We have found a colony planet for when we inevitably leave the earth a lifeless husk

In my country there is a expression that roughly translates to "you found hot water"
This means that when someone does the latter he doesn't do anything meaningful or useful :)

What is the boiling point of the water on that planet? Being so large, it's probably ridiculously high.

What is the boiling point of the water on that planet? Being so large, it's probably ridiculously high.

Just because there is alot of water doesn't mean it boils at a higher point, unless I've been misinformed? Also it's probably toxic with tons of shitty chemicals in it.

Yes but it says in the article they aren't sure of its composition, they just assume it's similar to other terrestrial planets.

I wonder how deep the oceans are, the article says "extraordinarily" so.

If there's life on this thing, it's not any kind that has ever been seen on Earth.

What excites me most about this is that if we've found a planet COVERED in water after only a few tries with this new telescope (only around the 400th extrasolar planet ever discovered), not only must terrestrial water-bearing planets be incredibly common in the universe, but that also implies that LIFE must be relatively common, even if this planet is lifeless.

actually i don't think it's from a new telescope.

the Kepler satellite is still working and it will take a couple of years for first results, but testing was very promising and it works very good. so keeping my fingers crossed.

Just because there is alot of water doesn't mean it boils at a higher point, unless I've been misinformed? Also it's probably toxic with tons of shitty chemicals in it.

Water under pressure boils at a higher temperature. The boiling point on the surface would be close to normal if you discount atmospheric pressure differences. However, with the 6x gravity and supposedly much deeper oceans, water pressure down there would increase even more dramatically than it does on Earth. If the water's heat source was the core of the planet rather than its sun, it would become superheated (i.e., remaining liquid far beyond the Earth STP boiling point), and I dunno, maybe rise to the surface and turn to gas somewhere down the line.

Sounds very, very steamy at any rate.

Unless we can successfully exploit/mine/drill/dig the shit out of this new planet, I'm not impressed. They better find ways to completely suck the oceans dry to gather natural resources.

On another note, this is awesome. :D

Water under pressure boils at a higher temperature. The boiling point on the surface would be close to normal if you discount atmospheric pressure differences. However, with the 6x gravity and supposedly much deeper oceans, water pressure down there would increase even more dramatically than it does on Earth. If the water's heat source was the core of the planet rather than its sun, it would become superheated (i.e., remaining liquid far beyond the Earth STP boiling point), and I dunno, maybe rise to the surface and turn to gas somewhere down the line.

Sounds very, very steamy at any rate.

Ah, then I HAVE been misinformed.

No not really I was tying to look smart but ****ed up. :cheese:

Unless we can successfully exploit/mine/drill/dig the shit out of this new planet, I'm not impressed. They better find ways to completely suck the oceans dry to gather natural resources.

On another note, this is awesome. :D

so we can rule the vast cosmic empire of nothingness? i thought so

How can there be water if it's so hot? Wouldn't it... boil up?

And how do they not it's water, anyway? Couldn't it be another liquid? Like gold? Imagine that, a planet of nothing but liquid gold.

If it didn't have an atmoshphere, I dont think it'd have liquid water.

and do you realize how big this is? This is huge! A planet with LIQUID WATER.

How can there be water if it's so hot? Wouldn't it... boil up?

And how do they not it's water, anyway? Couldn't it be another liquid? Like gold? Imagine that, a planet of nothing but liquid gold.

yep but there's higher pressure so water requires a higher temperature to boil.

the presence of water is an estimate based on the planet's density which is lower than that of earth.

CITIZENS OF NEW ATLANTIS, I BRING GREETINGS FROM OUR BROTHERS, THE CRABMEN!

We're running out of land!

I just noticed this thread, must read.

CITIZENS OF NEW ATLANTIS, I BRING GREETINGS FROM OUR BROTHERS, THE CRABMEN!

atlantisu.jpg

This is quite awesome, its our first potential saviour planet.

Where's Kirk and the Enterprise when you need them.

Seriously, if we dont invent warp technology soon, we're ***ked.

They even get hurling a small ship into space wrong sometimes, and thats on god-only-knows-how-much fuel each time.

By they I mean, of course, NASA.

'The Mars Lander...I did the calculations in feet, but I programmed the lander in metres...so instead of landing, ***ker buried! 500-million-dollar-woopsie!'

We have no hope...

yep but there's higher pressure so water requires a higher temperature to boil.

the presence of water is an estimate based on the planet's density which is lower than that of earth.
Ah, I should have read the thread before posting. Thanks. BTW, shouldn't this be huge news? I would think that finding water on an extraterrestrial planet is a rather large discovery.

Still, isn't the density of water the highest everywhere, 4 °C? If so, one only has to dive in deeper in the ocean to find cooler water and thus a higher likelyhood for life.

I think it's great that it's only 42 light-years away, it's actually plausible that we might one day be able to go there.

What excites me most about this is that if we've found a planet COVERED in water after only a few tries with this new telescope (only around the 400th extrasolar planet ever discovered), not only must terrestrial water-bearing planets be incredibly common in the universe, but that also implies that LIFE must be relatively common, even if this planet is lifeless.
It would be the greatest scientific discovery of all time. (I guess) Pretty exciting. But I want to see them.
Which goes to show that human beings are still animals, no matter how far we manage to move forward with our technology.
But we'll be able to observe these creatures from a safe distance. Get the jump on them - if necessary.

Really, haven't you ever watched a space film? We would probably die instantly from contagious germs, cleaning out all life on Earth.. actually, it would be an all out battle for the Earth between earth germs and space germs. God damn.

... I mean if we brought some back with us. But what if our decontamination chambers were useless against them!

Good thing we're warming up our planet. Otherwise we wouldn't have the experience to survive once we make it to that other planet!
How are we going to cool it though? That's too ****ing hot for anything, **** that. At least for our species. What materials would we build floating cities with? Special robotic diving suits to retrieve resources from under the surface.

Also, we need to figure out how to assist in global cooling... well, we can block out the sun but the planet might be all water and lava. What if there is no land at all? That's kind of peculiar. It would be interesting to have watched that planet form (or any planet for that matter) in extreme time lapse video.

I can't believe nobodies realised that the fact the water levels are so high and the temperatures are so hot that global warming there is many years ahead of our own planet.

WTF is the point of going to a planet like that?

And anyway, cos its just one big ocean, everyone would piss in the water and that wouldn't be nice, now, would it?!!?

Water boiling point is based off of atmospheric pressure. Like when we know that water boils at 100 degrees Celsius, that is not universal. It's based off atmospheric pressure. And that happens to be one atmospheric pressure.

You know how you have to adjust your cooking based on how high or low in altitude you are(recipes on packages and stuff talk about this)... it's based on that atmospheric pressure which is lowered or increased depending on your altitude since the higher you are, the less atmosphere there is bearing down on you and so thus less atmospheric pressure and lower boiling point.

Since this planet is so large... 6 times as large, it's going to have an atmospheric pressure far different than our own atmosphere and thus its boiling point is going to be different. It's going to be higher, possibly much higher. And so at whatever atmospheric pressure it's at, that water may not even be boiling, it may just be very hot.

I don't know what the formula is or what the atmospheric pressure of that planet is, so that's why I was curious.

EDIT: I checked the next page after your post and saw that Mutoid_Man has explained it. Thanks dude :D

:LOL:

zombieturtle said:
How are we going to cool it though? That's too ****ing hot for anything, **** that. At least for our species. What materials would we build floating cities with? Special robotic diving suits to retrieve resources from under the surface.

Also, we need to figure out how to assist in global cooling... well, we can block out the sun but the planet might be all water and lava. What if there is no land at all? That's kind of peculiar. It would be interesting to have watched that planet form (or any planet for that matter) in extreme time lapse video.

I have no clue. I wasn't entirely serious with my post anyway since our global warming isn't going to be anywhere near the extremes of that planet. I'm sure we'd have technology to withstand those types of temperatures and survive there, albeit a harsh existence.

Maybe we could live like... up in orbit of the planet or something, far enough away to be cooled enough to have an easier time surviving, while having some sort of technology to transport up resources from floating cities.

I have no idea how cool it would be orbiting the planet compared to being down on it however.

I'm beginning to think that we really ARE alone

:(

"There are only two alternatives: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are mind-boggling."- Arthur C. Clarke.

Though how exactly you derived that we must be the only life in the universe from the discovery of a possibly life-sustaining planet, I've no idea.

Really, haven't you ever watched a space film? We would probably die instantly from contagious germs, cleaning out all life on Earth.. actually, it would be an all out battle for the Earth between earth germs and space germs. God damn.

... I mean if we brought some back with us. But what if our decontamination chambers were useless against them!

lol. Hollywood science.
"space germs" would have no way of harming us. A bacteria or virus has to evolve in order to be pathogenic to a species - otherwise all diseases on earth would be able to infect all species. This clearly isn't the case. So why would space germs be able to infect us better than, say, bluetongue disease?

Whether he means in this galaxy or in the universe, I do not know.

He's ascertained that we are indeed alone do to the prime real estate opportunity of this planet not being taken advantage of. There's no signs of resort establishment anywhere on it, as far as we can tell anyway.

If other life indeed existed in this galaxy, this planet would have been heavily colonized and converted into a busy vacation hub where races from the rest of the galaxy come to visit and cruise the scorching ocean. Floating cities would have been constructed with artificial environmentally controlled beaches, dotting the entirety of the planet.

As none of this exists, from what we can tell... we are indeed alone in this galaxy!

He's ascertained that we are indeed alone do to the prime real estate opportunity of this planet not being taken advantage of. There's no signs of resort establishment anywhere on it, as far as we can tell anyway.

If other life indeed existed in this galaxy, this planet would have been heavily colonized and converted into a busy vacation hub where races from the rest of the galaxy come to visit and cruise the scorching ocean. Floating cities would have been constructed with artificial environmentally controlled beaches, dotting the entirety of the planet.

As none of this exists, from what we can tell... we are indeed alone in this galaxy!

Or, you know, everyone else is as scientifically developed as us.

Or, you know, they're raised not to live for the struggle of material comfort.

Or, you know, everyone else is as scientifically developed as us.

Or, you know, their raised not to live for the struggle of material comfort.

NO! Do not destroy my vision of highly advanced corporatist species populating the universe marketing barren planets as desirable vacation destinations to gullible aliens!

has no one seen 'The Abyss'?

it's the alien's homeworld!

james_cameron02.jpg

EDIT: I checked the next page after your post and saw that Mutoid_Man has explained it. Thanks dude :D

thanksbro.png

... and thanks to Vegeta for supplying the animation that led to this image macro.

We should send our new found water friends a message!!

anyway this is really cool news and I hope we can visit there someday. Personally I think its time we start spreading out. even before we fix our problems on Earth we can only get better at doing that. I would have thought the Centauri system would have been ideal for searching for life considering its really close to us but who knows, maybe the Sun's sibling is closer than we think.

You all get your grimy hands away from my jacuzzi.

Just think how easy it would be to cook on that planet. The water is ready. Hopefully the seafood is already cooked.

Any observation about "planets" is within this galaxy. The nearest galaxy is thousands light year away. There is no way we can observe planets in neighboring galaxies. Our own galaxy is as large as a hundred thousand light years, containing hundred billions of stars. Even if the probability of life in a star-planet system is 0.000001%, life should still be very common within our galaxy. Yet, since each star is as distant as a few light years away from each other. It would be very likely that no life on a planet system has ever met another life-form in another planet system.

Any observation about "planets" is within this galaxy. The nearest galaxy is thousands light year away. There is no way we can observe planets in neighboring galaxies. Our own galaxy is as large as a hundred thousand light years, containing hundred billions of stars. Even if the probability of life in a star-planet system is 0.000001%, life should still be very common within our galaxy. Yet, since each star is as distant as a few light years away from each other. It would be very likely that no life on a planet system has ever met another life-form in another planet system.

Yes, I know that.

My post was... light hearted.

Back