Valve Responds to L4D 2 Criticism

They've recovered themselves a bit with the assurance that work with the L4D SDK will extend to L4D2, but in terms of content updates, I can see why this is disappointing to many. What kind of possible updates could it be seeing when a superior game is already out the door? What could be added that isn't already implemented in the sequel? Would Valve actually update the original to compete against L4D2's quality? Who will even still be playing?
This is a strange move by valve.

They usually don't go down the path of capitalist pig money whores. But i suppose their business model of releasing a game and giving it 5+ years of free support keeping it fresh, exciting and creating a sea of devoted followers.... is coming to an end. Perhaps it was not financially viable afterall.

All good things ends. Valve will slowly, inevitably drift into a world of shitness like George Lucas (and lucasarts!), Metallica, U2 and a host of other sellouts and people who lose their true creative drive.

Valve knows the left 4 dead market is a bunch of fanboy idiot teenagers who cream their dacks everytime a pixel zombie runs at them "omg this game is so scary and cool". They'll lap up a sequel every year and pay money for it. Gone to the Call of duty 1,2,3,4,5,6 business model!

Blizzard is all that remains....for now. Where's diablo 3,4,5,6,7,8,9? Or starcraft 2,3,4,5,6,7,8? That's right! They have not reached the point of total and utter selloutage.

Oh, man up a little. Seriously, do you people have no spine? "OMG, THEY RELEASE A SEQUEL, I'M SO BETRAYED, I'LL TELL MY MOM NOT TO BUY ME THIS GAME!", people are getting so ridiculous.

Blizzard is all that remains....for now. Where's diablo 3,4,5,6,7,8,9? Or starcraft 2,3,4,5,6,7,8? That's right! They have not reached the point of total and utter selloutage.

Also, where's Half life 2,3,4,5,6... or TF3, 4,5,6... ??? Check up your facts before you make over the top comments (oh yeah, and what about starcraft 2 coming up as "three games" for each campaign? LET'S BOYCOTT THAT TOO!).

They did more for TF2. We got new maps, new gamemodes, new weapons, new animations, new minor effects, new achievements. Why couldn't Valve give just a little bit more to L4D they gave loads more content to the other MP games.

Poster needs read the previous posts and engage brain. :dozey:

Gabe says -> Games will have "interoperability". Meaning they are going to have some form of compatibility.

Makes me quite happy. :D

Poster needs to have employed a little faith in Valve before throwing Rattle from Pram in the first place. :dozey:

Nearly. I am very much willing to pay for it. I am not, however, willing to pay for content that is not retroactive to L4D1. Especially when the content (as demonstrated so far) is not worthy of a full fledged game.

See, this is the problem - this is where the pillars begin to shake. Your whole argument is based around the idea that what L4D2 is going to offer is yours and that, regardless of implementation, you should have it in L4D. So, you have a choice here. You either accept a handful of new weapons and one or two new campaigns - both adhering to the rules laid down by L4D - or you embrace the whole slew of new content, gameplay elements, and rules delivered by L4D2, retroactively marched into L4D. I would argue that the former option is distinctly mediocre. I don't care for a handful of new weapons thrown into L4D. I think that's trivial - it wouldn't work in the same manner as TF2 updates do. A new campaign or two? Sure, I'd hold up my hand to that - and I think you will get that, but they won't nearly be as comprehensive as what is to come in L4D2. The why is in the latter option.

They can't do that. Game design doesn't work like that; it's a far more complex beast, best illustrated in this argument in comparison between L4D and TF2. L4D has its own established framework through which its elements and components exist and function. To introduce a variable on the scale of L4D2's revamped AI Director or melee weapons, you would start to degrade that framework. You can't do that. Ultimately, Valve came to the decision that a sequel would best serve what they wanted to do with the series. Are we so spoilt as to shout corporate greed the moment we see something that deviates from the charity ideology? Do not be so naive.

Owners of Left 4 Dead were mislead. Fact. Valve said there would be DLC like TF2. Yes, we are entitled whether you feel that way or not, Samon.

I stand by what I said. DLC is not a luxury to which you have a claim. Promises of it should be taken with a pinch of salt, simply because it is free.

You're some dude in a room on a computer with an opinion.

Just like you.

I don't consider L4D broken at all. It just lacks content, but that isn't the specific argument.

I agree that it is not broken. No qualms there.

This was not directed at you.

On what do you found your basis for this statement?

That's all well and good. Unfortunately it's not what I am arguing here. Left 4 Dead 2 should be retroactive with Left 4 Dead 1. The features and environment which are being *established together* can be made to work retroactively with L4D 1.

I don't think you are qualified to make that statement.

This is a claim. But how does it help your argument? Are you implying that Left 4 Dead cannot have DLC? Because, ya know, it has.

Ah, you're relying on blanket statements - in principle, specifically, DLC in regard to L4D and TF2 is very different.

Right. Boo-hoo. I'm crying. My content shows up with a 50 price tag and I'm supposed to smile.

Your content. Would you look at that.

Oh if only.

That's a good start, but for obvious reasons I'll have to see action(or at least much clearer words) before I get rid of my skepticism.

This is a strange move by valve.

They usually don't go down the path of capitalist pig money whores. But i suppose their business model of releasing a game and giving it 5+ years of free support keeping it fresh, exciting and creating a sea of devoted followers.... is coming to an end. Perhaps it was not financially viable afterall.

All good things ends. Valve will slowly, inevitably drift into a world of shitness like George Lucas (and lucasarts!), Metallica, U2 and a host of other sellouts and people who lose their true creative drive.

Valve knows the left 4 dead market is a bunch of fanboy idiot teenagers who cream their dacks everytime a pixel zombie runs at them "omg this game is so scary and cool". They'll lap up a sequel every year and pay money for it. Gone to the Call of duty 1,2,3,4,5,6 business model!

Although I've been anti-L4D2 so far, one defense for it is that they're going down the EA/Activision route of game design for L4D so that they can fund TF and HL2.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but I am in the boycott group.
But I'm not one of the members that goes "BLARGABLARABLARG BOYCOTT NAOO!!!!"

I just don't wanna pay for another whole game. Other than that, L4D2 is fine ;)

World of Warcraft.

That's all I'll say.

I find it funny that the only argument here seems to be the people that believe there are good guys and bad guys in everything. "There are people who are good, and there are people who are just baaaaad!" Which may be true, but everybody needs to justify their own actions to themselves to do something. Valve is the company, and they have things to do. Just because we like some of their products doesn't mean we get a say in every company decision made by them. Grow up a little and find a different hobby. You'll soon forget how much L4D2 pissed you off, and possibly make some friends. Valve is not your mother. You will still be able to look at yourself in the mirror if they decide to make a little extra dough.

I'd also like to point out that Valve isn't forcing you to buy it. They're just making it. The only thing you guys are mad about is that other people are going to be enjoying the new product while you sit there with your arms folded, pouting because the cookie you were promised wasn't as big as you had hoped. That is all this is. Life is full of disappointments, time to start rolling with them.

Back