Unofficial Surprise Speculation Thread

Risiko

Reaction score
Here is a list of potential candidates for the surprise that will come along with the SDK in less than a week:

1. Half-Life 2 Deathmatch - this is certainly possible in my opinion. There has been a lot of pressure from reviewers and fans since the game's release. Gabe Newell, too, has been quoted many times in the past as saying that there was a working HL2 deathmatch, and it likely may have been planned. Further, most of the netcode and backbone is already there (as evidenced in the fact that many are now playing DM unofficially). I wouldn't be too surprised if this was it.

2. Steam Update - this is somewhat likely. It could be a simple update to expand Steam funcionality and user personalization (allowing the user to delete games from the games list, for example, or to create different groups). More exciting is the possibility that it could be an update to allow direct mod downloads from Steam itself - this would be a spectacular feature. It would greatly streamline mod download installation, and what's more, would make mod patches and updates an absolute breeze (automatic patch downloads!).

3. VAC 2/Anti-Cheat Update - this is somewhat possible as well. VAC 2 has been in the works for a while now.

4. DOD: Source/TF2 - both of these are highly unlikely. We haven't even seen more than one screenshot of DOD: Source yet, and from what we know, a lot of work still has to be done to update it. TF2 would be an amazing surprise, but this seems impossible. We haven't had any real update on the game, and it isn't reasonable to think that Valve has been struggling with the work on TF2 while at the same time grueling away at finishing HL2.

5. Counter-Strike: Source Update - this certainly makes sense. It was announced that we would recieve a hefty update for CS:S in December. Apparently we are probably going to get a new model (or more) and perhaps a new skin or more. Also, at least two new maps are planned, and we could also see some other interesting updates. Although this update certainly will happen, the question is whether this is indeed the surprise.

---

There are of course of few other interesting possibilities to note. It could be an announcement for an expansion pack or a sequel to HL2. It could be an announcement for a totally new game using the source engine. It could also be something that we can't even fathom. Still, these are unlikely. Would Valve announce a sequel or expansion pack a week after HL2's release? As well, the news update at steampowed.com says they will be releasing the surprise along with the SDK, so it must be something tangible.

I have a hunch that we'll get a Steam update that'll give us direct-download mod support - and I wouldn't be dissapointed. I think that this a great feature that has been long overdue and would do wonders for Source as a modding engine. That said, it could very well be HL2 Deathmatch - it wouldn't take much to code.

Thoughts?

Getting a anti-cheat utility would be look running dowstairs on christmas to find Santa has brought you a set of shelves.

Its gotta be somethin to do with HL2, steam updates or HL2 updates arnt a big surprise really so it should be a deathmatch or somethin like that!

Kristafon said:
Getting a anti-cheat utility would be look running dowstairs on christmas to find Santa has brought you a set of shelves.

And getting a steam update to let us delete games and group them would be like running downstairs on christmas to find that Santa has brought you a taller set of shelves with a couple of drawers built in. :monkee:

I'm hoping it's HL2 Deathmatch. That's all I'll need and I'll be a happy camper. I know a few different mod groups are working on deathmatch mods, but I want an official one. It's just not the same when it's made by a group of random modders.

Soundwave said:
I'm hoping it's HL2 Deathmatch. That's all I'll need and I'll be a happy camper. I know a few different mod groups are working on deathmatch mods, but I want an official one. It's just not the same when it's made by a group of random modders.
Agreed. As much as I appreciate their efforts, a user made Deathmatch is no substitute for the real thing: Not least because it'll need to be released with interesting and memorable maps almost immediatly. I'd like this over any other "Surprise" tbh... CS just isn't my kind of thing (Or rather it was several decades ago). HL2 may be Single-Player game of the year IMO, but I'd far rather be playing UT2004 in Multiplayer...

The exact wording however was "Something for the community". I'm not sure that HL2DM would fit that brief... I think it'll be the rather more mundane (But probably far more important) Steam or Anti-Cheat upgrade. BTW, I don't think people necessarily speculate that they'll get and be able to play TF2, just that Valve will announce it (I reckon we'll see it at E32k5 though...)

Back