valve LOST an obscene amount of money the other night

She said:
FBI in japan? or in any other country.. not likely..

You failed to read the "any other law enforcement" bit of his post :| :|

RTFMy said:
If you knew all this, why did you make this thread in the first place? :|

Wow, I actually bought the game, this kind of makes me mad. You know there are people in this forum who pirated it. W/E. I paid for it and people are playing it for free.

Yeah, folks may have pirated it, but I'm sure they had a hell of time trying to get Steam to autheticate it.

Wait a minute, aint Cs:S roughly 1gig? Your red circle is on 1 thats 466megs....

Those guys wont be able to play online doesnt matter.

css is 466 megs compressed down the wire.

It's a shame people warez stuff like this, but its something you just can't stop. Good thing there a folks like me who actually buy the game (over steam no less) to support this developer.

After Valve made HL1. . . it was an iffy situation. Are they really that good of a dev, or did they just get lucky and it all fell into place? HL2 proved without a doubt they are one of the top game houses in the world. I'm proud to help support their efforts.

Raziel-Jcd said:
They can play online perfectly, on legitimate servers as well.

Raziel-Jcd said:

Yes they can, this was established. Oh and the technology to get a dummy client to pass through the steam authentification process was created when Condition-Zero first released, and then re-hashed when CS:S beta was released. And now again (and it didn't even take long at all) for Counter-Strike: Source Beta's full release.

Mr-Fusion said:
They can play online perfectly, on legitimate servers as well.

I don't know that I believe that. I pay attention to the pirate scene and have not scene really anything CS:S related come through.

Usually I don't care about games getting pirated because most games don't live up to the hype and usually they prevent you from playing online or at least limit you to cracked servers. If people can play CS:S online and on servers that don't require being cracked.. I will be PISSED
:flame:

I rarely support software developers but when I do it is for a reason. I purchased the Gold package minutes after it was available. If VALVe knows people can play online illegally and it not stopping them I will stop supporting VALVe.

Some guys at school today mocked me for buying HL2....

I feel stupid :(

Edge said:
I rarely support software developers but when I do it is for a reason. I purchased the Gold package minutes after it was available. If VALVe knows people can play online illegally and it not stopping them I will stop supporting VALVe.

So you don't support software developers (I'm assuming your admitting you pirate here, or do you just not buy alot of games)... But when you buy a game and someone else pirates it.. It's not cool. And why the hell would valve not stop people from pirating there game...

-Limb

i didn't think the warezed copy could play on legitimate servers. i mean, just the normal cdkey verifiying system works fine such as on call of duty. when the game gets pirated, they can play only on cracked servers only

BUT im amazed that steam has been defeated like this. the funny thing is if they were still using WON, pirated copies wouldn't be able to play on legitimate servers.

Limb said:
So you don't support software developers (I'm assuming your admitting you pirate here, or do you just not buy alot of games)... But when you buy a game and someone else pirates it.. It's not cool. And why the hell would valve not stop people from pirating there game...

-Limb

No I rarely buy games is what I was saying. I have been playing Call Of Duty which I purchased last year and Quake III Arena which I purchased years ago. I play the demo's when they are released and then buy it if I like it. I rarely buy games because I have friends that buy every game that comes out and I believe you are supporting shitty developers and by always buying their games they won't improve their products.

Edge said:
No I rarely buy games is what I was saying. I have been playing Call Of Duty which I purchased last year and Quake III Arena which I purchased years ago. I play the demo's when they are released and then buy it if I like it. I rarely buy games because I have friends that buy every game that comes out and I believe you are supporting shitty developers and by always buying their games they won't improve their products.

Ah then I'm sorry for saying that, I take all that back. But I;d rather support developers and get semi-good crappy games then no games at all...

-Limb

If you're going to steal a game, better a mainstream one guaranteed to make millions than one from a fledgling developer.

It'd be best to steal no games at all, but considering how slow demos (and how poor they are at really giving a sense of the gameplay) come out and the price of games its understandable why the pirate scene for new games is booming. Plus they usually come out before the store version.

...I wonder if these guys have legitmate jobs? I'm sure they'd be useful somewhere else.

Valve could easily solve this problem. It would cause us about 5 more secounds or so before getting to join a game.

This is happening....This is a problem....

I look at steam, not as a tool for distributing their games but as a tool that re affirms with us that valve is stoping hackers/cheaters. Steam is like that YIN and YANG or Devil and Angel that sits on your sholder. You might be able to get away with things for a whyll, but when that devil least expects it, that angel is going to kick it in to high gear. AKA i think of steam as the tool to stop people from cheating. Not because they cant cheat, but because if they get caught they get banned.

*Back to Fixing it*

Valve could do a authentication check with a master server. Unreal2004 isnt cracked for online play. It has a CRACKED SERVER Bullcrap but hey, you want to play with everyone else in a fair environment with all the perks like a scoreboard and such for the best of the best. Valve could use steam as a giant scoreboard or some other incentive that cant be reproduced with BS hacks. Also they could do a authentication check with their server and NOT THE SERVER HOSTING THE GAME. We have steam accounts, passwords, cdkeys and other toolz for proveing we own the games.

VAC2 is the online authentication system for cs:s, and it's not online yet, that's why they can play. Come on people, 4 pages and nobody mentions this, and this is supposed to be the biggest half-life2 fan site on the net. When VAC2 goes live these people without valid cs:s steamIDs won't be able to play on any legit servers, that's 99.9% of servers out there. So chill, and smile knowingly at the next pirate you meet in the game.

manny_c44 said:
If you're going to steal a game, better a mainstream one guaranteed to make millions than one from a fledgling developer.

It'd be best to steal no games at all, but considering how slow demos (and how poor they are at really giving a sense of the gameplay) come out and the price of games its understandable why the pirate scene for new games is booming. Plus they usually come out before the store version.

...I wonder if these guys have legitmate jobs? I'm sure they'd be useful somewhere else.

Yes they have legit jobs.. And they pay for the games they distribute...

-Limb

myshkin said:
VAC2 is the online authentication system for cs:s, and it's not online yet, that's why they can play. Come on people, 4 pages and nobody mentions this, and this is supposed to be the biggest half-life2 fan site on the net. When VAC2 goes live these people without valid cs:s steamIDs won't be able to play on any legit servers, that's 99.9% of servers out there. So chill, and smile knowingly at the next pirate you meet in the game.

Uh.. Can I get official word on this? VAC2 is Valve anti cheat isn't it? Not Valve Anti Pirate...

Not saying you aren't telling the truth, just wont official word on this.

-Limb

myshkin said:
And it will be cracked.

What's your point?

myshkin said:

sounds like something you just totally made up, link to official source otherwise.

ytinupmi said:
sounds like something you just totally made up, link to official source otherwise.

Link? No need for a link, just remember CS 1.5 and WON.

RTFMy said:
Link? No need for a link, just remember CS 1.5 and WON.

WON and VAC are in NO way related.. They are 2 seperate things...

-Limb

Limb said:
WON and VAC are in NO way related.. They are 2 seperate things...

-Limb

Thats not what I was implying..

-RTFMy (I can include this and look gay to!)

Err, then what were you implying? You've got me confused now.

-Limb

Didn't this happen to the beta? Can't Valve just release an update to render this useless? I guess then the pirated version would be updated... :hmph:

Well, if the dudes at Valve really are as smart as they seem... we might dare to hope they'll find a way to stop this.

:) Why can't they take that site down, and other ones that offer pirated stuff?

ailevation said:
:) Why can't they take that site down, and other ones that offer pirated stuff?

Because those sites don't supplie the cotnent. They contain links to a file that allows the sharing of the file.. Thus the sites a protected because they aren't doing anything illegal.

EDIT: This only applies to Bittorrent sites.

-Limb

Letters said:
Didn't this happen to the beta? Can't Valve just release an update to render this useless? I guess then the pirated version would be updated... :hmph:

Well, if the dudes at Valve really are as smart as they seem... we might dare to hope they'll find a way to stop this.
so a simple update could make it unable to play unless you have the newest version. couldnt valve simply have steam "update" their games with a random code or something everyday that acted like a verification for all servers? that way the warez community would never have a totally up to date version to distribute. or it would be very difficult to do.

kaf11 said:
so a simple update could make it unable to play unless you have the newest version. couldnt valve simply have steam "update" their games with a random code or something everyday that acted like a verification for all servers? that way the warez community would never have a totally up to date version to distribute. or it would be very difficult to do.

It's a pain in the ass to do.. Gotta change the code, recompile it, and get it out to the entire user base including servers.. It would be a pain in the ass...

-Limb

Actaully i think the best thing to do would be for Valve to "leak" around 50 cracks for it's own game, which on installing corrupt a system file which is required to start up the computer, meaning many wasted hours trying to get it working again, re-installing windows etc

Not to back people for doing illegal things or causeing valve more headache in haveing to fix something they already have done but, goverment agencys and people in general have better things to do than to try and nail some 50k people who for some reason or another choose to download stuff illegaly.

Almost anyone whos been on the internet has at one point or another done something illegal. Im not going to turn this into a debate on the legalities of downloading 0's and 1's and yes it does hurt companys profits a little bit but look at this picture:

You goto a liebrary and get a movie, it was free to get it. You watch the movie and then return it. No buddy made money off of that and you still got the service "EX: The movie" for free. Yes this is differnt than downloading something that is comeing out in a week but still you see its still a valid point. Do i think personaly that it is wrong to download stuff? Yes... to a degree... Do i think people should be sued or goto jail or goverment type things should waste and when i say waste i do mean WASTE their time on things like this. Their is so many things you can say to compare to show that downloading isnt as bad as other things and that it is similar to something else that you do, but it is still wrong.

***Edit PS:***

No valve shouldnt try and faulter people for useing a cracked CSS. Im useing a real "ATI" Css. That being said, for valve to get more money which is what will happen is: Valve sees how people are cracking the game. Valve fix's the problem and if they really are pissed go after the people doing the cracking. LEAVE THE END USER OUT OF IT. These same people that are useing a cracked version will have by then definatly be addicted to the game and theirfor buy it for legal use. They will get tierd of haveing to update new cracked files everytime that valve has a update.

Thanks to the efforts of some very dilligent people, valve is always really close behind all the crack makers and users. I went on ********'s channel, and by far the vedict was that HL2 would be the first game they actually paid money for in years. Even the pirates know that HL2 is the #1 heavyweight champion of the world, EVER!

LOL...the FBI or any legit department won't waste their time on hacking an online game. Only sending spam, making spyware, or hacking accounts will get you a vist from them.

ytinupmi said:

I didn't make it up, think about how vac works for 1.6, you go to join the server with your client, the server then checks to see if your steam id is valid, not already in use, and not banned, if it is valid and you aren't global banned and it's not being used elsewhere, you can join. Every single half-decent online fps, and even the crap ones, implement some kind of authentication. In fact the last online fps not to was lucasarts JK-II.

Back