Weekly Steam News (02/09/05)

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
This week's Steam news is up, and with it comes some official information on how DoD:Source is going to ship.

Day of Defeat: Source will be released this month. While we're not quite ready to pin down the exact date of when it will be available to play, we are confident that it will happen in September. Once we do have an exact date and time for when the game will be activated, we'll let everyone know. [br] [br] There will be a period of one week at minimum during which people will be able to pre-order and preload the game via Steam, giving them the ability to unlock and play at the moment it is activated. [br] [br] Day of Defeat: Source will be available as an individual purchase via Steam, as well as part of the Counter-Strike: Source retail package that will be available at stores around the same time. Half-Life 2: Silver and Gold package customers will automatically be able to play. [br] [br] In the meantime, here are two of the player models from the game -- the Allied Rifleman and the Axis Panzerschreck.
[br]

[br]Restart Steam or click here to see for yourself.

It has to be out by next Friday or else that magazine article was wrong about us playing it before the magazine is released.

Oh noes valve can't let the magazine be wrong!!

Sentinelrv said:
It has to be out by next Friday or else that magazine article was wrong about us playing it before the magazine is released.
Actually they said it "should" be out by the time you read this, september seems pretty dry so at least this is something but I've never been a fan of dod or ww2 games that focus on realism over fun.

Guess it's time to upgrade my ATi HL2 Bronze to Silver...

It's probably going to end up being released on Sept. 30. :eek:

ok that is bs - cs source package that also contains dods... this is bad product placement from them. How wonderful it will be to have 2 copies of cs source when i purchase the package...

PoeticRocker said:
ok that is bs - cs source package that also contains dods... this is bad product placement from them. How wonderful it will be to have 2 copies of cs source when i purchase the package...

I think you can get it off Steam seperately too. Also, if the CS:S retail package has 2 seperate CD-key's for DoD and CS, you could sell the CS one.

wow those models are great ..the hair on the allied soldier is especially realistic ..although I cant help think the uniforms dont quite match up with the detailed faces ...just looks a little odd to me ..but it looks great and I cant wait till I finally get to play

Those models look awesome! I've gotten pretty excited over this one lately.

Wow, those models are amazing! The second one is especially impressive! This is making me want to play this game. Thank you Valve, you guys rock!

Dont flame me. I know it didnt mention anything about the Collector's Edition of HL2, but thats what I purchased. Does that mean ill still have to purchase DOD:S seperate? I don't mind forking up the cash, and will get this regardless. Just curious.

I find it funny that SO MANY people were like "OMFG VALVE YOU GUYS ARE PURE SHIT YOUR MODELS ****ING BLOW ASS!!!!11" all over the place even though people would say "those are just placeholders". Now they can just shut their mouths. I know that people will still bitch about this game like they do with CS:S with problems that don't really exist.
I never got into DOD (although was playing some today for the first time in a while), But I'm really looking forward to this now. The videos look sweet. Their is just one thing I'm hoping that's in the game that probably won't be, but then it's no real big deal because it doesn't add much to the overall game play... That is when a player yells something to his team, his lips move... Probably asking for too much though.

I also have never played DoD or CS but now iam playing CS:S all day long and i hope i will play DoD:S all night long as well.

But,.. *fear*
I hope i will get the game fast if i buy it over steam cause i live in Austria (in Europe).

I'm glad to see Valve is ready to push this one out. Which means more resources can be spent on other projects. Like Lost Coast and Aftermath.

the haircut on the allied soldier is a very nice touch (especially since I v just watched Band of Brothers where the soldiers have similar haircut) the cloths look very blury for some reason, still very very nice.

now maybe I sound ungratefull.... but whats about anon CSS included retaile packege?
Mybe making a HL: S +DOD:S + someothere thing for retaile people?
Becouse I relly want DOD: S seperetly without anothere CSS game....
Valve are relly going against the retaile guys here.......

Read the news. DoD:S will be released standalone as well.

that new SAS model looks really sweet in CS:S too! im glad they finally released it

lol yes, read before you post stupid things like this!

Day of Defeat: Source will be available as an individual purchase via Steam,...

Character models look uber good, I cant wait! :D

Wesisapie said:
that new SAS model looks really sweet in CS:S too! im glad they finally released it
He's on his way but he got lost in The Lost Coast!!

Ok, DOD:S will be released "this month"? Sometime in "September"? Valve, you have 30 days. You know you've messed up before, so after all that shit, you get one more chance. Remember, 30 days....GO!

hmm this IS valve guys, so make it beginning of october before Lost Coast or DoD:S are released...although i hope they pull their fingers out their arses and release them on the date they are soon to announce

Inflame007 said:
now maybe I sound ungratefull.... but whats about anon CSS included retaile packege?
Mybe making a HL: S +DOD:S + someothere thing for retaile people?
Becouse I relly want DOD: S seperetly without anothere CSS game....
Valve are relly going against the retaile guys here.......

Poor you getting CS Source free:upstare:

loadqm said:
Guess it's time to upgrade my ATi HL2 Bronze to Silver...

It's probably going to end up being released on Sept. 30. :eek:

You mind tellin me how that is possible? I am curious since i want to upgrade as well

Bah! In the stores with CS:S?! I already have CS:S, it came with HL2! And buying it over Steam is no option for me, I'm NOT willing to get myself a Credit Card, so I can buy a game. And no, I don't know anyone that has a Credit Card I can borrow.
GJ Valve!

Juggy said:
Bah! In the stores with CS:S?! I already have CS:S, it came with HL2! And buying it over Steam is no option for me, I'm NOT willing to get myself a Credit Card, so I can buy a game. And no, I don't know anyone that has a Credit Card I can borrow.
GJ Valve!

Whining about not having a credit card (and not knowing anybody that do, no less!) is like whining about not having the internet. This is 2005 baby, you can crawl out of your cave, or you can stay there. It actually is up to you.

Whining about dod:s coming bundled w/cs:s ... wow, you guys REALLY know how to whine.

.bog.

ps. btw, don't they have debitcards outside of europe?

And buying it over Steam is no option for me, I'm NOT willing to get myself a Credit Card,
lol thats your problem.

Its like saying: I want to have a car but im NOT going to pay for it!

I have the same problem as Juggy. Well i have no CreditCard cause i just turned 18, so..
And i also have HL2 and CS:S twice!!!

There are other great alternatives for payment, and that all of you Americans have Credit Cards, doesn't mean the whole world does. In Europe, Credit Cards ain't that big like in America. So just think out of the box will you.

TheMastahC said:
I find it funny that SO MANY people were like "OMFG VALVE YOU GUYS ARE PURE SHIT YOUR MODELS ****ING BLOW ASS!!!!11" all over the place even though people would say "those are just placeholders". Now they can just shut their mouths.
Not to be a dick, but at the time those WERE the models. They weren't placeholders back then. valve later on decided they should redo them as the crap models didn't fit in with everything else (its in an article or review somewhere). As a matter of fact, alot of the driving force behind the decision to dump those models was probably the feedback from the very people that said the models they had so far were crap. It's also a large reason the game has been delayed for so long since initially they had planned to just update models over time, instead they decided to release a finished product. The right decision if you ask me.

As for shipping with Counter Strike. Who cares it wont hurt. I bought the platinum pack even though I had CS, HL1 and OF. God I wish they had removed them from the box so I didnt have spare CD's. Seriously what does it matter, I doubt it'll cost a whole heap more and to be honest Valve should be trying to shift people from CS1 to CS: s since thats what they are currently maintaining. I see no negatives to this decision at all.

You can always get a debit card though (except maybe if you're not 18 yet). Go to the bank and ask for a Visa Electron or other card that doesn't cost a yearly fee.

ĐynastҰ said:
hmm this IS valve guys, so make it beginning of october before Lost Coast or DoD:S are released...although i hope they pull their fingers out their arses and release them on the date they are soon to announce

Don't be such a twat, Valve probably work harder than any other game developer. Just because they had a lot of problems with HL2 doesn't mean they miss every release date. Idiot

Back