Ugly water in HL2?

Half-life 2 water is realistic as it can be. In Farcry the water looks cartoonish.

i don't have DX8 or 9 so i can't see these things on any games anyway :(

But thursday i will and it shall be all hail me. On top of that that water looks great. And like every thread of this nature...STOP BITCHING ABOUT THE GRAPHICS.

the water in hl2 looks like real. even if its bad-looking. This is the reality.
Water sucks.

What do you mean bad looking? I have played *beta*(who hasn't?) and was surprised how beautiful it is. Best looking water ever

Some people are such nitpickers!! "OMFG That pixelz0r is out of place!!1! omgwtfbbq hl2 sux0rz!!!"
>_>

you can´t compare CS:S with HL2 in this case even though it´s the same engine.
And by the way, by telling this you obviously have been playing cracked maps which is a forbidden thing to do..

/D

Erm why does it ripple all the time...... maybe because water moves all the time. Water only seems "stand still" if there is no wind etc etc.

What i meant was the Cave scenes.. and the Physics 2003 demo.. (inside).. and yes, before he shoots down the barrels..
Ripple = drops or small objects falling into water.. The ripples are small.

Erk i got the meanings mixed up :O

They can't because of the shader they use.

I like Joint Operations water the best, the HL2 test water and textures for that matter are hmmmm :(

I just hope the textures look nicer in the finished game.

I love to flame HL2's graphics, but in the waters case, there aint nothing to ****ing flame. The water looks beautifully realisitc, far better than anything in any other game on the market.

ytinupmi said:
the water shader hasn't changed.
Wrong

If you play the "beta" and then watch the Video Stress Test, there is a MASSIVE difference

No there are different water "textures" the shader will interact with the "texture" creating different effects.

It was in that PDF a while back.

Art_Crime said:
Yea, if you look at it from the videos it is, but I just hope it wasn't downgraded because of framrates or something...

What is your graphics card?

I will probably have HL water instead of HL2 water if I don't upgrade from a GeForce4

Art_Crime said:
When I loaded up the latest custom map...
In other words, it's not an official map, it's a hack by a third party. Thus, it is not indicitive of the Source engine's true quality.

Best Water Ever Is In Farcry.

But with pixel shaders water is easy to create. The hard part is making the game look like it isnt made out of plastic/wax, which is something HL2 does EXTREMELY well.

The water is ugly because you're using a shitty map creator and not to mention that making custom maps for CS: S is illegal you ****ing prick.

IP Logged and reported to steam.
Banned steam account. k,thx.

prick.

ravennox12 said:
The water is ugly because you're using a shitty map creator and not to mention that making custom maps for CS: S is illegal you ****ing prick.

IP Logged and reported to steam.
Banned steam account. k,thx.

prick.
Wow, we have a winner.

You're banned for 10 days, chill out a little bit, grow up, and we'll see you soon.

Let this be a lesson to anyone else that thinks it's cool to hurl abuse at other people.

frances_farmer said:
isnt your sig like way too long?
Yes it is - 4 lines please Annihilator_91. Even moderators have to stick to that rule.

The order of games with the best water:

1: Half-Life 2
2: Morrowind (especially how the water bumpmap deforms when you walk in the water!)

3: Far Cry
4: Joint Ops

aeroripper said:
I find it amusing how the people who downloaded material used from a VERY unfinished stolen build of the game, make assumptions that that is what will be in the final product. Yet you would figure that these people who see these things would realize that it is in fact, a crappy map made by a unfinished game and editor, and a bad mapper... but yet the assumption is made that the water looks ugly in hl2? Denying all reason from videos and screenshots of the actual water in the game. Are people really that ignorant and thoughtless? And then we all get to bask in the glory of it all but a brand new thread started about it.

...it never ceases to amaze me it really doesn't

You best sum it up in your wonderfully contributing posts:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36654
I also find it very amusing that people assume Half Life 2 only has 1 water shader for all types of environments. Truth be told they used one of the worst water shaders for that environment, some look spiffing, even in the alpha.

Sparta said:
Wrong

If you play the "beta" and then watch the Video Stress Test, there is a MASSIVE difference

obviously i can't prove this without breaking the rules but the water looks exactly the same, (obviously if you played a "beta" map created by some moron who doesn't know how to map then he probably forgot an entity which makes the water look good), in that case, then sure. but otherwise, the water looks exactly the same.

Why is everyone slamming Farcry's graphics? The water effects are top notch.

Attachments

• FarCry0010.jpg
    FarCry0010.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 366
  • FarCry0002.jpg
    FarCry0002.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 347
Dirk Pitt you chose a terrible screenshot for the water there :p Far Cry's water looks bloody awesome though.

They are different styles tough, HL2's water does/will look far moe superior to anything seen.

Taking into account the natural light refractions and reflections that source does so well.

When I saw the beauty of the water in half-life 2 I thought:Wow! This water is greater than the real water!

This have absolutely nothing to do with the editor. It needs an entity to look great : ) (water_lod_control, or something).

(This is information from *************'s forums...)

Edit: That adress wasn't allowed here ; ).

I just updated today and i finally have a machine that makes stuff look like that, very exciting!

qckbeam said:
you're playing maps created with tools that came along with the leak. These tools are a year old, were never meant for public use, and are only capable of creating very primitive, very ugly, maps, which would explain why you think Half-Life 2 has ugly water.

do some research next time :rolleyes:

the tools are perfectly capable of making valve quality maps.

What level is that Bio? I don't think I'm up to there yet, I'm on Boat trying to kill that Crow guy, who is rapidly diminishing my love for the game.

just dont buy the game if the water doesnt please you. noone forces you to buy the game. ffs. :E ?

Edit: WTF? Why does the ': E' smiley become :E ?? : D = : E ? ROLFORLFORFLR LOLOLO

i dont understarand ita. arrrf, i bietter go to beed noew.

I don't think he has ever seen the HL2 water, he has seen CS:Source custom maps water....which is..really bad.

Back