Uber low performance

NeptuneUK

Space Core
Reaction score
Think its my P4 3ghz, but it shouldn't be THIS bad. Basicly, I've had this major performance problem for months, I get uber low performance on all of my games
eg)
30fps in DOD: S with HDR and AA off. That framerate should be illegal with an X850XT.
I have 2gb DDR2 Ram, too.

So far:
Have reinstalled windows
Virus/spyware scanned, defragmented, new drivers, disabled AV, blah.
Disabled thermal throttling
Got an arctic cooler
Made sure nothing is overheating
Tried overclocking (everything)
Got a good PSU
Tried talking to steam support (don't want to help)
Posted on a couple of forums (Listed all of the above as suggestions) including HL2.net several months back

Nothing has helped my stupid FPS in games (all games) hence... HELP MEH

Thats odd my old pc was a 3.2g with x800 pro 256 and 2 gigs of generic ram and ran those games with over 60 + fps

I'm not good at finding out problems but somthings not right .

I heard if you have 2 gigs of ram make sure you have 2X 1 gig sticks and NOT 4X512 sticks it slowed down performance alot. If you have 4X512 sicks take 2 of them out, its quicker with 1 gig rather than 2 .

Asus(mod on the forums) told me that a while back

Um, this might be a dumb question but I noticed that you don't have "installed latest graphics drivers" on your list, is this something you have done?

I've got my own framerate issues ATM. In CS:S (and only CS:S) every 5-10 mins the framerate drops from 40-60 fps to 5-15 fps for about a minute before going back up to normal.

Also, I have 2 X 1GB DDR2 corsair value ram 533mhz
Oops missed that :eek:.
I suppose you also have the latest DirectX and motherboard drivers as well.
I really don't know what else to do - it's such a unusual problem.
I suppose the next step would be contacting ATI.

Well if this crappy performance is only happening in games then your first step should have been trying a different video card...

Is it just in games or all around sluggishness?

Well if this crappy performance is only happening in games then your first step should have been trying a different video card...

Is it just in games or all around sluggishness?

It doesn't feel particular fast, nor slow in programs. I do a lot of audio work.

Don't you just have another videocard laying around somewhere? You might wanna try that first before you buy a new one.

Try reverting your graphic card drivers back i noticed then since i update my ATI drivers pass the 6.4 version my performance went way down.

Tried various drivers. I think it could be hardware related.. but how?

Thats odd my old pc was a 3.2g with x800 pro 256 and 2 gigs of generic ram and ran those games with over 60 + fps

I'm not good at finding out problems but somthings not right .

I heard if you have 2 gigs of ram make sure you have 2X 1 gig sticks and NOT 4X512 sticks it slowed down performance alot. If you have 4X512 sicks take 2 of them out, its quicker with 1 gig rather than 2 .

Asus(mod on the forums) told me that a while back

Not trying to start a flame war or anything but I asked the same question about the performance difference between 2x1gb and 4x512mb in HardForum and they told me that the performance difference would be very minimal like +-3% if that.

Not trying to start a flame war or anything but I asked the same question about the performance difference between 2x1gb and 4x512mb in HardForum and they told me that the performance difference would be very minimal like +-3% if that.

Lies, Puts stress on the memory controller. When you have 2 sticks they run in dual channel mode. There is no quad channel!

Slightly slower 2GB ram could be advantagous over faster 1gb in most situations.

Slightly slower 2GB ram could be advantagous over faster 1gb in most situations.
I completely agree.

Regarding the link I provided, it has nothing to do with the total amount of memory but how many banks. If they had put 2GB (2x 1GB) vs 2GB (4x 512MB) in their systems it would show the same thing.

Z0mg!!! Just ordered a new graphics card!!! \o/

Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB

I was going to suggest checking whether or not your hardware acceleration was set to full, and if your AGP slot was running slower than 8x.

D: I didn't know the 850XT was PCIe!

I'd check the bus speed anyway.

What's it sposed to be? 100mhz?

edit: wewt!!! the card im getting is capable of Prey max settings at 1280x1024 60fps! BF2 Max settings 98fps CoD2 62fps FEAR 56fps

!!! (Ill have to wait for my Core 2 duo for anything anywhere near those benchmarks tho)

What's it sposed to be? 100mhz?

edit: wewt!!! the card im getting is capable of Prey max settings at 1280x1024 60fps! BF2 Max settings 98fps CoD2 62fps FEAR 56fps

!!! (Ill have to wait for my Core 2 duo for anything anywhere near those benchmarks tho)
Ooh, nice performance :D

The bus speed generally isn't measured in MHz, but with a multiplier. AGP went 1, 2, 4, and 8x, whereas PCI-e also goes 16x, which (I think) any PCI-e card will support. I believe it's a BIOS setting - at least, that's where I'd look for it first.

I'm pretty sure it's 100Mhz for the PCI-Express bus. I'd have to double check. hehe

Depending on what aspect of the buss you are talking about you either refer to the bus in MHz or to the speed. For example, the AGP bus runs at 66mhz and depending on what version of slot you are talking about it could be 2x, 4x or 8x speed. (So a 8x AGP would be 533MHz)

Ahh, that makes sense. Like how a CPU speed is the FSB speed x CPU Multiplier?

But an AGP/PCIe slot can be clocked down, I'm sure of it.

Sounds like you might need a new computer.

DON'T FLAME ME PLEASE! Let me explain! :)

I had this exact problem. I also tried everything under the sun, and I had a 3.2 P4. It was like it ran with a constant, big bottleneck. I got to replaced my motherboard, AND my processor; Before I got the 3.2, I was running a 2.6. New ram didn't help much, either. I guess what I'm trying to say is... after messing around with it so much... Tweaking and messing with various small things never helped me. Personally... I think it's the AGP that sucked. It must have been. Well, have have you thought of getting a new machine, or at least replacing the guts of it?

Sounds like you might need a new computer.

Z0mg!! Teh UB3R C0mp00taR CuRs3!!! ;)

I AM replacing it!!! im buying a new GFX and CPU!!!!!!11one
My RAM and mobo are fine anyway, if I really felt like it I could replace my mobo at a later date if this one doesnt like overclocking core 2's

Wierdly enough, last night I went on BF2 with 40-80fps on med/high settings! How normal is that?!!?

Back