Ugly water in HL2?

cs:s may not be a full game, but it is the source engine, and it plays the same as the full halflife2 will. farcry did'nt play well at all, it just felt... bad, its hard to describe. I could run it fine, but the game just wasnt there. Anyway, what makes those indoor farcry screenshots look so good is heavy use of bumpmaping on mettalic surfaces. The source engine is capable of that, but halflife2 doesnt take place in a old battleship, it takes places in towns and countryside. The resolution is higher on source textures, and the polygon count is better to. If I was gunna talk about a game that had a 1-up on halflife2 from a tech standpoint I would be talking about doom3, farcry may as well have used a myst interface.

Oh, and I would like to point something out about the water. Both games use almost exactly the same tech to make water effects, so at highest settings both games water should look about the same. the only difference will be what the water is reflecting.

....It runs as the full Half life 2....no. I'm sorry. Is your graphics card rendering the ant lions and combine soldiers? No. Is it rendering the large, spacious towns and countryside? No. It is rendering the tiny, enclosed maps that are basically one large room.

I just got back from playing CS:S on bada_aztec, and I must say the water looks like crap.

Could you please go into a little more detail on "it didn't play well at all, it just felt, bad." That...that statement is just so crappy...

The gameplay was choppy, shooting was choppy, moving over terrain made you sway in odd ways, mouse lag often reared its ugly head, etc.

What video card are you using? bada_aztec looks fantastic for me, just like the docks video.

I'm using a 9800 pro, and I have played with my settings quite a bit, I may have turned on some dx9 extensions that arent on by default(but I dont think so).

With the settings as I have them, the way it looks for me is considerably better than farcry considering the way everything including underwater things reflect.

And btw, it DOES run like halflife2 will. because its the same engine. If you load up a empty box map for good old halflife it feels the same to run around it as a full sized highly detailed map. because its the same darn engine.

Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis. I don't experience any of the problems you mentioned with Far Cry. It could be the surrounding area of the map, but the water doesn't look all that great as shown in the Docks video. Eh.

It reflects everything I see acuratly, it cant exactly look any better than that.

And I may not have described farcrys problems very well... it just didnt feel 'tight'. it was like driving a minivan versus a sportscar.

I should mention that I find the unreal engine has a lot of the same problems. it just doesnt FEEL right.

Yes, it reflects it correctly, but it just doesn't look all that nice. It looks like something is constantly making the water move, thus looks all pixely because of the way it is done....meh.

Far Cry runs smooth as..***nning butter. Oh well.

Pixely? How about a screenshot showing this 'pixelyness'. Just use the Video stress test. Because it looks fine there.

If someone wants to say why FarCry looks better they should do it in an organized fashion. List the features that it has in comparison to Source (so far they seem the same to me). Give examples of what was done in FarCry that made it look good; explain it to everybody so they can either understand your point of view or point out mistakes in your own logic. When giving visual comparisons, it helps to describe what you like about one and what you don't like about another. Do not state any opinion as fact because that automatically kills the legitamacy of your arguments. Remember that you are NEVER going to change somebody's prefrences on what graphics they like and don't like; all you can do is just defend your opinion.

Styloid said:
If someone wants to say why FarCry looks better they should do it in an organized fashion. List the features that it has in comparison to Source (so far they seem the same to me). Give examples of what was done in FarCry that made it look good; explain it to everybody so they can either understand your point of view or point out mistakes in your own logic. When giving visual comparisons, it helps to describe what you like about one and what you don't like about another. Do not state any opinion as fact because that automatically kills the legitamacy of your arguments. Remember that you are NEVER going to change somebody's prefrences on what graphics they like and don't like; all you can do is just defend your opinion.

I just bought Far Cry today, and I can say, for me, that it's a lot more impressive graphically than Half-Life 2. Sure, HL2 may have a gritty realism to it's look, and while it does look fantastic, I still think games like Far Cry and Doom 3 beat it. They just look better; they're more vibrant and detailed than HL2's envrionments (yes, even Doom 3, I think the shadows add a lot to the atmosphere). I couldn't care less if they have a plastic look to them, I still think they're more fun to look at. I find it easier to stare at Far Cry or Doom 3 and just gawp in awe, in comparison to HL2. I never really understood the whole notion that realism = better. Toy Story was a lot more fun to look at than, for example, The Village.

DarkSonic said:
Yes, it reflects it correctly, but it just doesn't look all that nice. It looks like something is constantly making the water move, thus looks all pixely because of the way it is done....meh.

Yeah.. I can understand why you're not used to moving water, water in FC is like one big blob of blue pudding. :p

Far Cry runs smooth as..***nning butter. Oh well.

I'm having a hard time getting playable framerates on a 9800 Pro, while it's not even showing anything interesting either. In other words: it runs like crap.
The movement also feels bulky and unnatural, but that's a different thing.

I just bought Far Cry today, and I can say, for me, that it's a lot more impressive graphically than Half-Life 2. Sure, HL2 may have a gritty realism to it's look, and while it does look fantastic, I still think games like Far Cry and Doom 3 beat it. They just look better; they're more vibrant and detailed than HL2's envrionments (yes, even Doom 3, I think the shadows add a lot to the atmosphere). I couldn't care less if they have a plastic look to them, I still think they're more fun to look at. I find it easier to stare at Far Cry or Doom 3 and just gawp in awe, in comparison to HL2. I never really understood the whole notion that realism = better.

Realism is Better.
Realism = Realistic shadows, Physics and other stuff.

I played FarCry.. and i must say.. It sucked. it just didn't appeal to me. (yes, i had the BEST settings and so on..)

The water in Farcry is OK... not AWESOME or Spectacular.. it only reflects in a cool way.. Play SuperMarioSunshine (GC) and swim out a bit..
That water made me go WOW (back in the days).. FarCry water (on highest setting) made me go.. looks good..
HL2's water makes me go .. oh, it reacts cool when objects fall into it..
The constant rippling of the water is not so HOT.

DOOM3's water was just FANTASTIC.. oh, wait... :)

KagePrototype said:
I never really understood the whole notion that realism = better. Toy Story was a lot more fun to look at than, for example, The Village.

Realism is definately better in some cases. What if Band of Brothers was CG with Toy Story graphics? That would be extremely stupid.

ElFuhrer said:
Realism is definately better in some cases. What if Band of Brothers was CG with Toy Story graphics? That would be extremely stupid.

Well obviously it would be dumb in those cases, I was referring more to the fanatic stance some people take that realistic is ALWAYS better. I guess the movie analogy was bad... :)

KagePrototype said:
I never really understood the whole notion that realism = better. Toy Story was a lot more fun to look at than, for example, The Village.

Let me put it like this: my lunch is working its way back outside the wrong way when I think of HL2 on the Crytek engine. I can already see Alyx, looking like some oversized GI Joe, shouting "I'm gonna shoot you in the FACE!". No engine besides Source could have done HL2. It would just be unnatural any other way.

PvtRyan said:
Let me put it like this: my lunch is working its way back outside the wrong way when I think of HL2 on the Crytek engine. I can already see Alyx, looking like some oversized GI Joe, shouting "I'm gonna shoot you in the FACE!". No engine besides Source could have done HL2. It would just be unnatural any other way.

Um, I'm not saying that. I think HL2 looks brilliant as well. I just think other games look better, and that HL2's gritty realism doesn't look as good. I never claimed that HL2 will look or be any better on the Crytek engine or anything...besides, I doubt Valve would let the voice acting stoop to Far Cry's standards. :)

source plays better than anything else out. Doom3 has potential, but as of yet its still to new. and there are no games using it yet.
farcry is to slow, and unreal is to oriented towards flying through the air.

Homer said:
source plays better than anything else out. Doom3 has potential, but as of yet its still to new. and there are no games using it yet.
farcry is to slow, and unreal is to oriented towards flying through the air.
You're right, but that's a completely different topic.

KagePrototype said:
Um, I'm not saying that. I think HL2 looks brilliant as well. I just think other games look better, and that HL2's gritty realism doesn't look as good. I never claimed that HL2 will look or be any better on the Crytek engine or anything...besides, I doubt Valve would let the voice acting stoop to Far Cry's standards. :)

Yeah but you said that you didn't understand why 'realism' (lets just call it realistic graphics) is better, and well, in this case of HL2, it IS better. That's why I gave the example of HL2 on Cryengine, which would blow. :)
Turned around, I couldn't really picture FC in HL2 style, would be more like some dark and scary island.

PvtRyan said:
Yeah but you said that you didn't understand why 'realism' (lets just call it realistic graphics) is better, and well, in this case of HL2, it IS better. That's why I gave the example of HL2 on Cryengine, which would blow. :)
Turned around, I couldn't really picture FC in HL2 style, would be more like some dark and scary island.

I see where you're coming from, but like I said to ElFuhrer, I was really just referring to the fanatic stance that realism is ALWAYS better, no matter what. :)

ElFuhrer said:
You're right, but that's a completely different topic.
My point is that it doesnt look so good if you quit the game and never play again after 10 minutes.

I think the water in the docks video looked pretty good...
Sorry that’s all I really have to say.

Ok look, we're going around in circles. Some people like HL2 better, some people like Far Cry better. It is *almost* complete opinion of the player. Most, prefer HL2's graphics to Far Cry, not because its a hl2 forum, because its just blatantly obvious. Far cry has its moments, but again, they are mostly faked. HL2, almost always (except on the beach...i hate the beaches), looks unbelievable. The tenements bink looks better graphically than any game I've seen so far in my life. So once again, thats my opinion. It's all in opinion. So instead of going in circles, just end it now, because noones changing anyones mind about how they feel about these two games graphics.

lets all just go in circles some more. I'm not doing anything better

Ok fine. :p

HL2's water kicks ass, if you don't like it, don't play the game, or cry about it. Omg the water moves.....cuz you know....thats so unrealistic....:rolleyes: So any other complaints that you far cry fanboys have that we can easily shoot down with facts you cant counter back with anything?

Ok Farcry looks a bit plastic, and when i looked at then screenshots of the glider well. Looking at its water it... it seemed like all the rippiles were exactly the same and well... need i say more?

HL2's ripplies all seem diffrent and natural. HL2 looks like its real and could grab u in it.

Also
GRAPHICS DONT MAKE THE GAME
Im serious, there have been plenty of threads saying that by us HL2 fans. And well either way, HL2's water looks great it dosn't look ugly and graphics don't make the game.

I mean seriously if graphics made the game then why is Starcraft a national sport in korea? One of the most played RTS's around. When its graphics are no where near any other RTS.

Gameplay is what counts.
When HL2 is released we shall decide what game is better by the gameplay.*cough*Half-life 2*cough*
awww i think i got a cold...

We already know how halflife2 plays, just load up source and you know theres no big problem with the movement in source. its smooth and fast.

I'm not a Far Cry fanboy. I like HL2's water, I just personally think Far Cry's water looks better, from an art direction standpoint. I honestly couldn't tell you which one is technically more advanced, but the direction they took with Far Cry's water looks better in my opinion. Then again, each different type of water suits the theme of the game better. FC water would looks weird in HL2, and vice versa.

Homer? Were u saying that to me?

Im just talking about how HL2 will feel. I mean Cs:S and HL2 have very diffrent gameplay styles.....

iamaelephant said:
I'm not a Far Cry fanboy. I like HL2's water, I just personally think Far Cry's water looks better, from an art direction standpoint. I honestly couldn't tell you which one is technically more advanced, but the direction they took with Far Cry's water looks better in my opinion. Then again, each different type of water suits the theme of the game better. FC water would looks weird in HL2, and vice versa.
I guess this would be a hard thing for you to elaborate on but could you say why you think the art direction for water is better in FarCry? What it looks like to me is that they tried to do realistic looking water but didn't quite make it; the thing that bugs me is that the waves aren't really in wave shape so much as roundish bumps (like you draw when you're a little kid because that's how you thought water acted).

Personally i like HL2's water better. Just looks more detailed and realistic. Far Cry's water was great, and suited it fine, but it got really annoying when they tried to use it in indoor levels and it looked kinda like you were looking through clear, fluid, jelly.

Sparta said:
Personally i like HL2's water better. Just looks more detailed and realistic. Far Cry's water was great, and suited it fine, but it got really annoying when they tried to use it in indoor levels and it looked kinda like you were looking through clear, fluid, jelly.

Yeah Far cry's water was very nice and suited the game.

Styloid said:
I guess this would be a hard thing for you to elaborate on but could you say why you think the art direction for water is better in FarCry? What it looks like to me is that they tried to do realistic looking water but didn't quite make it; the thing that bugs me is that the waves aren't really in wave shape so much as roundish bumps (like you draw when you're a little kid because that's how you thought water acted).

Probably the smooth, glassy look about it. It really accentuated the "paradise" feel of the game. Ya know that feeling you get when you go to a really nice beach and the water is beautifully still and clear. I think that's the sort of look Far Cry was going for, and they pulled it off perfectly.

iamanelephant is better than me at explaining why I think Far Cry's water was better. :)

iamaelephant said:
Probably the smooth, glassy look about it. It really accentuated the "paradise" feel of the game. Ya know that feeling you get when you go to a really nice beach and the water is beautifully still and clear. I think that's the sort of look Far Cry was going for, and they pulled it off perfectly.
Smooth and glassy. Can't argue with you there.

Art_Crime said:
Uh, guys, what are you talking about? The water just looks god dang ugly...

What are u joking me the water was so dope in the demo video I can't believe your saying that!

yeah i agree... in the docks video available here and at half-life2.com the water looks frickin' awesome i give it a :thumbs:

you no what if noticed is that the ocean water and the normal water look mutch diferant naby there are diferent types of water
textures and they just used an ugy texture

Back