusExMachinia said:
Neutral Milk Hotel
My favorite band ever. Give em a listen. Good stuff.

Good shit man, have you got jeff mangum's live at jittery joe's?
Awesome solo live set in a small cafe.
Also check out like broken social scene, arcade fire, ted leo and the pharmacists (judging from your list of worthy mentions)

I'm hoping to get the cd for Christmas. Thanks for the band recommendations.

its funny to see so many ppl on this forum listen to rock/punk/metal kind of music... where I live most ppl dispise metal/rock and punk
anyways:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Slipknot
Soilwork
Papa Roach
Children of Bodom
Dreamtheater
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Metallica
Korn
Sum-41
The Offspring
Blink-182

and i can recommend Joe Satriani to everybody who loves guitar music..

I just couldn't give 5... cause all of the above bands pwn

Godsmack, I guess everyone just forgot about them, that's ok.

1. tsunami bomb
2. the unseen
3. tiger army
4. thursday
5. dead kennedys

Misfits
RHCP
Offspring
Sublime
Incubus

Fav artists:

Johnny Cash
Bob Marley
Lionel Richie

:thumbs:

1.Therion
2.Blind Guardian
3.Rhapsody
4.Metallica
5.Rainbow
:thumbs:

As I Lay Dying
Himsa
With Passion
Dead To Fall
--any metalcore band--

A Perfect Circle - Mostly because they're the only band I've heard so far with a song proclaiming how STUPID suicide is.

Cake - A far cry from A Perfect Circle, but I love their bass lines and their lyrics. Another interesting fact about them is that they rotate which band members play which instruments, which gives each instrument several unique styles in different songs.

Green Day - Come ON! It's freakin' GREEN DAY. Few bands have managed to make such great music with simple three-chord melodies.

Audioslave - A great deal of their music seems quite contrived, but I like the slight twinge of ACDC in them.

Cowboy Mouth - Gotta represent for the boys from good ol' Louisiana. Great blend of country and rock.

In no particular order
1)Creed
2)311
3)sublime
4)Modest Mouse
5)Audioslave
Honorable mentions(as in they wouldnt fit)
Hoobastank, Incubus, kenny Chesney,Lost Prophets,No Doubt, Pearl Jam, Rooney, U2, Weezer

Beatles: One of the most influential bands to come out of the 60s/70s.

Hendrix: Best guitarist ever.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Dont know why, I just like them.

Velvet Revolver: Probably the best band of the early 2000s.

i liked Creed when i was about 12 LOL before i discovered good music...but hey if he likes it good for him please don't bash him for it.

1. Behemoth - unique blackened/death metal
2. Too many bands to list

Really though, I can survive on Behemoth alone... Their 3 latest albums contain everything I listen to music for.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
A Perfect Circle - Mostly because they're the only band I've heard so far with a song proclaiming how STUPID suicide is.

Cake - A far cry from A Perfect Circle, but I love their bass lines and their lyrics. Another interesting fact about them is that they rotate which band members play which instruments, which gives each instrument several unique styles in different songs.

Green Day - Come ON! It's freakin' GREEN DAY. Few bands have managed to make such great music with simple three-chord melodies.

Audioslave - A great deal of their music seems quite contrived, but I like the slight twinge of ACDC in them.

Cowboy Mouth - Gotta represent for the boys from good ol' Louisiana. Great blend of country and rock.

Good choices indeed sir.

vai,(virto-solo guitar crazy dude with wings)
eric sardinas(country blues )
pantera(thrash metal/dimebag founder shot to death less than 48 hours ago)
michael jackson(solo artist mowtown pop)
nobuo uematsu(composer)

Radiohead - Yeah, it's cliche as it gets, but they're just that damn good. I will never skip over one of their songs if it comes up in my playlist.

Dream Theatre - Some of the sickest guitar I have ever heard, including Hendrix.

Muse - I was happily surprised to see that a lot of you have mentioned them. Like Radiohead, I won't skip over any of their tracks.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Go check them out. A great album to start with would be "Take Them On, On Your Own." In particular, the tracks "In Like the Rose," "And I'm Aching," and "Ha Ha High Babe." I like them.

Amon Tobin - The master of all things electronic. 'Nuff said.

Back