Valve development policy becoming flimsy?

Decon

Reaction score
After cartoonish Team Fortress 2 and that mp zombie thing it seems that Valve can't wait to dump ingenious sp immersion of HL2 and go for arcading flimsyness that appeals to kids and casual gamers...even their support for this arcadic games shows this.

Did you also got that impression? Will they ever make something like HL2 ever again?

^No.

Massive fail.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear enough, TF2 and Left 4 Dead are freaking awesome.

Will they ever make something like HL2 ever again?
As soon as Episode 3 comes out...? Did Episode 2 pass you by?

And the 'cartoonish' TF2 is superb.

The only problem is their development turnaround time. IMO Episode 3 should be their priority right now and it doesn't seem like it is.

The reason Valve made TF2 cartoonish, is cause it's not a serious game.
There are to many realistic war time online games, and Valve went for a new style,which as been very well received by critics and the community.
If you look on the market now, you will see nothing like TF2 it's unique, so i would not call Valves development policy filmsy, more trying something different instead of makinga boring similar type game already out. And we have not played Left For Dead yet, so i don't think we can comment on it just after seeing a couple of videos.
There will be more Half Life even after Episode 3, so Valve are still very committed to it.

You are obviously confused, TF2 and the zombie thing is just running around and randomly shooting, there is no story or anything. Furthermore, anything that is dedicated to be played only online displays such inferiority. It is flimsy.

I'm just worrying if Valve is becoming too greedy and turning its back on quality. It doesn't look good.

I'm just worrying if Valve is becoming too greedy and turning its back on quality. It doesn't look good.

Says the guy who called Portal a masterpiece.

I'm sorry they didn't make Ultra-Real World War (2) Sim Combat XX and disappointed you. Maybe you should start looking towards another developer since Valve is clearly failing at everything they do.

anything that is dedicated to be played only online displays such inferiority.

The Starsiege: Tribes community would like to have a word with you. As would the Team Fortress Classic community. And the Half-Life 2 Deathmatch community. And the Counter-Strike/CS:Source community. And the Day of Defeat/DoD:Source community. And every other online community born from playing online-centric games.

Sometimes, you want to lose yourself in an epic story (Planescape: Torment).
Sometimes, you want to lose yourself in the bloodstains of your enemies (TF2).
Sometimes, you want serious. Sometimes, you want funny. Sometimes, you just want to be able to kick back and relax.

You can't say that online-only games are inferior to offline-only ones or games that have both. Let's take a look at the Orange Box, shall we? Half-Life 2: Episode 2. That's there. It attracts you when you want story-driven gameplay. Portal. That's there. It attracts you when you want puzzle-based gameplay. Team Fortress 2. That's there. It attracts you when you want team-based gameplay.

You are obviously confused, TF2 and the zombie thing is just running around and randomly shooting, there is no story or anything. Furthermore, anything that is dedicated to be played only online displays such inferiority. It is flimsy.

Are you kidding me? Every single title they've released recently has been amazing. Just because they aren't catering specifically to the single-player crowd doesn't mean they're turning their back on it - I mean, the super-immersive SP experience is Valve's signature move, more or less. Ep3 is coming up, just as Ep2 was released with Orange Box, Ep1 was released before, and HL2 before that. Things like Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead are just them expanding their audience and practicing their expertise in a different type of game - and they succeeded so far as I am concerned. TF2 is one of the most polished, balanced, fun, and unique FPSes I've ever played, Portal was a gem of a game, and L4D looks to be the best zombie game since - and maybe including - Dead Rising.

Sounds like you need to try playing TF2, since it's not just "running around and randomly shooting", there's a ton of strategy involved and teamwork is absolutely necessary to get anywhere.

Online FPS tend not to have storys, and are just for action. Look at all the great online shooters such as Counter Strike,COD,Halo none of them have storys on the muliplayer part cause no one wants it. People play these online just to have fun killing, if you want story then get WOW and enjoy your quests. Also i can't believe you think games dedicated to online are inferior, by that logic massively popular games like CSS and WOW are inferior,i think there would be a lot of people disagreeing with you. Valve focusing on making TF2 online only allows them to balance it and make it work perfectly, it not the sort of game you can play singleplayer. TF2 has been rated very highly for it's quality and i feel that you don't like it cause you suck at it,Valve certainly have not turned it's back on quality.
Wait a miniute aren't you the graphics whore who loves Crysis?

Well, if FPS genre would be more open ended(hugely increased replayability factor) with RPG elements like STALKER such division between sp and mp wouldn't even be necessary(co-op).

Well, if FPS genre would be more open ended(hugely increased replayability factor) with RPG elements like STALKER such division between sp and mp wouldn't even be necessary(co-op).

Here's the problem, people just want to get straight into the action with a online FPS. And the regular updates (new weapons maps,gameplay modes) solve the replayabilty factor. People just want to go online and start blasting, they don't want to bother with RPG aspests and adding those aspects adds no advantages to the game. The thing is when people play games like STALKER they like to be left alone. They don't want to share it online with thousands of people. You know that Left For Dead will be Co-Op.

After cartoonish Team Fortress 2 and that mp zombie thing it seems that Valve can't wait to dump ingenious sp immersion of HL2 and go for arcading flimsyness that appeals to kids and casual gamers...even their support for this arcadic games shows this.

Did you also got that impression? Will they ever make something like HL2 ever again?

Despite TF2 being 'arcading flimsyness', it still manages to be one of the most popular online FPSs at the moment, but clearly these are all just 'kids' and 'casual gamers', and Ill bet my left nut that the ratings of Left4Dead will put your meager argument to shame also. You really do not have a ****ing clue, and frankly you should find something else to do with your time than just merely joining this forum so you can construct retarded arguments against Valve and their games. Gtfo.

Not everyone wants to play an RPG. Sometimes people do just want to load a game and get straight into the action.

TF2 is an insane amount of fun. I play it daily and I'm still playing on the official maps. It really is one of the most balanced and fun team-based shooters online at the moment.

And whats wrong with the graphics? It's really not that far off of Toy Story quality. Go watch the "Meet the..." videos.

As for the single player. Episode 3 is on its way, as people have said. And I'm sure Valve will create some kind of single player game after that, even if its not set in the Half Life universe.

Valve are a great developement company, certainly one of the best. I love them.

I think Valve hit on a great game with the original TF & it was always going to re-appear in a updated sequel. It went through a lot of different changes so I've heard. Maybe they settled on it's new style because they were trying to make it a bit less boyz own, but

images

"big whoop, wanna fight about it?"

Its undoubtedly a franchise that is popular across the broad gamer demographic & it's new "cartoonish" look has been praised by many (/looks at posts above). It probably won awards too in the gaming industry, or at the least nominated for a few in multi-player categories. It also makes sense to me from a business perspective to try something different in this area i.e. "people think TF2 (/glances at WoW's popularity on the PC) is well brown & drop their $ on it, lets try & push something else thats fun into their veins thats MP-Team based but different & in a different environment etc."

Now I don't know much about how Valve is departmentalized & how they co-ordinate/ operate together as a company containing a variety of specialized professionals but they won't abandon or "dump" their desire to create "ingenious sp immersion" in my honest opinion. It's only fairly recently that Valve acquired a whole new team of people who went on to make Portal, which is in my opinion a rather short but "ingenious sp immersion" game. This genre is a firm favorite amongst their staff I reckon.

This is a kinda similar OP to the one in this thread http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2609159 except there's no mention of TF2 & L4D.

Here was my response

Well, according to Gabe Newell in this interview...

"once we've gone through episode 3, we're gonna solicit our community & say what do you think? is this better than the monolithic approach to releasing games? or do you want us to go back & do something like half-life 2" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqfwCNogUM

I hope he's good to his word & maybe he'll post here again with some questions! I know that I'm going to wait for EP 3 until I make a truly considered judgement regarding this matter.

I still stand by this for now & point people with questions like...."Will they ever make something like HL2 ever again?" to Gabe's response. Doug's been talking alot about the gaming industry recently & how it is changing/developing which is exciting for us & them imo! Gabe's been quoted as saying he felt that back in the mid 90's there was a glut of FPS games that were too similar, & felt he could freshen it up. See here. http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html

& Half Life most certainly has crates. I remember alot of these games, & much of the FPS market today dumps on them, in an immersive sense. & I thank Half Life alot.

But something will have to give, & that might be things like sequels to OF or a CS 2, who knows. L4D is'nt here yet, & neither is HL EP2: pt 3 or any rock hard data facts from Valve about their long term commitments & future game titles. I just think it slaps of fail to read too much into it so /slap my face. I'll offer you a helpful

242spp5.gif

Back