war on piracy

john121

Reaction score
http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/01/the_war_on_game_pirates/index.html

It was estimated that more people downloaded Doom III the weekend before it was released than bought it in the first few days it was available in stores. This is the extent to which Internet piracy has affected the gaming industry. Surprisingly, piracy is a bigger deal in gaming than music, because gaming rests on much more rickety financial structures than the music industry. And as fast as you can say "DRM," we're spiraling downwards in an arms race between pirates and developers seeking to protect their code.

The crackers behind videogame piracy are far more sophisticated than those behind music or even film piracy. Successfully "cracking" a game requires a vast and sophisticated network of pirates who must break the code securing the game from piracy, and then distribute it to the Internet. For some this is a sport, with various cracking groups racing one another to release the fastest and highest quality copies of videogames. For others it is a business -the majority of videogames sold in countries like Russia and China are estimated to be pirated copies bought in market stalls.

Of course this "War on Piracy" also a game of verbal happy-slap. Pirates make various paper-thin excuses for what they do, and the videogaming industry absurdly overestimates the impact of piracy by assuming that every download of a videogame is a lost retail sale. So one must take all that is said with a pinch of salt, while at the same time realizing that piracy is indeed a major problem, especially for our industry.

Videogames may be earning upwards of $8 billion a year, but the margins involved in videogaming are such that the industry could not afford to take the massive hits that the music industry has from internet piracy. The only thing keeping the game industry from suffering as the music industry has is the fact that videogames are so large in size and unwieldy to steal. That's also why many of those who have libraries of pirated music do not have nearly as many pirated games on their hard drives.

It is still a major problem, however, and one to which the videogame industry has been rather proactive in responding. In the good old DOS days, game developers relied on rather primitive copy protection methods, such as requiring the gamer to look up codes on user manual pages. As the CD-ROM came to the fore, we found ourselves having to leave the disc in the drive in order to play, and later entering a CD key when installing the game. To date every single one of these methods has failed; they are more lip-service to security than real and effective copy protection measures.

Game developers and publishers, in a perfectly understandable attempt to protect what is theirs, are trying newer, far more invasive methods of protecting their code; some could even be described as rather shady. One of these is known as StarForce, a self labeled "advanced encryption and activation technology for CD/CD-R/DVD and electronic software distribution."

The way StarForce and a couple of its cousins does this is one of the more disturbing developments in the videogame war on piracy. StarForce installs a hidden driver onto your machine along with the game itself, without any explicit warnings. This driver is required to play the game and is not uninstalled with the game. It also has a rather disturbing tendency to re-install itself after either manual removal or cleanup using a provided tool that has to be hunted for across the Internet.

These new protection systems do not simply protect software from direct attempts to pirate it - they also proactively search out potential piracy threats on one's system and then prevent them from working. Programs such as Nero and Alcohol 120% are obvious targets here, though I have seen far more erratic and often times seemingly random tantrums taken by these systems. These range from disabling the recording device in Windows Media Player, to preventing access to the CD drive both on the software and hardware side. I usually find myself pressing the button to open the CD drive and then having to log out of Windows for it to do what it's supposed to!

The specifics of how many of these systems work is kept a secret - for obvious reasons - but the results of their usage are no secret, and can be extremely disruptive. I have even heard first hand accounts of people having to totally rebuild their computers after a nasty run in with them.

In an interview with Firing Squad, the makers of StarForce strenuously denied the fact that their driver causes problems to all but a slim minority of user systems. They then went on to state that the EULA covers them and the publishers from all liability of damage done by their copy protection. In other words, "we state that it doesn't cause problems, but if it does, we're covered by the EULA and you're not."

Being a games journalist myself, I deal with copy protection products such as StarForce and Macrovision on a regular basis, as do my peers. In addition to causing a number of close misses and problems with various reviews and previews in the past, I have had many "odd" problems related to the driver. When the makers of these copy protection systems say they cause little or no problems I nod, call them a bunch of wankers, and get down to rebuilding system after system in order to be able to do my job. At least I'm paid to do it... Joe Consumer is supposed to be doing this for fun.

While these copy protection methods are finding their way onto an increasing amount of videogames, the ironic thing is that despite all the hassle they create for honest users, they don't work all that well. I've seen as many cracked copies of "protected" videogames on the Internet as unprotected games. The real joke is the fact that the cracked versions of the games do not come with the disruptive copy protection - meaning that the pirates do not suffer the ill effects of the driver that are inflicted upon legitimate paying customers.

I await the day when copy protection affects someone who won't be prepared to sit down and take it. Then we'll see if some of the more infamous clauses in the EULA will stand up in a court of law. Until then, if your computer starts acting erratically after installing a videogame, take a peek for a hidden driver or two that you don't recognize...

Thats horrible and it goes both ways. Very sad.

Copy protection will get much worse before it gets any better.
It is possible to make games impossible to pirate, but it will be very unpleseant to at least some possible paying customers. The main problem with pc-games (and the main reason why xbox and ps2 are such popular platforms to make games for) is that for many potential customers it is less effort to pirate games than to buy them.

Things can be done to combat piracy. Online distribution systems (such as steam) increases availability and thus reduces piracy. However the most efficient ways to combat piracy is to implement unpopular features such as starforce and even grimmer anti-piracy systems.

.bog.

Pirates have been doing atrocious crimes for Hundreds of years. Pirates kill more than a 100 people a year, motivated by greed and desire. Your average kazaa kiddie however harms no-one, leave pirates alone!

There will always be a way around piracy protection. People have cracked/hacked steam games, same with this starforce. There always a way around them.

yup theres no way to stop piracy theres always a way around it

Ren.182 said:
There will always be a way around piracy protection. People have cracked/hacked steam games, same with this starforce. There always a way around them.

giant384 said:
yup theres no way to stop piracy theres always a way around it

You are wrong. Technically there is no problem implementing features that make games impossible to pirate. The techniques needed, though, will be so harsh, not to mention different, that some people will be outraged. It may turn out to be unprofitable. At least for games that are not AAA.

.bog.

Solaris said:
Pirates have been doing atrocious crimes for Hundreds of years. Pirates kill more than a 100 people a year, motivated by greed and desire. Your average kazaa kiddie however harms no-one, leave pirates alone!

Pirates are killing the pc-game industry.

.bog.

Ren.182 said:

Lovely thing about steam though, VALVe makes sure the cracked versions of games can't play with official version and then they check up on the person playing the cracked version, find their steam account, disable it. Thus the person loses if he/she invested any money into VALVe's games. Now he/she can't play in leagues or anything legit players can do.

In the end it all works out for us(honest paying folks).

DiSTuRbEd said:
Lovely thing about steam though, VALVe makes sure the cracked versions of games can't play with official version and then they check up on the person playing the cracked version, find their steam account, disable it. Thus the person loses if he/she invested any money into VALVe's games. Now he/she can't play in leagues or anything legit players can do.

In the end it all works out for us(honest paying folks).

I'm not dissing steam, i love the program. Its how all games should be distributed. But people have and will continue to crack games for it. And people who use cracked steam games, dont pay for the game or the account, they can just make a new one as soon as one gets banned.

boglito said:
You are wrong. Technically there is no problem implementing features that make games impossible to pirate. The techniques needed, though, will be so harsh, not to mention different, that some people will be outraged. It may turn out to be unprofitable. At least for games that are not AAA.

.bog.

Like I am right noe with my Windows key. Because of piracy, I now have to call Microsoft in order to renew my key because I've used it too much. How is reformatting a crime?

Qonfused said:
Like I am right noe with my Windows key. Because of piracy, I now have to call Microsoft in order to renew my key because I've used it too much. How is reformatting a crime?

they wouldnt know if you were formatting or not u could use it on anothor pc

Qonfused said:

It's not, but paying customers like yourself have to suffer the anti-piracy penalty. It sucks, but it is going to get worse. Believe me.

.bog.

I disagree that piraters kill any industry, the gaming insudtry is making more money today than it ever has.
Most of the people who pirate are the kind of people that wouldent buy the game anyway, so really not much money is being lost.

I liked an old method of anti-piracy that Codemasters used to use called FADE (They used it on Operation Flashpoint for a start.) Basically, if the program didn't detect certain things on the disk the game would start to play funny after a while. (EG Guns would hit no-where near where you aimed etc) So while you get a taste of the game soon after it would go all weird, forcing you to buiy it if you liked it.

But yeah. Piracy sucks.

Yeah i remember that, my friend lent my game and he couldnt hit stuff after a few games, i told him to go out and buy it.

I loved that game, was so cool.

I pirate a game only if I really can't afford it. I'll soon be making a lot of money, and that won't be a problem any more! :D

I think eposodic content is going to be key here.

Short cheap chunks of games.

I'm gonna come out and say it, games are too expensive. Why are they so expensive? Because they cost $10 million to make? BULLSHIT. An "A" list movie star costs more than that.

We should get people buying games in volume, "hollywood" movies cost MUCH more than games (Pulling a random title that I can remember) Titanic cost $120ish MILLION to make, and it's the highest grossing film of all time(dont quote me but the takings are near a billion)

Why?

Because everybody and their dog has seen that movie, and the price of entry is only $5-10 we need to make games high volume and low cost.

Take aftermath, it's only going to be $10-15, anybody can afford that, and it delivers more than a movie in length.

This is a stratergy that could definatlly work on consoles, and it could work with digital distrubution systems like steam.

But not everyone plays games. Most people watch movies, so they can sell them for cheaper because way more people will see/buy it.

Well, it all comes down to hacking in general. It can never really be stoped.
So I doubt piracy will ever go away.

Now, I agree that selling[/b pirated games is totaly lame.

Not suprising when the entry barrier is $50 for a game, and a "decent" PC or a $300 console.

^Ben said:
Not suprising when the entry barrier is $50 for a game, and a "decent" PC or a $300 console.
Rofl... a $300 PC wont play any recent game.

Lean to read the sentence properly.

and a "decent" PC OR A $300 console

Venmoch said:
I liked an old method of anti-piracy that Codemasters used to use called FADE (They used it on Operation Flashpoint for a start.) Basically, if the program didn't detect certain things on the disk the game would start to play funny after a while. (EG Guns would hit no-where near where you aimed etc) So while you get a taste of the game soon after it would go all weird, forcing you to buiy it if you liked it.

But yeah. Piracy sucks.

Yes..that was/is a brilliant anti - piracy system.

I'm sick of games like Splinter Cell 3 that force Starforce DRM on me, and have to check my CD every time. The pirates have already gotten around this, don't even need a cd to play, and not to mention didn't even pay for the game. There will always be a way for the pirates to circumvent the drm technology...windows vista is supposed to have DRM but most likely pirates will have it before it comes out and would have circumvented the DRM. All it does is hurt the honest buyers.

The only reason people pirate games is because games are far too expensive one-hundred Australian dollars for a game is far too much.

theSteven said:
The only reason people pirate games is because games are far too expensive one-hundred Australian dollars for a game is far too much.
Well, thats one reason. Another reason is that the ability to obtain software for free illegaly is quite easy now-a-days as well. So accessability also factors in.

WhiteZero said:
I disagree that piraters kill any industry, the gaming insudtry is making more money today than it ever has.
Most of the people who pirate are the kind of people that wouldent buy the game anyway, so really not much money is being lost.

The pc-gameing industry is getting killed by piracy. The consoleindustry is profiting since it takes more effort to pirate console games than pc games.

.bog.

They should just release "fake" cracked versions of games which reformat your computer when you install. That would rock.

I only ever played 1 pirated game and ye're probably going to ban me when you hear what is was:
half-life 1
But then I went out and bought
half-life generations
so it's all good.

Edit: Well, despite that I do think pirating is very wrong. Does anyone here think that loaning games to a friend is wrong?

Ban HIM!!!

Ive bought 3 copies of halflife so there!

theSteven said:
Why did people pirate/crack RagDoll Kung Fu then?

the issue of pirating is so complicated,

I wont lie i have played pirated games, but if they where rubbish they would be deleted and if they where good i bought them.

the problem comes with the fact that now a lot of game shops wont let you retern games anymore if you dont like / dont work on your pc. incase you steel the cd Key. However if that particular game hasnt got a demo... how am i supposed to know weather or not i am waisting £49 on something im going to hate. And if someone just happens to go oh you can borrow my version and crack it to see if you like it then its likely i would of done. And again i would buy it if i like it. Or delete if not.

personally i dont agree with pirating games. ( the above only really counts for when i was a student and had no money and had to save for a few weeks if i wanted a game)

Its the same with music though the anti piracy almost puts me off buying the legit version and i wont get it at all instead. Now i Dj, so i buy loads of vinyl, and im looking at getting a contrapsion called " final scratch" that alows you to play mp3's through your mixer ( thats the basics of it anyhow). so here is the catch, i want to buy an MP3 legit online... i go to napster... oh dear i have to use there software so thats no good for me, and it goes on and on like that for all of the online services. Now a few record lables have got the right idea, and now sell there whole back cataloge on there website for as cheap as 99p per double side ( 2 tracks from either side of vinyl) And guess what they are really mp3's that you could share with your freinds etc... but i certainly wont be i will be pointing any freinds that want a listen in the direction of the online shop as its so cheap and easy to pay.

if all online games took the idea of making games cheaper ( no packaging) and distributed like steam or the mp3's i said about above, i belive personally that a lot of pirateing would decrease. as i can see how purchasing games that you cant retern would put you off, as would buying mp3's from a website that wont alow you to put them to your phone would.

Rant over :s

DiSTuRbEd said:
Because $15 is to expensive for everyone, I guess....... :rolleyes:
Because not everyone has a cc, and live in countries where you have to basicly pay more to own a cc then rdkf itself cost.

The consoleindustry is profiting since it takes more effort to pirate console games than pc games.
True but not entirely true. It takes 20min to mod and X-Box and slap a 120gig+ hard drive in it, at which time you can just as easily download games or copy a rented one.

Grey Fox said:
Because not everyone has a cc, and live in countries where you have to basicly pay more to own a cc then rdkf itself cost.
That doesn't mean you have a right to have it though.

Perhaps more payment methods are needed - but that's not the point.

For online payments you dont even need a CC. Just get checking account and get a check-card.
Or get a PayPal CC.

Grey Fox said:

Let me bust out the tiny violin for them. Get a pre-paid card from Visa, it isn't that difficult. People just can't think of ways to get the game so they say screw it and pirate it, its sickening.

Back