"We want Adrian Shephard back!" petition

altceva

Spy
Reaction score
Well, talking and arguing on forums about what's cannon or not, if we would see Shephard in the future or not ... is pointless.

Let's start somewhere. I wonder how many Half Life fans really want any slightest reference of Shephard in the next Half Life games. I'm not a huge fan of Adrian (I like Gordon more), but I would really (as in really, really, really) love to see how big is Adrian's crowd. So, start signing please:

"We want Adrian Shephard back!" Petition

Note: english is not my language, and the way I wrote the petition could be a bit rough. If any of you think there is need of improvement in the petition's text, please advice me, and correct me with whatever may sound improper. If this works and if we raise a lot of signatures, I intend to advance the petition to Valve. Who knows, maybe we will be heard!

Also, I would like to thank to any moderator who might help at this by stikying it somewhere (wherever he thinks it's best). I am serious and I really want to take this action into developing and any help would do.

Let's spread the word into Half Life community. Maybe we'll get an easter egg in Half Life 5, a toy-soldier on a desk in an abandoned room with this inscription on the back: Adrian Shephard, corporal, HECU Corps. I would die happy after that. :)

cool, i signed it. I'd really love to see 'ol shep back out of stasism

I won't sign a petition--because petitions never work--but I would like to see Shephard's return.

It will work if we gather 500k signatures. Valve won't ignore it. There is nothing to lose, only to win, they pay attention to fans and we will worship them. :)

Yes, it won't work if people will think like you. If you truly like to see any reference of Shephard in the future, then sign. No matter if it works or not. Trust me, we are many! :D

I'll sign even though I have no clue who he is. Wasn't he Opposing Force?

Sorry for my noobishness; I only recently got into the Half-Life Series from Orange Box on Christmas Day :3

I'll sign even though I have no clue who he is. Wasn't he Opposing Force?

Sorry for my noobishness; I only recently got into the Half-Life Series from Orange Box on Christmas Day :3

Yeah, he's from Opposing Force

You play as Adrian Shephard in the game Half Life: Opposing force. This is an add-on mod made under Valve license, along with another mod, Half Life: Blue Shift ( where you play as a Black Mesa security guard, Barney Calhoun).

If you will play and like the original Half Life game, then you probably should get the add-ons too. They fit quite well into the story.

I'm down, but only because I want to see Samon implode if Valve brings him back.

I was the one who signed it as "dssadasdasdasdasdasdasdas asfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfdasfd"

I thought of Steam forums. But my main problem is that I just found out that one can sign writing any fictional e-mail adress. :(
Damn!

Is there a petition site which can track IP and stuff like that, so one person could only sign once? I want this thing to be fair if it is to be shown to Valve. I mean, I don't want 2 milion signatures with just 100 of them belonging to fans. Any help, please?

Not signed. If he's coming back, he's coming back. Forcing him would only rape the character.

Ill sign it, just in the fond hope that he comes back for us to kill.

Not signed. If he's coming back, he's coming back. Forcing him would only rape the character.

Because they had to force the return without waiting for any kind of creative opening to put him in?

Why do you all like Adrian Shepard? He had as much personality as a brick. All he did was interact with stereotypical marines the entire game.

At least Gordon has interesting characters around him.

As well, you might want to post this on the Steam forums, if you haven't yet.

What? So your saying if the people you talk to don't have emotion you don't? Gordon and Adrian are the same in the way that there silent.

There's no reason to sign the petition. He'll come back one day. Valve knows how much potential he has. In short: Shephard games = money, and Valve needs money to stay alive.

Where the f**k is Samon? Isn't he obsessed with OF?

Seriously, do you know anything about marketing strategy? You can't just bring back something special because someone asked for it. I want to see Shephard again too, but not now. Give Valve some time.

Shephard has no place to fit into the current story arc and no petition will change that.

We wouldn't ask for a story change. Read again the petition text. I'm pretty sure that just a small reference will do. A picture, someone telling you about him like 20 seconds, a briefly appearance somewhere...that wouldn't hurt their plot.
They would do it for us, for the fans. The developers are not paid by Gearbox, but I'm pretty sure that Half Life forums will explode in arguments and every player will try to find a new theory, just because this game is f*cking awesome! Valve doesn't lose on this one. At all.

We wouldn't ask for a story change. Read again the petition text. I'm pretty sure that just a small reference will do. A picture, someone telling you about him like 20 seconds, a briefly appearance somewhere...that wouldn't hurt their plot.
They would do it for us, for the fans. The developers are not paid by Gearbox, but I'm pretty sure that Half Life forums will explode in arguments and every player will try to find a new theory, just because this game is f*cking awesome! Valve doesn't lose on this one. At all.

I don't care about that Shepard dude but I would sign the petetion just because your avatar contains a kitten.:p

Why not? Let's say I find a good petition system, for people only vote once. We gather 200.000 sigantures in one year, perhaps faster if we spread the word efficiently. Let's say some people, HALF of this number signed blindly in their pursuit for clicking a button. It still remains the other half, 100.000 half life players that really would likde to see a small reference of Shephard. Would Valve ignore 100.000 fans?

I feel that the only reference that would work would be an ex Marine, with a photograph of his unit on a wall with Shephard in it, and we don't know what he really looked like beneath that mask. Otherwise, I don't think Shephard ever had the chance to make the same worldwide celebrity status that Gordon apparently did, being just a Marine before he was taken into custody by the G-Man.

I'm not sighning I just want to say that, Calhoun, we dont know what Gordon looks like in game do we? All we see is renders of him. Just my two cents

Gabe's already said he likes Adrian and will "get around to him" at some point in the future.

Petition in this case is double-useless.

I'm not sighning I just want to say that, Calhoun, we dont know what Gordon looks like in game do we? All we see is renders of him. Just my two cents

Those two cents weren't worth particularly much.

To quote myself from an earlier thread:
IMO it should be a bannable offence to make adrian sheperd threads on the grounds of:

A) They never, ever make sense.
B) He is not going to be coming back anytime soon, not in episode three. Valve aren't that dumb.
C) If we are very lucky, he won't come back ever. Most of OpFor was shit, Adrian sheperd eats shit and he is eating shit in the gmans freaky dimension.

Thank you for listeneing.

Thats not to say he shouldn't come back, but it won't be anytime soon. I am so freaking tired of going on the forums everyday and there is someone going "lolz wat about sheperd". This thread isn't so bad mind you, because OP can actually use simple sentances, unlike the last sheperd thread.

As I told you in the first post, I'm not a huge fan of Shephard. And yes, I totally agree that Shephard threads, among G-man threads, suck big time. But that doesn't imply those two characters suck.

To state so simply that Opposing Force was shit is a little bit rough, I think. It wasn't pretty much different of the original Half Life, same gameplay, same story, same universe. Gearbox really did a great job and as for an add-on, it went pretty well. Adrian Shepard was, like Gordon, a survivor in those critical moments when the resonance cascade took place. Someone above wrote that Shephard doesn't have personality and the lack of characters around him is making him a poor character. Well, what's the difference between Shephard and Freeman? Remember, we are talking about the story in the year 1999, long before HL2 was released. Freeman had the same "brick" personality as Shephard in the original game. To simply state that Opposing Force main character sucks is unfair. Why is that? Because you're a Valve fan? Because you hate all these kiddies who daily create new threads with moron ideas that we should see Shephard on Borealis in the form of and android boss talking with G-man?

Sorry for double post, I got plenty of errors trying to post this.

I'm very curious, why wouldn't make sense for a reference of Shepard to be seen/heard in the next Half Life games? Why? G-man put him "asleep" just like he did with Freeman. Yes, it wouldn't make sense for VALVE'S MARKETING IDEA, but in the story, Shephard would fit anywere, he had "potential", and just like Freeman, he was a survivor. And again, why would Valve be "dumb" to bring a reference of a character that (however stupid may seem) has many fans, even if that character is not created by them. I must repeat myself: they would do it for us, for the fans, they would bring 20 seconds of Shephard in some other character's dialogue. They would put, like I said, a toy-soldier on a desk. They would put a photo on a wall. Anything small, which doesn't really affect their story. There is no need to see Shephard in the flesh. Certailny Valve has the potential to bring just the specific information about Shephard and make us all happy. Oh, yes, that would be "shitty, dumb, stupid" and so on. So stupid to do something for the fans. Omg, how could they ask such a shit?

G-man put him "asleep" just like he did with Freeman.

Yes, but for entirely different reasons. The G-man was reminded "of himself" by Sheperd and so decided to detain him rather than kill him, while Freeman was put asleep so he would be able to appear in 20 years time without aging.

As for saying that gearbox did a good job on opposing force, that is just laughable. New enemies and weapons that made no logical sense were added, without even an explanation. Take that telelporter gun for example. We see in the lambda core that the scientists need to use huge teleporters that require several minutes to power just to get to Xen, while this ridiculous gun takes you right there instantly. Then there is "race-x" and the black ops...they were both awful...it was not explained who race x were, why they were here, where they went afterwards or any of that...the black ops were even more stupid, attacking US marines for reasons that are never explained to us (read: gearbox were too lazy to use that grey matter up there and so just added in some random enemies). And that boss battle at the end (although HL's was no better).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed parts of Op4. And the gameplay and the like wasn't that bad. Op4 had so much potential. To see it from the other side of the equation. But we don't. We end up working with scientists, and being attacked by our own forces for no reason...gearbox really cocked it up.

Well, you're clearly judging Opposing Force too hursh.

At the time the game was made, there was no Combine in the story. Gearbox's Race X was coming with the resonance cascade from another world. Simply as that. The explanation was in the facts, Race X was also coming through that belly portal created by the boss in the end of the game. The boss might be a leader creature from Xen. Many years after, Marc Laidlaw changed the story, saying that there was no life on Xen and so on. But when the game was released, in that plot, was making perfect sense.

The portal gun was an experimental weapon. As you can see, it takes you randomly in various Xen and Black Mesa locations, without knowing where you will be next. The main portal which sends Freeman to Xen takes several minutes to charge because it has fixed coordonates in space & time dimensions. If Shepard jumps through the portal Freeman jumps, he is clearly a few meters away, falling into the abyss.

Gerbox weren't so dumb as you think. Be more reasonable, it was the year 1999. Opposing Force was anything but shit.

Back