War of the Worlds? More Like HL2 the Movie!

iicehawk15

Reaction score
Anyone watched that new Tom Cruise movie, War of the Worlds, yet? Don't read any further if you don't want to risk spoilers for the movie.

In the film, these giant machines rise from the ground. With a pod/shell like head and long tentacles serving as legs, these things roam through cities and hillsides, Vapourizing everything insight using a sort of laser or phaser beam. Hmmm, sound familiar? Strider? YES! Speilberg stole this right out of HL2! These machines are complete copies of Valve's strider, from everything to appearance and weaponry (Earlier E3 videos showed the Laser beam attack).

Go watch the movie and see for yourself. Or save the money and look up some images on the net. This is video plagarism my friends. Pieces.

You've not seen the original movie/read the book have you?

HL2 is guilty of plagiarism

This is video plagarism my friends.

Although it is pretty similiar (similiar enough for me to believe that someone working on the movie said "hey stephen, look at this game HL2!) it's really more of an homage.

iicehawk15 said:
Anyone watched that new Tom Cruise movie, War of the Worlds, yet? Don't read any further if you don't want to risk spoilers for the movie.

In the film, these giant machines rise from the ground. With a pod/shell like head and long tentacles serving as legs, these things roam through cities and hillsides, Vapourizing everything insight using a sort of laser or phaser beam. Hmmm, sound familiar? Strider? YES! Speilberg stole this right out of HL2! These machines are complete copies of Valve's strider, from everything to appearance and weaponry (Earlier E3 videos showed the Laser beam attack).

Go watch the movie and see for yourself. Or save the money and look up some images on the net. This is video plagarism my friends. Pieces.

War of the worlds was around LONG before hl2 or hl1

Wow another one.

Listen to the radio version, read the book, watch the first movie or even listen to any musical remix ie Jeff Wayne's war of the worlds and you'll see.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/

The first movie only had the flyers but you get the idea. The flyers also had the same shielding system that repelled an atomic blast.

the hl2 striders im sure were taken in part from the tripods in the war of the world's story. spielberg didnt take anything from HL2. HL2 is the one that did the "copying."

You are ****ing joking right?

How can someone be so literarily ignorant?

H.G Wells wrote 'War of the Worlds' In 1898 and it featured bipedal walking death machines. In fact here are some illustrations published with the french translation of the novel at the turn of the century.

alvimcorrea31cj.jpg
alvimcorrea13ki.jpg

alvimcorrea51nr.jpg
alvimcorrea68od.jpg

gabriel said:
the hl2 striders im sure were taken in part from the tripods in the war of the world's story. spielberg didnt take anything from HL2. HL2 is the one that did the "copying."

There was also a TV series in the 70's here in England called 'Tripods' which was also based on a set of books. It was a story of fhuman rebels fighting against an alien force that enslaved humans with brain implants The aliens also had giant metal tripod walkers.

H.G Wells wrote 'War of the Worlds' In 1898 and it featured bipedal walking death machines.

That's tripedal walking death machines. :p

EDIT: I couldn't help it.

shit

shit, thanks guys, I gotta do some reading. My apologies Spielberg...

it was a great film. i'm going to have to rent the original now.

half life 2 guilty of plagarism but yet it is on of the greatest game this centuary but yet it is partialy based on two of the best classical literature ever writen both nineteen-eighty-four by George Orwell and War Of The Worlds by H.G. Wells
both great books but together who knows what valve may have unleshed (lawsuit)

* but please note none of both authors relitives have noticed so please dont make a big story out of it or valve could be in deep s**t

Heh, the idea of walking machines and a totalitarian regime aren't copyright to Orwell and Wells.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:
Heh, the idea of walking machines and a totalitarian regime aren't copyright to Orwell and Wells.

-Angry Lawyer
Amen...

Deathb4birth said:
half life 2 guilty of plagarism but yet it is on of the greatest game this centuary but yet it is partialy based on two of the best classical literature ever writen both nineteen-eighty-four by George Orwell and War Of The Worlds by H.G. Wells
both great books but together who knows what valve may have unleshed (lawsuit)

* but please note none of both authors relitives have noticed so please dont make a big story out of it or valve could be in deep s**t
What?.... 1) We all already knew that. 2) H.G. cannot copyright a tripedal concept. Orwell sure as shit cannot copyright the idea of a world where an oppressive government controls all the people... so wtf?

Kyo said:
The first movie only had the flyers but you get the idea. The flyers also had the same shielding system that repelled an atomic blast.
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but, weren’t the legs of the tripods supposed to be invisible in that movie? I seem to remember them saying that they couldn’t pull off the legs well so they opted to make them invisible instead. Anybody know for sure?

War Of The Worlds is public domain now, anyways. Not sure about 1984.

Is This Tea said:
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but, weren’t the legs of the tripods supposed to be invisible in that movie? I seem to remember them saying that they couldn’t pull off the legs well so they opted to make them invisible instead. Anybody know for sure?

Well if they did plan them to have legs it sure wouldn't have looked good at all.

Anybody remember these
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/jeff-waynes-the-war-of-the-worlds/screenshots
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/926599.asp
http://www.pixelogic.nildram.co.uk/pages/wow_screenshots.html

Back