UK drivers ... Reccommend me some good car insurers!!

lePobz

Tank
Reaction score
I've been with Tesco car insurance for a couple of years, but now they're taking the piss quoting me 800+ GBP at renewal considering thats only fractionally less than I am paying now ... The premium i'm paying now doesnt take into account my 2 years no claims or the fact im over 25 now ... the renewal quote should, but it just doesnt reflect that at all.

So does anyone know who can give me a good quote?

Ring round. No one company is necessarily going to give you a good quote, and they'll always give you better quotes if you phone up and say X company quoted me Y.

I got my quote down from ?1600 to ?400 this way.

Im with an Irish based company...forget what they are called though :O

Q something i think

I'm not using gocompare, confused.com or any of those robbin' bastards. They send your email out to a few million spammers, and take your money before they show you any quotes.

I'm not using gocompare, confused.com or any of those robbin' bastards. They send your email out to a few million spammers, and take your money before they show you any quotes.

So I guess you don't want Money Supermarket, either?

In which case, I'm obselete.

Just cancelled my renewal with Tescos since they couldnt reduce it enough, already got a quote from the AA for 690 GBP. Already 110 GBP cheaper.

The guy at tesco told me he was only allowed to haggle up to 10% less, which was still higher than that quote. I'm sure 690 GBP is still pretty high though.

Try Swinton. They've been my insurer for the past year. Pretty reasonable.

Cheers cormeh, just tried Swinton ... they came pretty close, but a few quid over theAAs quote with a bit more excess to pay. I'm starting to think 690 is the best i'm going to get though.

Still open to suggestions ppl!

As I said, ring round. Find a directory of car insurers and call all of them, getting them to undercut each other.
There's no other way.

They just quoted me over 1,000 GBP

:S

And Repiv - Nobody is willing to price-match TheAA ... I guess its because they can't beat the online discount combined with the discount given for membership to AA breakdown ... That probably means it's the cheapest I'm going to get...

So unless someone has a miracle insurer that doesn't like joining in the car-owner gangrape, it's thread over!

Cheers guys

It's a long shot, but if you're not looking urgently, try calling again on the last day of the month, in the afternoon. They have targets to meet and they'll jump at any opportunity that comes their way.

Maybe the car insurance industry is different, but in bike insurance the first quote they give you is usually at least double the price of what they're willing to go down to, and the renewal price you get offered automatically is always far higher than the price you can get. Strange.

I got about 900 with Quinn for my 1995 106 1.1 litre. I am 19 and have done Pass+

Shocked you got so much!

I've been with Tesco car insurance for a couple of years, but now they're taking the piss quoting me 800+ GBP at renewal considering thats only fractionally less than I am paying now ... The premium i'm paying now doesnt take into account my 2 years no claims or the fact im over 25 now ... the renewal quote should, but it just doesnt reflect that at all.

So does anyone know who can give me a good quote?
Their doing what most insurers typically do for customers who have been with them for a few years by bumping the insurance they charge year upon year in the hope that the customer will take the bait. My sister used to work in insurance and knows all the tricks of the trade and she once told me to get a cheaper quote elsewhere and tell my then car insurance company how much lower it was and they will almost certainly try to match or beat it. And of course she was right...

EDIT: just read that you said tesco wouldn't haggle... :(

They were willing to haggle, but could only haggle 10% which wouldnt put it lower than my lowest quote ... nowhere near, actually!

I kinda figured they would try charging me a bit more than it should be, to sneak it past me. 800+ seemed a bit steep considering all the factors. Getting a great deal with theAA - Discounted because i'm already a breakdown member, and combined with 12 or 14 percent online discount ... 690 for fully comprehensive cover, with no voluntary excess and only 100 compulsory excess for everything (windscreen replacement only 60 excess).

Thanks for the info anyway [Matt], confirmed a theory :thumbs:

sheilas.jpg

"For ladies who insure their cars
Sheilas' Wheels are superstars
Girls are bored beyond endurance
Payin' too much for car insurance
For bonzer car insurance deals
Girls, get on to Sheilas' Wheels
The women at the wheel
Deserve a fairer deal
Girls get on to Sheilas' Wheels
Women make the safest drivers
We could save a bunch of fivers
Girls, get on to Sheilas' Wheels,
Girls, get on to Sheilas' Wheels"

I agree with the general consensus.

Close the door on your way out, Phobie.

Urgh, those ladies in that car should be shot. And so should that annoying jingle >,<

Are you asking for too many optional extras with your insurance?

Direct Line seems quite cheap to me. You could try ASDA insurance or EasyMoney insurance.

If you live in a dodgy area of town, your insurance may be significantly higher. It depends on each case, there's no best insurance company as they all factor things differently.

Ah full cover, that is the problem, I only have 3rd Party :D

You've done me a good turn starting this thread, Pobz - my renewal for February has come through and thanks to this thread I may get a cheaper price!

GG all.

EDIT: 'Cept Phobie. Sheila's bloody Wheels.

Wouldn't apply, anyway, unless you're a woman.

Or My Blobby.

Back