US governor quits over gay affair

I agree that in some communities gay men would need to hide thier homosexuality, all I'm saying is that by doing so evetually someone is going to be hurt. Better to admit to your true sexuality and deal with the possible effects it has on your life than to hide it and hurt other people as well in the long run.

The issue isn't his gayness at all. It's that he cheated on his wife.

I still think the fundraising issue also had a tiny bit to play with this, but majorly this.

So... ...yea.

Only two words register with people in this discussion (Cheat,Gay).

Me, particularly, could careless about either--but to clarify I would'nt mind having my question below awnsered with legitimate information. :D

Who'd he cheat on her with? Name...place...reason...?

So far, people have only suggested that suddenly because he's gay, he just "randomly" cheated on her. If their is no physical entity to cheat with, I'd say he was'nt cheating at all.

The issue isnt that he cheated on his wife, its that he appointed his lover to be over Homeland Security in his city, giving him a $100,000+ a year job for which he had no experience and could not even get federal security clearance. So much for keeping the country safe but I am sure some of you are don't care if an unqualified man is protecting the homeland as long as he is gay.

He is also being investigated for trying to obtain public tax money to pay off his lover so he wouldn't go public over the affair. But, nevermind brides, he is gay its just a witchhunt! rotfl

This guy didn't go public because he is coming out of the closet to champion being "who he is" he came out because his lover was about to go public with it because he wasn't getting his bride money.

And Kerberos be sure to tell your spouse cheating is no big deal to you on your honeymoon.

that's between two consenting adults ..it's none of your business what they do

if he has shady deals that's another matter, but the bedroom is off limits

CptStern said:
that's between two consenting adults ..it's none of your business what they do

if he has shady deals that's another matter, but the bedroom is off limits

Actually if people don't want a governing official to cheat on his/her spouse then people can vote them out if they want. I know it breaks you heart that if the Mayor of a city is having an orgy with goats in a hotel that people might not want that person serving the public, but hey people are free to make that choice. I know you wished we lived in a world where people couldn't demand what they wanted from governing officials but thats just the world we live in.

the mayor of our city (toronto ..pop 3.5 million) did come out and admit he had a long time affair on his wife and had 2 grown children as a result ..he even had a press conference to tell everyone ...nobody cared and it was swept under the table

the goats scenario is a bit far fetched

alehm said:
The issue isnt that he cheated on his wife, its that he appointed his lover to be over Homeland Security in his city, giving him a $100,000+ a year job for which he had no experience and could not even get federal security clearance. So much for keeping the country safe but I am sure some of you are don't care if an unqualified man is protecting the homeland as long as he is gay.

He is also being investigated for trying to obtain public tax money to pay off his lover so he wouldn't go public over the affair. But, nevermind brides, he is gay its just a witchhunt! rotfl

This guy didn't go public because he is coming out of the closet to champion being "who he is" he came out because his lover was about to go public with it because he wasn't getting his bride money.

And Kerberos be sure to tell your spouse cheating is no big deal to you on your honeymoon.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/13/fri/index.html

It's unclear this morning what today holds for McGreevey, 47, who aides say will spend the weekend with wife Dina and will return to Trenton on Monday. Sources say McGreevey faces the "threat" of a sexual harassment lawsuit from former aide Golan Cipel, reportedly the man with whom he "shamefully" acknowledged having an affair that has left him vulnerable to "false allegations and threats of disclosure."

The sources also say Cipel, 35, might drop his plans to proceed with legal action following McGreevey's stunner yesterday afternoon. A federal law enforcement official told the Associated Press that McGreevey's office had called the FBI in New Jersey yesterday and complained that Cipel had requested $5 million to quash the suit, which assistants to the governor saw as extortion.

Says nothing about Cipel being appointed to "homeland security", where did you get that from?

From the article:

Cipel started working for the state Democratic party during McGreevey's campaign for governor as a liaison to the state's large number of Jewish voters.

Thats not exactly homeland security...

On-Topic:
According to the media, he was afraid of being blackmailed. So instead of letting his position cause trouble with the potential blackmail, he simply stepped down. They didn't go into specifics though.

Off-Topic:
I'm a writer for my college newspaper. It's a conservative Christian school (which is sad for me, it's the closest university to me and I can't afford to move away. I'm a pagan btw, really tough there) and there are only a few homosexuals. I wrote an article about how hard it was for them, how people they thought were their friends shunned them, and one had a lot of trouble with her parents. So yeah, regardless of the motivational factor, what he did took a lot of guts.

(P.S. Despite what KidRock thinks, Innervision961, I think Aquateen Hunger Force is a very good, well thought-out show :) Shake is pretty damn hilarious. Good choice for avatar! Anyone who thinks it's a cartoon for children has obviously never seen it.)

CptStern said:
the mayor of our city (toronto ..pop 3.5 million) did come out and admit he had a long time affair on his wife and had 2 grown children as a result ..he even had a press conference to tell everyone ...nobody cared and it was swept under the table

So... you're saying since the people of Toronto responded in this way then the rest of the world must be assimilated and have no choice but to act as they did?

I can't see what your point would be other than what my point was, which was people can do what they want.

alehm said:
So... you're saying since the people of Toronto responded in this way then the rest of the world must be assimilated and have no choice but to act as they did?

I can't see what your point would be other than what my point was, which was people can do what they want.

nope ..my point is that it's really not that big of a deal anywhere else in the world. Only in the US is this a big deal ..really ...my Spaniard cousins were laughing at you americans for making such a big deal out of clinton ...so were we canadians

I personally believe a husband is accountable to one person: his wife ...everyone else shouldnt get involved

Well to tell you the truth Stern, no one really cared about clintons affair, at least no one i've ever talked to. The point of that whole thing was the republican harrassing people on the news in magazines and radio day in and day out about how clinton has no character, how he is a disgrace etc. etc. Eventually morphing clinton and gore into the same person (saddam and bin laden?) and telling you that neither one had a shred of credibility, so you would vote republican. And if anyone disagrees with that, I want you to tell me right here and right now, WHY was the clinton affair turned into such a big deal, and don't spew off with "because he lied about it under oath" WHY the hell was it anyones buisness to ask him about his personal life (which has no bearing to his job) under oath...why.

its that he appointed his lover to be over Homeland Security in his city, giving him a $100,000+ a year job for which he had no experience and could not even get federal security clearance. So much for keeping the country safe but I am sure some of you are don't care if an unqualified man is protecting the homeland as long as he is gay.

Okay, so you say its not the point that he's gay, but then you make the point of;

So much for keeping the country safe but I am sure some of you are don't care if an unqualified man is protecting the homeland as long as he is gay.

Some of you are?

I prefer qualified personel for the work of my country much rather than those who are not qualified. For a note, why is it you corellate his lovers irresponsibilities are discerning to us only because he is gay?

Says nothing about Cipel being appointed to "homeland security", where did you get that from?

From the article:

Cipel started working for the state Democratic party during McGreevey's campaign for governor as a liaison to the state's large number of Jewish voters.

Thats not exactly homeland security...

Do you remember the poster who said this? Check back a page, you'll find that some of the information you already provided was incorrect.

How does anyone respond to this? I get what your saying for trying to obtain public tax money to pay off his lover--but what of his lover's irresponsibilities also?

champion being "who he is" he came out because his lover was about to go public with it because he wasn't getting his bride money.

Okay, I just got into this discussion; and I seriously do not see where I corellated him being a champion to any measure.

However, his biggest risk to his future credability (if any) were his irresponsibilities; he's obviously failed twice in the commitment area, and now has skewered his career.

Guilt Factor -0

Innervision961 said:
Well to tell you the truth Stern, no one really cared about clintons affair, at least no one i've ever talked to. The point of that whole thing was the republican harrassing people on the news in magazines and radio day in and day out about how clinton has no character, how he is a disgrace etc. etc. Eventually morphing clinton and gore into the same person (saddam and bin laden?) and telling you that neither one had a shred of credibility, so you would vote republican. And if anyone disagrees with that, I want you to tell me right here and right now, WHY was the clinton affair turned into such a big deal, and don't spew off with "because he lied about it under oath" WHY the hell was it anyones buisness to ask him about his personal life (which has no bearing to his job) under oath...why.

I agree, it wasnt a big deal ...it just got blown out of porportion

kerberos, can you point me to where my info was incorrect please (really i skimmed back through the pages but couldn't find it)

Oh, I was'nt commenting on you innervision961, I was addressing that main guy I was quoting. Alhem, or Aehlm, forget his name already... :D

But anyway, I was telling him to look at your comment, not saying it was incorrect. :D My whole post was addressing him--and pointing to where he should look.

Meh, my edits dissappeared after awhile--sorry innversion, I cant correct my logic in the post you addressed. :(

K e r b e r o s said:
Oh, I was'nt commenting on you innervision961, I was addressing that main guy I was quoting. Alhem, or Aehlm, forget his name already... :D

But anyway, I was telling him to look at your comment, not saying it was incorrect. :D My whole post was addressing him--and pointing to where he should look.

Meh, my edits dissappeared after awhile--sorry innversion, I cant correct my logic in the post you addressed. :(

lol ok I got ya', I really did go back through every page looking though :eek:
Ah well, maybe I should have paid more attention :cheers:

This whole political discussion is letting the angry leftist out of me, so before I crack some skulls im going to another thread. I'm not even going to elaborate from there, because I want to keep those views to myself and not tarnish my personal record here.

RakuraiTenjin said:
People are starting to hail him and stuff for it, it confuses me. And what I'm saying has nothing to do with the gay issue, it's that he cheated on his wife. He cheated and now he's being hailed. It makes no sense!

If it had been a woman, would he be supported at all do you think? Some stuff to ponder on. I just hate people who cheat :p

Might I remind you of Mr. Bill Clinton.

ShadowFox said:
No, I've seen it. He generalizes and makes rediculous assumptions to support his anti-America rhetoric.

He's not anti-american, he's anti-Bush. Get with the program. Americans spend too much time with their head up the president's ass to realize the difference.

falconwind said:
He's not anti-american, he's anti-Bush. Get with the program. Americans spend too much time with their head up the president's ass to realize the difference.
Way to not read the rest of the topic.

falconwind said:
Might I remind you of Mr. Bill Clinton.
Uh, yes? Bill Clinton was criticized for it rightly so. Then he even lied about it under oath, and was impeached.

But this guy is getting hailed for it. It makes no sense. He cheated and such, then made his wife come with him to do a "stand by your man" thing at a conference, when it must be TEARING HER TO PIECES on the inside. And he's getting hailed as strong and valient in the media.

Why was he even asked under oath whether or not he had an affair? Whos buisness is it? I'm not saying I am a clinton fan or anything, but come on, that was just the stupidest thing ever... (the scandal)
And i must add that its perfectly fine when WMD, turns into WMD facilities, that turn into WMD related activities.... :LOL:

Innervision961 said:
Why was he even asked under oath whether or not he had an affair? Whos buisness is it? I'm not saying I am a clinton fan or anything, but come on, that was just the stupidest thing ever... (the scandal)
I was just saying he wasn't praised at all for his affair. Unlike this guy.

Well true, it is pretty rediculous how this guy is getting off so easily, and then being praised for it... I guess the media is trying to get the viewership of the gay community :)

it would be ok, but he has a wife :-/
i was against him resigning but i didnt know he had a wife, so i guess it's a sensible decision

CptStern said:
anyways :upstare: ...what does having an affair have to do with his job performance?

I dont know, if he cant be loyal to his wife how can he be loyal to any one else.

Yeah, once someone in office is known to have an affair it throws out all credibility as to his character. People become afraid to trust them.

Direwolf said:
Yeah, once someone in office is known to have an affair it throws out all credibility as to his character. People become afraid to trust them.

I think the biggest problem was how he handled it. What does "is" mean. I guess he thought we were stupid enough to get confused.

Back