Water effect (Flooding/Rivers)

• Thread starter jackofthetrade32
  • Start date
Mr.Sweenie of Epic games said that one of the Unreal 3 engines capablilties will be fluid dynamics and soft body physics.

Unreal Engine 3.0 having entire dynamic fluid? I doubt it, unless he was talking about 3.0 in the later years of its development.

Turbulent flow isn't a problem. Irregular fluctuations and/or mixing can be controlled with correct alg properties, as long as the viscosity in poise, the density, and radius of the ejecting flow are input correctly. All of which can be done easily.

Navier-Stokes/Cauchy eqns are way too complicated. Simulated fluids wouldn't need to be precise enough to have perfect flow patterns. That'd take a supercomputer.... if you could even solve the differential equations at that point :-P. I saw a java-based flow-field program once that was pretty good (and fast, too). You can treat the flow like potentials and sort of set up boundaries and average them out from there...

Anyway, yeah, the blob method is good enough to simulate for now. Still too processor-intensive though :| .

the source engine is so powerful i think that when you turn on a faucet it should emit individual molecules of h2o, each one cohereing to the next using real time hydrogen bonding, and therefor forming water droplets. </sarcasm>

What? Didn't you know? The HL2 source engine will be able to calculate the entire universe, on a molecular level while you play the game. In fact, if you wait around for a couple hundred years, the world in HL2 will actually evolve and they will invent space ships so you can explore the 100,000,000,000,000+ solar systems out there! </more sarcasm>

I'm a programmer and I know I could do it if I had there code with their authorization.
You probably don't have a clue what you're talking about. On the other hand, I've seen some rather impressive real-time fluid dynamics in action from an unnamed source.

Pibborando San said:
What? Didn't you know? The HL2 source engine will be able to calculate the entire universe, on a molecular level while you play the game. In fact, if you wait around for a couple hundred years, the world in HL2 will actually evolve and they will invent space ships so you can explore the 100,000,000,000,000+ solar systems out there! </more sarcasm>
you mean subatomic levels :p

yah know, sod water, what I'd like to see is realistic wind.

Back