Votes: 4 4.1%
  • No, but I want to/ will be learning soon

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • No, I'm good as is.

Votes: 21 21.6%

• Total voters
Yes

I do but im not the best at it.

I touch type all the time. I never look at the keyboard anymore. Been doing it for about 1½ years now.

MaxiKana said:
I touch type all the time. I never look at the keyboard anymore. Been doing it for about 1½ years now.

You know why? Because people from northern Europe is smarter then America. :)

Haha I guess we are :p and their keyboards are inferior to ours :p with our åäö buttons!

I can't touch type, but I do type 70-80 wpm with perfect accuracy.
I don't know what you would call my style of typing, I never look at the keyboard (don't have to anymore, got all the key locations memorized) and I don't keep my fingers on the "home row"

I can touch type and have been able to for a long time... i guess thats just msn for you...

btw this was all touch typed. :)

I don't touch type. I don't hunt and peck. I have my own method, whereas I don't look at the keyboard, and type 100+ WPM. Who needs touch typing when I can type like I do already?

Yeah well I don't really use the "proper" touch type system.. I just take one glance at the keyboard when i'm putting my hands down on it, then off I type!

You can tell who does and who doesn't - touch typers read what they're typing as they type it on the screen, and so typos are rare to non-existent.

Alcohol has a rather adverse effect on touchtyping ability though... spend more time deleting than typing!

Hmm then I probably must be a touch typer after all. Since I read what I type as I type it.

Touch typing rules. So many people who enter university have no idea how to do it so, after four-plus years of typing out essays I sit down in the labs and start ratteling the keys machinegun style a lot of the first years actually turn and stair.

Its actually freaky sometimes. When typing common words I dont need to think about where to individually move my fingers so if I type a sentance full of commonly used words, by the end it feels like my hands are typing on thier own.

It takes practice, but you'll never forget it once you learn :)

(it's also very usefull ;))

Yeah I know it's very freaky. Especially when writing it's and what's and so on. I sometimes ponder at how did that ' get there? I didn't write it!

I used to touch-type Qwerty. Now I touch-type Dvorak and need to peek a little (or concentrate a bit) to type Qwerty. Oddly enough, if I'm on an unfamiliar keyboard, I sometimes regress and type Qwerty without thinking, even if it's supposed to be Dvorak.

The main observation I have after the switch is that I am much less fatigued after typing for a long time.

I learned to touchtype when I had a roomate in college - when you have a report to type and the lights are out you'll find you learn pretty quickly...

crushenator 500 said:
I look at the keyboard, but i reckon i can type without doing so...
Likewise. Some time ago, I needed to look at the keyboard to bend their keys to my will. But now, my powers are greater, and I no longer need to.
Keyboards have weak minds against the powers of the force...

actually, I type with as many fingers as needed, in a non-touchy, much-looky manner. I got 36 words-per-min in the test. I'd like to be faster but I'm too lazy to make such a concerted effort.

Sometimes I will look down at the keyboard, but thats normally when I make a mistake, or I'm just placing my fingers on the keys. Occasionally I will glance down to make sure I'm remember the keys correctly or something like that...

The tried to teach us touch typing in school years ago...I guess it worked in a fasion but I never really followed with how they taught it...For instance I rarely use my little fingers at all.

The huge texts I usually write + my addiction to MSN tought me pretty quick.

nw909 said:
I can't touch type, but I do type 70-80 wpm with perfect accuracy.
I don't know what you would call my style of typing, I never look at the keyboard (don't have to anymore, got all the key locations memorized) and I don't keep my fingers on the "home row"

Thats me. When they tried to teach me touch typing at school I coudn't manage more than 50 WPM. With my style of typing I punch out 75+ WPM.

I do touch type, probably in my own little variant of the proper way.

I tried switching to dvorak a while ago, but my keyboard has some slight ergonomical stuff to it which makes it hard to change a key's places. The alternative would be learning to type in dvorak on a keyboard where the key doesn't match the output. I tried, it's hard.

The tried to teach us touch typing in school years ago...I guess it worked in a fasion but I never really followed with how they taught it...For instance I rarely use my little fingers at all.

This made me check if I used my little fingers, turns out I use them for shift and enter. Not very useful info, but it shows how it doesn't take a conscious effort to do it, for all you hunt and peckers who are too lazy to switch :p

I touch type, and I don't have to look at my fingers. I use all eleven of my fingers.

I started learning to type in 3rd grade, yay for Catholic education!

I don't want to know what the eleventh "finger" is, or even what its exact purpose is...

I was thinking about getting one of those dvorak keyboards but I haven't really been bothered...plus, you can't spell qwerty on the first line :p

I don't touch type, but I type really fast, and without looking at the keyboard..so it doesn't really matter too much, especially with my rate of error approaching zero.

Haha 61 yes's, but you know that not even close to half of them are, they just didn't know what it was.

Kyo said:
Thats me. When they tried to teach me touch typing at school I coudn't manage more than 50 WPM. With my style of typing I punch out 75+ WPM.

Pfft, touch typing I can't get over 5 wpm.

But lo and behold, my style = 100+ on short sentences.

One of the problems with those typing tests is they're only really good if you copy something from text.. For example, I don't look at the screen at all. I type much faster when I'm just writing things then when I have to match it with something on the screen. The typing test I took was 36 wpm, I think I'm probably about twice that writing this.

I agree. Copying words is harder than thinking of what to write. Although they have to have a standard somehow.

I wonder how they, who don't touchtype properly, do when throwing letters, numbers, punctuation and symbols in the mix. ;)
Slow ya down much?

Maybe that's why we have all of these people who post without complete sentences. :O

I've gotten over 500 WPM one time. :O

I have a little trouble typing an 8 or 6. That's all. Apart from that the only time I look at the keyboard is when I need to think of something to write..

I voted No but while typing this post I found out that I really do touch type. I have no clue how I learned to do this, I guess I spend too much time on the damned computer. :(

I type everything without looking, its like with 2- 3 fingers on every hand tho, I'm only on the comp fo rlike 10 min a day if at all, but I can type well and very fast. I know the keyboard so well I could type with 1 finger and my eyes closed= may sound sad but really I have a good memory.

I type with my eyse closed alot, this entire post is me touch typing with my eyes closed.

I R POST WITH EYES CLOSEZED LOL JKKKK ARG HEHEHEHHE. NOW I POSTE WITH BOOGERS ON MAI HANDZE!!!1

You're only a truly great touch-typist if you can force typos with your eyes closed :cool:

I can kind of touchtype.... I can type with my eyes closed or reading of a piece of paper or something at around 67 words per minute at 100% accuracy (www.typingtest.com). But I haven't taken any courses or anything, so I'm probably not using my fingers perfectly... but yeah, I can still type fast and without looking at the keyboard.

Back