Video Card, On Which Hl2 Vid Demos Ran On

Yeah, we were showing the demos on the x800. In one booth, we had a Dell XPS machine -- in the other we were running on an Alienware box. Resolution in the ATI booth was 1366 x 768. Not sure about the Vivendi booth -- those monitors were physically larger, but I'm not sure if they were higher resolution or not.

Whilst those benchmarks are old, they are still interesting.

Anyway, as long as my intended system, equiped with an XP2800, 1gig of RAM and a Radeon 9800pro, runs HL2 at its very best, then I don't really care...

CoolFunkMan said:
Whilst those benchmarks are old, they are still interesting.

Anyway, as long as my intended system, equiped with an XP2800, 1gig of RAM and a Radeon 9800pro, runs HL2 at its very best, then I don't really care...

You really don't have to worry - My brother has a 9600 xt running far cry at high settings @ 1024x768 only with some custom/medium things here and there, and we know that far cry is not a very optimized game for lower end systems. HL2 on the other hand should work very well as it's heavily optimized, even for low end systems. So people like us who have a 9800 are in very safe hands. ;)

is a GeForce 4 ti 4200 128mb anything close to 9800pro?

It's the lower end of the DX8 cards but still a relatively good card. Obviously the 9800 Pro is now sort of the low - middle end of the DX9 cards.

Shuzer said:
Drivers can improve performance, but they can't change a card's architecture..

For the benefit of the doubt, I'll say the game will run 10-15 FPS in DX9 :)

one thing though, i really don't expect to run hl2 in the highest settings, probably put the resolution at 800x640, and take the shadows off, not to mention may be put the water quality on a low setting b/c water takes a lot of resources for a lot of pc games i've played, and hopefully after that i'll be able to put everything on high and may be a few things on medium and expect to run it 25+ fps, greg do you think that's a reasonable thought or will hl2 just run like crap no matter what b/c of my nvidia

Chris_D said:
It's the lower end of the DX8 cards but still a relatively good card. Obviously the 9800 Pro is now sort of the low - middle end of the DX9 cards.

Yeah, well that is if you can't live without playing in 1024x768 and with some medium details...right?

Sai said:
one thing though, i really don't expect to run hl2 in the highest settings, probably put the resolution at 800x640, and take the shadows off, not to mention may be put the water quality on a low setting b/c water takes a lot of resources for a lot of pc games i've played, and hopefully after that i'll be able to put everything on high and may be a few things on medium and expect to run it 25+ fps, greg do you think that's a reasonable thought or will hl2 just run like crap no matter what b/c of my nvidia

That sounds completely reasonable to me. I was thinking strictly in terms of maxed settings

I have an
AMD 64bit 3000+
1.5gig Geil DDR400 Ram
Gexcube 9800XT256MB
2x 120 gig HDD
21" Dell Trinitron
Gigabyte Motherboard

Now with this rig i run FarCry at 1280x1024 at very High not bad frame rates. First level outside= 25-40 fps. i am still annoyed that it doesnt get better fps considering the performance of my computer. This should be enough to play HL2 flawlessly as i emailed Gabe and he told me it would play perfectly with hih graphics. See the difference? HL2: Perfectly optimized, FarCry: Crap optimizing. Bottom Line it sthe game fault if a game runs slow or chugs along correct? I run reso at 1280 x 1024 32bit colour in order to use XSI softimage.
However when i play

scarecrow1 said:
I have an
AMD 64bit 3000+
1.5gig Geil DDR400 Ram
Gexcube 9800XT256MB
2x 120 gig HDD
21" Dell Trinitron
Gigabyte Motherboard

Now with this rig i run FarCry at 1280x1024 at very High not bad frame rates. First level outside= 25-40 fps. i am still annoyed that it doesnt get better fps considering the performance of my computer. This should be enough to play HL2 flawlessly as i emailed Gabe and he told me it would play perfectly with hih graphics. See the difference? HL2: Perfectly optimized, FarCry: Crap optimizing. Bottom Line it sthe game fault if a game runs slow or chugs along correct? I run reso at 1280 x 1024 32bit colour in order to use XSI softimage.
However when i play

i wouldn't say farcry is crap optimized. i think your just going to see more and more developers design games with current and future technology in mind so that their game will continue to perform better as newer technology is released. this obviously means your not going to run everything maxed out right away. makes sense to me as it seems it would lengthen the shelf life of a game rather than have it die out as it's technology becomes outdated.

in the long run a 9800 pro 128mg should run half-life 2 on high settings pretty good?

Mike

i remember gabe stating once or twice that a 9600 pro with 1 gig ram and 2.4 + gigs will be able to run the game on high.. but 9600pro was the lowest they have gone interims of cards and still manage to play the game on high settings.

Max_Payne said:
in the long run a 9800 pro 128mg should run half-life 2 on high settings pretty good?

Mike

I reckon it should, I remember Gabe saying prior to E32003 that a 9700pro with a 2.4Ghz processor and a gig of ram could run HL2 on 1280x1024 on high settings smoothly.

I dunno though, the graphics etc have improved a hell of a lot since then, I'd say that a 9800pro could run it on 1024x768 on high settings without too much trouble. I did notice in the E32k4 video the game skips a few times on an 9800XT, I don't know what settings that was on, but I think it's safe to say the resolution was higher than 1024x768.

Who the hell has to run games on anything higher than 1280x1024 anyway? It gets a bit ridiculous any higher than that.
:monkee:

I'm going to spring for the 256 9800 pro. Any comments? Value for money? I'm hoping at least 40fps in all games at 1024x768 for two to three years....am I nuts? Also apparently I can flash its bios to an xt.

Now I'm off to find a capture card so I can use my monitor as a TV.

PatPwnt said:
Is 9700pro a dx9 card?

All Radeon cards past the 9200 series are DX9. This encompasses the 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800 and X800 series of cards.

lans said:
You really don't have to worry - My brother has a 9600 xt running far cry at high settings @ 1024x768 only with some custom/medium things here and there, and we know that far cry is not a very optimized game for lower end systems. HL2 on the other hand should work very well as it's heavily optimized, even for low end systems. So people like us who have a 9800 are in very safe hands. ;)

ive got a 9600xt 256mb. and i can crank all the settings up to very high and get a good fps, about 35 40 fps with AA at 2x and AF at 2x.. but then again its a 2.8 proccessor :) and has 1 gig of ram

well as i stated before in other forums i have a really good feeling that my 9600 ati saphire wit 256 mg is gonna run hl2 just perfect on higher settings. I also got 2.3ghz wit hyper threading , and a gig of ram to back it up. i hope im ready ... :rolling: lol

PEACE

Mike
:cheers:

Well I just got a 9600XT for $150 with HL2 free so in a year or two I can get a better one. I'm not for spending all the money on the newest x800xt cuase once something else comes out, well you know. I thought it was a good deal anywho...

lol very very good point. their will always be sumthing better. eventually lol

PEACE

mike

I just ordered my new Radeon 9800 Pro 128 excalibur (the one with the giant VGA silencer on it :-D )

I'm hoping to run HL2 in all its glory with this machine:

AMD [email protected]
1gig of pc2700 333mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Excalibur
Lots of cooling (volcano 12 and arctic silver on CPU) and nice airflow

pray for me :-D!

aeroripper said:
I just ordered my new Radeon 9800 Pro 128 excalibur (the one with the giant VGA silencer on it :-D )

I'm hoping to run HL2 in all its glory with this machine:

AMD [email protected]
1gig of pc2700 333mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Excalibur
Lots of cooling (volcano 12 and arctic silver on CPU) and nice airflow

pray for me :-D!

God help us all if you can't run HL2 at max settings with that :) (NOT including FSAA and AF)

well, help ME, anyway.. as my system is very similar, only.. radeon 9700

I'm sure i can... I have a 9600 SE i got now because i messed up my Gforce ti 4600 trying to get the heatsink off :-D

Running on the 9600se in far cry i get around 15-20fps pretty much wherever i am in the game everything maxed out. And i don't think far cry is optimized nearly as much as HL2 is going to be (down to a dx6 card i heard??? jesus!) so....

aeroripper said:
I'm sure i can... I have a 9600 SE i got now because i messed up my Gforce ti 4600 trying to get the heatsink off :-D

Running on the 9600se in far cry i get around 15-20fps pretty much wherever i am in the game everything maxed out. And i don't think far cry is optimized nearly as much as HL2 is going to be (down to a dx6 card i heard??? jesus!) so....

I can run FC with ultra high details on my 9700 (OCed to Pro) around 30FPS, depends on the area, but I average 30FPS

I'm in christmas feelings myself. My X800 XT Platinum Edition has just began moving - about a week before it comes to my hut in Sweden. Sooo nice to get to throw out this junky Radeon 9700 Pro I've got now. I can't even use any AA nor any ANSF in 1024 if I want to get playable framerates in newer games. (Latest catalysts.)

If H-L 2 doesn't flow in 1280 x 960 with e-thing on MAX I'm gonna sell it to the highest bidder !

(After I've played it through a few hundred times on lower settings of course !) ;)

Back