Ugly water in HL2?

IMO, HL2's water is far superior to farcry's, mainly because I've seen all the videos out for HL2 and there is a lot ofvariation in the rendering of the water. In some videos you see it still eg, new coast video and at other times it's quite chaotic, eg orange liquide in kleiners lab. There just seems to be a larger variety as to what HL2 water can achieve.
Also if you've gotten the playable VST map for cs:s and walked through the level you'd notice source's water rendering reflects and refracts much more realistically than FC's. IMO.

Yeah, HL2's water has that something-lens effect... frensel? Fresnel? I don't know what it's called but the water get more reflective depending on the angle you see it from. I don't think Far Cry's does that.

far cry's water worked perfectley for a tropical island....after just going to the cayman islands this summer, I can tell you, water really does look like that on a tropical island. Far Cry's water relied on a blue tone to give it color, and the reflection of the sky.However, people can relate to hl2's water more, and it is technically more advanced than far cry's.

hl2's water relies mostly on it's tranparency, reflection, and refraction to give it depth and color; just like real water. Hl2's water thus looks much more realistic, espescially when used in small spaces like rivers or ponds.

and trust me, if you played bada_aztec ( I couldn't resist) you would agree that hl2's water is superb.

The water look extremly good if you have a graphics card that supports their shader technology. If you got a gfx card that sux then it will be ugly-ass water. But I asumed u knew that (asuuumed? :S sorry for my bad english)

Back