Weekly Steam News (04/02/05)

jesus, that looks like that level will tear my hardware apart.

but we will have to see it in game.

Pocky Power said:
jesus, that looks like that level will tear my hardware apart.

but we will have to see it in game.

None of those are in game, they are all concept art. So its hard to judge what they will be like.

To showcase this we've taken a part of the Highway 17 chapter of Half-Life 2 and worked it into a single level that incorporates HDR along with some new gameplay.

NEW GAMEPLAY? Did everyone miss that?!? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Along with some new gameplay

I wonder what they mean by that, if anything at all...Btw, HDR is going to be awesome

Would I need a radeon X850 to use hdr or will a 9800XT do fine?

I'm sure the 9800's can do it as long as you lower the resolutions and lower some texture details.

EDIT: I'm getting a new PC with a geforce 6800gt, with SLI, so I can buy a 2nd one later. Will I be able to run the new HDR levels, or am I ****ed for life?

Also, I researched HDR, I'm pretty sure it not only has more range but more detail.

I have a GeForce 5600FX. Anyone think this will be enough? I can run HL2 on the Highest settings.

Sir Dingus said:
NEW GAMEPLAY? Did everyone miss that?!? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Along with some new gameplay

I wonder what they mean by that, if anything at all

Well there is a fisherman in the concept art....so ummmm...Gordon can fish now?! j/k

I'm hoping for some l33t melee fighting.

Hehe .. yeah I noticed the new gameplay thing too :) Wonder if we'll be using the buggy as well? Intruiging ...

My theory on the new gameplay thing. I don't think it is set in the HL universe. Or atleast, it wont star Gordon. the world looks too different. Perhaps you play a Resistance member when the Combine are invading your clifftop town :imu: It just doesn't look Half-Lifey to me.

The Thing said:
It all depends on what kind of HDR they're using. They'll probably be using 8-bit so all FX, 6xxx and 9500, 9600, 9800, Xx00 cards will be able to do HDR.

/me quotes myself from another thread to make sure people are informed.

:D

The Thing said:
Only for HDR, not the Ati level. Not sure about that.

Ohhh :( I'll have to buy a new graphics card then. I want a new one anyway.

the latest far cry patch includes HDR capability. if you have far cry, type \r_hdrrendering [1-11] (i think) in the console to enable it. it gives you a good idea of what HDR is exactly. looked pretty cool in the limited time i played with it.

just found a nice slideshow that demonstrates what it looks like:

http://www.elitebastards.com/anipic.../hdrscreens/hdr-&frames=10&ext=jpg&speed=5000

the cool thing is though, not the difference in the pictures, but that the brightness you see there slowly goes away as your eyes adjust to the room.

Awsome slide show. What I think can run these ATI levels are the ATI cards that came with the HL2 bundle. So I predict all ATI 9600's and up should run the HDR. I sure hope so, because I myself happen to have an ATI 9600XT.

The Thing said:
/me quotes myself from another thread to make sure people are informed.

:D

8-bit? So 256 levels of brightness? Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of HDR since that's also possible with LDR?

Again, can anyone answer if a 9600XT should run the HDR in HL2 good? I ran some demo with it and got 30+ FPS. I really want to run this level.

Well if you think about it,

That demo just had limited input plus just the HDR running and then you think what HL2 has to run aswell.

So I dunno, depends on what method they use.

PvtRyan said:
8-bit? So 256 levels of brightness? Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of HDR since that's also possible with LDR?

It's the shader precision thingamajig or something..

Farcry uses 16-bit floating point which can only run on the NV40.

HL2 probably uses 8-bit integer because more cards support it (and because ATi can't use FP16).

And that means what? Lol, I don't know a whole lot about this bit stuff. Does that mean the HDR can run on less powerful GPU's?

The Thing said:
It's the shader precision thingamajig or something..

Farcry uses 16-bit floating point which can only run on the NV40.

HL2 probably uses 8-bit integer because more cards support it (and because ATi can't use FP16).

Just googled it and it seems like ATi will use FP12 or multiple passes.

I thought HDR was a simple DX9.0 feature? And wouldn't that mean that anyone with a dx9 card could have HDR effects activated? Not counting early nVidia FX 5XXX of course ;) And non-Ati people shouldn't complain. We got cheated out of the 1.3 patch for Far Cry didn't we?

All I care about is the Source HDR running on my 9600XT!

You have to wait until they *actually* update it first. :p

will they jsut tbe merging this level with the game[a chapter], or having another game on my games list ?

Slainchild said:
That is probably just distance fog, which occludes (hides) objects in the far distance giving better fps.
Flamin-h said:
Yes, they do this so your computer dosnt have to render the outside/inside effects when you are far away (saving fps).

Saving FPS? When the effect is used so rarely that it's not funny?
The absolute insignificance of the hit those scenes I mentioned would've taken on the game make it seem more like a pleasant effect (Faking of HDR) instead of a 1 FPS improvement trick.

Hooray - people with computers like me are finally being abandoned :D

But the question is, how good will it run with HDR on? And how exactly does it effect FPS soo much? And also, how will we enable it? Just go to options video advance then enable HDR? I need answers!

Back