war on piracy

DiSTuRbEd said:
Let me bust out the tiny violin for them. Get a pre-paid card from Visa, it isn't that difficult. People just can't think of ways to get the game so they say screw it and pirate it, its sickening.
Isn't possible.

ComradeBadger said:
That doesn't mean you have a right to have it though.

Perhaps more payment methods are needed - but that's not the point.
I never claimed that, nor, if anyone is thinking, do I claim that there is an excuse for pirating, but there are hell of a lot of reasons.

WhiteZero said:
True but not entirely true. It takes 20min to mod and X-Box and slap a 120gig+ hard drive in it, at which time you can just as easily download games or copy a rented one.
And after some time emulators become available. That also gives a (smaller than PC pirating) impact.

BTW I only pirate games if they seem good. If they are good, I buy them. If they suck, I'm happy I didn't buy it :D

Well, by the time you can emulate a system on your PC, that console isnt really pulling any money in. Like right now there really arent any well-operating PS2, XBox or GC emulators. However, PlayStation and N64 emulators work quite well, but those systems arent even for sale anymore.

ComradeBadger said:
Why did people pirate/crack RagDoll Kung Fu then?

LOL the real question is y on earth would u ever want to pirate taht game

What about ROMs(for NSES games and such), are they OK? I say yes because they are near impossible to obtain anymore.

yet look at these new companies netficks and blockbuster online, where you pay 15 dollars to rent as many DVDs as you want. Now, most people in the U.S. that I know rent these, burn them with DVD burners and send them back. This is happening all over the U.S. and nothing is being done about it, and yes the same is being done with civ4 right now as I type this.. being copied over and over while we pay 50 bucks for it. Starforce is NOT the answer... lower prices for games are.

Beerdude26 said:
BTW I only pirate games if they seem good. If they are good, I buy them. If they suck, I'm happy I didn't buy it :D

Anything wrong with just cross-referencing reviews?

jondy said:
Anything wrong with just cross-referencing reviews?
I do that too, but there's also nothing wrong with checking it out yourself ;), as long as you buy it afterwards.

(Checking out would mean finishing the game and liking the MP, not having a quick look, that's what I do with most games [and find out they aren't worth the cash :p])

EDIT : Oh, and I use this technique because money for me is few and far between :p

I find that when i've bought a game, i appreciate it, play it and enjoy it allot more than if i warezed it. Because i've invested my hard-earned money into that entertainment.

I'll admit it, I have pirated those old games you can't buy in stores.
Piracy is impossible to stop it the way they are before... they need to target directly, its not stopping the pirates, but finding them.

I tend to demo with it, or just try out a game I can't find, or know I would never buy, just to see what its like.

Are we moving on about abandonware?

I tend to buy my games - at least, my really, really big games. I just 'aquire' games from 'unregistered' sources.

Piracy is unstoppable at the moment... but will it last? I doubt it.

Sorry, my previous post was a bit munted it should of read "The only reason I pirate games is because games are far too expensive one-hundred Australian dollars for a game is far too much."

Around 90% of my games are originals, those other 10% are abandonware, albeit I know even abandonware is illegal, but I only downloaded'em because I couldn't find'em in the stores nor on eBay.:)
And I own around 200 original games, but not all of those are from like this generation, I've got tons of NES and Sega Genesis games.:p

theSteven said:
Sorry, my previous post was a bit munted it should of read "The only reason I pirate games is because games are far too expensive one-hundred Australian dollars for a game is far too much."

I have to agree, games are too expensive considering they are sold in such hudge quantity's these day's.. and they do encourage pirating, mostly from those who dont have to money to fling around.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Let me bust out the tiny violin for them. Get a pre-paid card from Visa, it isn't that difficult. People just can't think of ways to get the game so they say screw it and pirate it, its sickening.

You mean a debit card. Which either leeches directly from your saving account, or you transfer funds to it's own account.

theSteven said:

No kidding. Last game I bought was Ridge Racer for my PSP $75 AUD. That's nearly 1/4 of the cost of the actual unit itself. I was intending to grab Lumines at the time aswell. Aint going to happen.

i don't mind the $100AU price tag (and i buy alot of games, but i'm fairly well off), but i think it would be neat/nice to lower it to around $75-85AU for launch titles (friends and the general public would buy alot more) and possibly slightly delay the marking down of price.

Guyz I can't afford a ferrari! I'm going to steal it!

Jeez, not being able to afford it, is not an excuse.

^Ben said:
not being able to afford it, is not an excuse.

QFT. Those of you trying to justify stealing software because you haven't the funds to buy all the games you're looking at need to pack it in.

I've warezed shit before, but I didn't do it under the pretence of being too poor to abstain.

Solaris said:
Pirates have been doing atrocious crimes for Hundreds of years. Pirates kill more than a 100 people a year, motivated by greed and desire. Your average kazaa kiddie however harms no-one, leave pirates alone!
Do you know where the term 'pirate' comes from?

It was a bit like cracking a screen-saver, really...

Back