Useless Facts Thread

LOL

I bet you guys didn't know you can buy condoms at any age. There is now law restricting the seller nor is it against the law for under 16s to buy condoms.
The youngest age that a child can drink alcohol in a pub restaurant or beer garden is 5 years old, as long as an adult buys the drink.

If you stand on top of a mountain in a thunderstorm, wearing copper armour and shouting "GOD IS A BASTARD", you won't ever, ever get struck by lightning.

If you stand on top of a mountain in a thunderstorm, wearing copper armour and shouting "GOD IS A BASTARD", you won't ever, ever get struck by lightning.

*tries it*

Holy shit you're right!

@Taxman: 6,000,000,000 (billion) humans X 200,000,000 (Million) = your insect number

I got 1,200,000,000,000,000,000.. I don't know what number that is..

I wouldn't doubt it though, those insects can have HUGE numbers underground. Plus all the flies and shit up top..

EDIT: It's quintillion, number of numbers AFTER the "1" is eighteen, making it quintillion.. Never heard of it..

possibly, if you add arachnid species as well to this number:
Estimates of the total number of current species, including those not yet known to science, range from two million to fifty million, with newer studies favouring a lower figure of about six to ten million

reading the above factoid causes most people to attempt to lick their own elbows.

The word "factoid" doesn't actually mean "a little fact" or "little known fact" or "small bit of information".

Wikipedia said:
Factoid can refer to a spurious (unverified, incorrect, or invented) "fact" intended to create or prolong public exposure or to manipulate public opinion. It appears in the Oxford English Dictionary[1] as "something which becomes accepted as fact, although it may not be true", namely a speculation or an assumption. The term was coined by Norman Mailer in his 1973 biography of Marilyn Monroe.[2] Mailer described a factoid as "facts which have no existence before appearing in a magazine or newspaper", and created the word by combining the word "fact" and the ending "-oid" to mean "like a fact".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid

elephants are the only mammals that can't jump, not sure that one's true though

They can jump, they just have no reason to try. If you have knees, you can jump.
Whales and other sea mammals cannot jump. They have no knees.

Umm... Dolphins can?

Can't they?

EDIT: Definition of Jump:
To spring clear of the ground or other support by a sudden muscular effort; leap: to jump into the air; to jump out a window.

Dolphins can jump!

First time I've ever actually proven someone wrong on HL2.net! Yes!

Umm... Dolphins can?
Can't they?
EDIT: Definition of Jump:
To spring clear of the ground or other support by a sudden muscular effort; leap: to jump into the air; to jump out a window.
Dolphins can jump!
First time I've ever actually proven someone wrong on HL2.net! Yes!

That's kind of interpretive. Dolphins don't use "sudden muscular efforts", they use speed and momentum and kind of just "emerge" somewhat violently. But whatever. Whales even have knees, they just can't use them. ;)

I saw a Dolphin standing on it's tail, and while it was on it's tail, then it jumped OUT of the water, not as high as if it had momentum, like you said, but it still jumped..

On topic..

If you read this you are gay.

Everyone who reads this for the first time ALWAYS reads it to the end.

Dolphins do not "stand" on their tails. If it did, then it was already out of the water at least partially, in which case it would merely fall in such a way to appear to have lifted itself. Refer back to your definition and investigate the meaning of the second word, the first verb, "spring". Spring action only works through compression and compression does not work on or in water because it is not stable.

Ok, they jump, I'm right, you are wrong. Leave me alone!

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were actually common names in 16th century Denmark.

I know of this goth type kid, really skinny/pale, and he can do it. Although he is the ONLY person I've ever met who can do it. It's pretty funny hanging out with him, because people who just heard about it (we only found it out not too long ago) will go up to him, ask if he can lick his elbow, and it freaks them out. Why? I do not know. I think it's a pretty cool talent.

I can lick my elbow...want pics when I get internets? :p

Back