Valandil : Recruiting!

Bill

Reaction score

Valandil is looking for a few dedicated developers to fill our ranks, the positions that we have available are listed below. Some more detailed information on the project is also available.

Project Overview:
Valandil is a medieval themed modification set within a fictional world. With a variety of gameplay styles and an intuitive combat system unlike anything you've seen before, we are really trying to push the genre in new directions. The project was started a little over 18 months ago, but was canceled at the end of last year when an independent developer contacted us. That didn't work out as we had hoped, so we're back for 2006 with a new team, a more professional attitude and a fresh outlook.

Currently we're keeping a lot of our work under wraps. With a highly talented team of dedicated developers, we'd prefer to reveal our game with a big bang than to spill the beans early.

Available Positions:
Examples of work must be given when applying for any of the positions listed below. All team members must be able to meet deadlines, provide regular updates on their progress and work with a mature and enthusiastic attitude.

Texture Artist & Model Skinner
Must have experience with an industry standard art package (Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc)

Key skills should include (Texture Artist):
  • Creation of both interior and exterior texture sets
  • Creation of normal, specular and height maps
  • Ability to compile and fully implement Source materials
  • Ability to work to a level designer's specifications
  • Level design experience is also a plus

Key skills should include (Model Skinner):
  • Creation of realistic and believable textures for medieval themed models
  • Ability to create UVMaps from finished models
  • -Modeling experience is a plus
    [*]ZBrush 2 experience is a plus
    [*]Ability to create normal, specular and height maps is a plus
Level Designers
Must have experience with the Valve Hammer Editor.

Key skills should include:
  • Creation of detailed interior and exterior environments
  • Clear understanding of:
  • Lighting techniques
  • Level optimization (VIS blocking etc)
  • Use of detailed brushwork
  • Base entities
  • 3D skyboxes
    [*]A passion for fantasy & medieval environments is a big plus
    [*]Modeling experience is big plus (creation of props)
    [*]Creation of textures is a big plus

Model Animator
Must have experience with an industry standard modeling and animation package (preferably 3Ds MaX/CS)

• Key skills should include:
  • Understanding of the movements applied in melee combat
  • Able to animate natural and realistic movement
  • Knowledge of how Source works with animations
  • A complete Motion Capture set would be a nice plus! :wink:

Prop Modelers
Must have experience with a high end modeling package

• Ability to create believable and realistic medieval themed objects
  • Able to work to a level designer's specifications
  • Creation of UVMaps from finished models
  • Model texturing/skinning experience is a big plus
    [*]Level design experience is a plus

Graphic Artist
Must have experience with an industry standard art package (Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc)

• Creation of menu graphics and layouts
  • Good grasp of medieval & fantasy themes and artistic conventions
  • Creation of web graphics is a plus
    [*]Experience working with ingame sprites and decals is a plus

Contact Information
Applications should include the following details about yourself, along with examples of work and any extra information you feel could be of use.
  • Age, location and occupation
  • Availablity (in terms of how often you are online and able to work)
  • A short personal bio is nice, but not required.
Applications and examples of work can be sent via e-mail to [email protected]
You can also contact us via IM profiles and IRC, details below.

Bill Lowe:
MSN : [email protected]
AIM : billo14787

Pål Trefall:
MSN : [email protected]
AIM : Val Trefall

Our IRC channel is #valandilmod on the GameSurge IRC network.

Bill Lowe & Pål Trefall
Valandil Project Leaders

Oh yeah, the old rivals to kingdom lost :D How are you guys doing?

KL is pretty much KO'ed now I think, the medieval arena is all yours :p looking forward to seeing some screenshots!

aww... you guys went fantasy? That's kind of disappointing, although this line
# Fantasy Setting - You won't be seeing any fireball hurling wizards or dragons though
Encourages me a bit. And co-op sounds like a blast! good luck!

your media page doesnt work. how are we to know if youe actualy done any work?

No media will be released in the short term, we're planning on coming out with a bang. This isn't about convincing people that we're doing work, media and PR really aren't out focus right now. So I guess you'll just have to have some faith.

Thanks for the support guys!

sorry but there are a huge amount of mods that start up. make a website and maybe do some crappy concepts and maps and then die. how are we to determine if you are different from the rest. its one thing having a team and not wanting to release anything. its completely different when your posting on a forum askign for people to join but still refusing to show any content. especialy when your advertising a fantasty medievil themed mod.

We do have a team, and we are asking for a helping hand to take off some burden from those who have a lot to do. We don't need any help to get it done, but we could use a helping hand.

We do understand that quite a few may question us for not showing any content when asking for this help. But if you are a tallented developer, who have reference material, and would be interested to join a medieval fantasy themed mod. Then why not give us a try, and once you are on the inside you can judge for yourself. You could always leave the next day, we don't put you in chains.

@crackhead

He did already explain that this mod was started a while ago and was quite a way through development when they had to shut it down. Your post might apply to most mods but i have faith in this one, i remember seeing the shots of it last year and it was progressing well.

well hes shown no proof that its any different to most mods.

Well, we could post two screenies from our lead programmer's old dev journal. Parallax mapping isn't something every other mod has implemented.
parallax_test3.jpg

gregs_vertex_parallax4.jpg

Good job no-one is trying to impress you then :)

ummmm.... i wasnt beeing sarcastic. i genuinely am impressed id been wonderign abotu parralex mapping on source.

i remember this mod i was dissapointed when they closed there doors glad to see it up and running again, wtf happened to kingdom lost? it was also lookin good?

armanguy said:
i remember this mod i was dissapointed when they closed there doors glad to see it up and running again, wtf happened to kingdom lost? it was also lookin good?

Kingdom Lost never really had much to show.. Plus a dumb name.

kingdom lost sounds kool you have a dumb name ahahaha jk dont hurt me

@ non-believers: If you never saw this mod when it was first in development, you missed out. They actually had some in-game stuff, and it was looking pretty cool, with great map designs and textures. Now that they've switched to a fantasy theme (it was originally gonna be 'authentic' medieval fighting) I don't know what to expect, but if it's anything like what they've had before, prepare to be impressed.

It is a religion.

They worship me through feats of graphics programming.

Yes it is. In fact, I have a little shrine to Valandil in my closet, right next to my furry suit and LARP equipment.

Scared yet?

No, I just meant you seemed kind of iffy about their level of quality, so I thought I'd try and set the record straight.

I really like the sound of this mod. I heard they need more texture artists. It's too bad that I suck at photoshop. ;)

Just a fun shot of some custom textures, enjoy :)

skytest0000.jpg

if you guys need any body buildin ogres im your man to draw them:p

ahahhah crackhad i said body building ogres ofcourse they lift weights:p

do you know how light cheese is? theres no way you could develope muscle that way?

i know lol i was just elaborating on it ahole you ruined the whole joke

Back