UK XBox 360 Shortages on release day

Griz

Reaction score
So apparently, M$ reckon there's gonna be a shortage of 360's in the UK on release day (2nd Dec 05). Companies like Gameplay and Amazon.co.uk are stating that they might not be able to fulfill pre-orders on release day (i've even heard that this may last until after Xmas)

So have you pre-ordered and if so where from?

btw I haven't pre-ordered but kinda wish i had now :(

This reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry makes a reservation with a car rental company and the car he reserved isn't there when he arrives.

pff, all these people buying XBox 360's on release day...

thank you for preordering your Xbox 360, this site will now self destruct.

OCybrManO said:
This reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry makes a reservation with a car rental company and the car he reserved isn't there when he arrives.

Hahaha! That was so funny! Great episode--"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

So...isn't this going on in the US too supposedly? Sounds like Sony with the PS2 back in the day. Just trying to create demand and make it seem like you are moving more units than they really are. Not surprising really. Like M$ couldn't afford to pay the sweating Chinese children building them to pick up the pace!

Pre-ordered with GAME before they stopped guaranteeing a launch day console, so I'm all set :D

OCybrManO said:

lol i just felt like saying this THE SUMMER OF GEORGE

Hmmm, I find it hard to believe your word. You don't back yourself up with ny sources. Did your friend tell you this or something?

My friend made a LOT of money by buying four PS2's on release day and selling three of them because of the shortages.
He got over a grand for each

what what what... that is disgraceful :O, who the fek would pay that much for a PS2, even at the time.

IchI said:
Hmmm, I find it hard to believe your word. You don't back yourself up with ny sources. Did your friend tell you this or something?

Aside from the two links to Amazon and Gameplay which both state that they can't guarantee preorders on release day, see also these other links......

Here

Here and Here

and

Here

Seemingly M$ expect to have only ~1.6 million units available for sale this year. One million for buyers in the US, 400,000 for Europe and just 200,000 for Japan.

ATTN: Using M$ does not make you cool and/or edgy.

if they 'only' have 1.6 million units, how are they able to charge $200 less than Ps3, are they just being friendly to the customer's? because that's probably why demand is so high.. lol, but seriously.. who the hell is gonna pay $500 for Ps3, Sony are having a laugh.

well, i won't be seeing it until march next year, so i'm sure they'll be more then enough ready than.

clarky003 said:
if they 'only' have 1.6 million units, how are they able to charge $200 less than Ps3, are they just being friendly to the customer's? because that's probably why demand is so high.. lol, but seriously.. who the hell is gonna pay $500 for Ps3, Sony are having a laugh.
I am having a laugh at your post! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Show me a source that specifically states that the official launch price point of the PS3 is $500. Thanks!

Stop believing the "industry analysts." Its their job to speculate, throwing around phrases and figures meant to attract attention. I can't imagine the price being set before February's PS3 event anyway, so posts like this should probably wait before repeating such hearsay and rumor from the "experts."

IonizeMyAtoms said:
My friend made a LOT of money by buying four PS2's on release day and selling three of them because of the shortages.
He got over a grand for each

That's what my uncle did, he lives in Boston too, but he was on vacation in Florida, and found a gamestop with three of them, he bought them, sent one to me, kept one for himself, and sold the other on Ebay, which went for more than the cost of all three! :D

VictimOfScience said:

Show me a source that specifically states that the official launch price point of the PS3 is $500. Thanks!

Stop believing the "industry analysts." Its their job to speculate, throwing around phrases and figures meant to attract attention. I can't imagine the price being set before February's PS3 event anyway, so posts like this should probably wait before repeating such hearsay and rumor from the "experts."

lol, well till then id rather trust the expert's than a Victimofscience's optimistic lookout at a much cheaper Ps3 price tag, and I have to appologise, its actually looking like $399

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2005/6/30/605

barebones Xbox 360 is confirmed at $299

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2005/8/17/990

Even though Ps3 price may be subject to slight change I agree with the anylist's, its not going to waver much if any atall.

or they could be playing market games.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/24/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

either way, just wait for the console prices to come down before you buy them.

VictimOfScience said:

Uh, you think it's going to be closer to the Xbox360 price when it's got a Blu-Ray drive? Think again.

clarky003 said:
either way, just wait for the console prices to come down before you buy them.
Exactly. Buying any system right off the bat is silly. Prices come down and kinks get worked out.
Axyon said:
Uh, you think it's going to be closer to the Xbox360 price when it's got a Blu-Ray drive? Think again.
Never said that--it could indeed be more! The point is that its just speculation and the market games that everyone plays when releasing new products like this. Smart move for Sony to wait as long as they can before announcing the price anyway--wait to see how MS does at their price points and how far ahead in sales they get, wait to see the hype leading up to the PS3 launch and try to get as much as they can from their customers or, if MS has sold their "predicted" 10 or 12 million units, sell the PS3 at a lower price point for more of a loss to make up market share.

I bought my PS2 mainly for the DVD functionality anyway--the games came later :). Might be the other way around this time, but I am more than fine with that. Blu-Ray right out of the box is quite a point of difference after all, especially if there is a format war :)().

No, what he means is that bluray is an extremly expensive piece of technology.

How much was a DVD player when they first came out? Up in the £200 range(IIRC more). And the PS3 is going to be the first consumer device to use a bluray drive.

^Ben said:
No, what he means is that bluray is an extremly expensive piece of technology.
No kidding? Thanks for the tip! (/sarcasm) Of course its expensive! The point is no one is sure how much Sony will sell a console equipped with such a device for! It could very well be less than we expect because MS has sold through a ton of units before the PS3 hits the market. Who knows? No one right now--that's all.

^Ben said:
How much was a DVD player when they first came out? Up in the £200 range(IIRC more). And the PS3 is going to be the first consumer device to use a bluray drive.
Exactly--that's why I bought a console that not only played next gen games but also the new media flooding the market back in 2000. A great deal if you ask me since DVD players were still fairly expensive when the PS2 launched.

good!!
infact, i hope (its probably not gonna happen :( ) all 360's have major glitch problems and they don't work :p

wow, not all that surprising, but let's hope it only affects the UK and only minorly, sorry m8s but gotta look out for my US xbox :cheers:

Dr. Freeman said:
good!!
infact, i hope (its probably not gonna happen :( ) all 360's have major glitch problems and they don't work :p
If any system is released with glitches, It will be sony's. I dunno about the PS1, but when the PS2 was released it was horrible. If you tried to play DVD's on it, it would skip and freeze. And the disc reader was bad- it was slow and if you if got one tiny scratch on your game it couldn't play it. And the barebones system was still $400.

Assuming that sony doesn't learn from their mistakes. ("hey look ps2 will have the amazing 'emotion engine'! ....oops sorry we lied.... *sony fans revolt* "hey look ps3 will have the amazing whatever engine!") The ps3 could be even worse. Considering that (supposedly) both Microsoft and Nintendo will release their consoles a year earilier than Sony, they ps3 might end up being rushed. :(

Back