Virus protection? best one?

gegam

Reaction score
whats is the best virus protection that uses the least ammount of system resource. so i can have it running while playing games or what not.

something that dosent kill the memmory i guess.

nod32 if you can afford it.

and avg antivirus, its free, works great, and uses 3.7mb on my system.

NOD32 is offers equal or better protection than Norton but uses hardly any resources and is very quick.
Any free AV does not offer much protection at all. Norton is the opposite, offering good protection but terrible with resources.

NOD32 costs less than Norton as well. It is offered Online but not in retail stores.

Yeah, I use NOD32.
I think it's set to update automaticly every hour. Generally there is an update once a day.
Everything is in the background except a notification "OK" that it updated.

dont be so quick to disregard free AV solutions, asus. ive had AVG pick up viruses that norton wasn't able to. how bout them apples?

I use Trend Micro's PC-Cillin. I think I might try Nod32 though 'cause it sounds like it comes in high regard from you guys.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
I use Trend Micro's PC-Cillin. I think I might try Nod32 though 'cause it sounds like it comes in high regard from you guys.

You know, PC-Cillin is just as good (It's the same kind of thing, and if you haven't noticed, PC-Cillin updates daily aswell).

yes well it doesn't rank the best, but it has done the job for many people i know. i doubt anyone here has actually bought nod32. :/

Kaspersky has the highest detection rate of them all...but uses LOADS of system resources. So, as other people have said, I recommend NOD32!!, light as a feather and it does the job.

Btw, just because AVG is free, it dosent mean its good:

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67
Never heard of Kaspersky. Have to check that one out.

poseyjmac said:
yes well it doesn't rank the best, but it has done the job for many people i know. i doubt anyone here has actually bought nod32. :/
Why doubt that. Don't you pay for your applications? :)

Asus said:
Why doubt that. Don't you pay for your applications? :)

never. i could never bring myself to buy a piece of software thats not a game, and im sure its true of many. except for winxp pro oem which i got for cheap at college.

all freeware solutions here. photoshop->the gimp, adobe audition->audacity, MS office->open office, nero->cd burner xp pro, and of course nod32->AVG.

but i suppose part of staying virus/spyware free is being a smart user.

I have been using NAV for the last years, but since you guys recommend nod32 I guess I might just give it a try. NAV likes resources.

If you're an IT guy or a college kid - get yourself a copy of Norton Corporate. Very nice - great protection - low system resource usage.

If I had to buy retail - I'd get the newest Norton Anti-virus package. And really - if you've got a quick pc get the Internet Security package. We sold it at my old job for 50 bucks a cd (OEM). Can't beat it.

BIG said:
If you're an IT guy or a college kid - get yourself a copy of Norton Corporate. Very nice - great protection - low system resource usage.

If I had to buy retail - I'd get the newest Norton Anti-virus package. And really - if you've got a quick pc get the Internet Security package. We sold it at my old job for 50 bucks a cd (OEM). Can't beat it.

dude were you reading all the posts befor you posted everything you said goes against with everyone else agrgeed on.

I've never heard of Norton Corporate but it is quite possible that it isn't loaded down like the consumer version.

What anti virus is best for my money?
Im not keen on spending allot of money on anti virus but i realised after my 30 day trials keep running out, i need to get a decent one that doesnt cost allot. Antivirus is something you really shouldnt skimp on.

Back