were the combine forces rewarded with some 'you-know-what' for good work?

MrWhite said:
Nah, I doubt they'd have problems, because any solider acting out of line would be voilently murdered in a way you nor I could even fathom, or, turned into a stalker

It's still not secure enough.

I highly doubt a control-freak race such as the Combine would let a simple background check be the only thing in the way of joining CP. And as has been shown by rebels, fear of death doesn't outweigh their sense of duty.

No, CPs are definitely agumented/brainwashed on some level.

Sulkdodds said:
or whether Valve just didn't want to put women CPs in because it might somehow lessen the 'sinisterness'.
or take an unacceptable amount of effort

Absinthe said:
No, CPs are definitely agumented/brainwashed on some level.
the low level CPs have no power whatsover and are mere pawns to the combine, there's not much they can really do so the dont need to be augmented/brainwashed to stop them from defecting. listen to breens speeches anyway, if some citizens genuinely beleive him then as far as they know, theyre helping the combine help the humans, and by stopping troublemakers helping enforce the law. some people may just want to bully people for the sake it it though :p
the line 'memory replacement is the first step towards rank privileges' suggests that the CPs are not brainwashed/augmented as standard but in doing so will give them the chance to move up the ranks.
ADDITIONALLY the combine may forcfully make some citizenz become CPs through brainwashing etc if they needed more manpower if there were no longer enough citizens wanting to join willfully.

There's no need for brainwashing, or memory replacement. Look at the number of oppressive regimes that exist or have existed during history, especially during the last century.

Human nature itself is quite bad enough to support the Combine occupation of Earth without any need for memory replacement or augmentations.

neptuneuk said:
the low level CPs have no power whatsover and are mere pawns to the combine, there's not much they can really do so the dont need to be augmented/brainwashed to stop them from defecting. listen to breens speeches anyway, if some citizens genuinely beleive him then as far as they know, theyre helping the combine help the humans, and by stopping troublemakers helping enforce the law. some people may just want to bully people for the sake it it though :p

And some people simply want to live. Some people want to infiltrate and destroy. Apparently the CP's do have some level of power if they're seen fit to be equipped with submachine guns and control over civilian areas.

There's so much that could go wrong with mere acceptance of these people. There's so many backgrounds that could be forged, identities made up, and intentions hidden.

To simply trust that these people will do their bidding does not seem like the nature of the Combine we see prevalent in almost every other area.

BTW brainwashing does not necessarily include memory replacement. With the right chemicals and augmentations, you can ensure that your weak little human turns into a more aggressive, brutal, and obedient bulldog. Any further modification strikes me as being a result of worth proven to the Combine.

Epsi said:
There's no need for brainwashing, or memory replacement. Look at the number of oppressive regimes that exist or have existed during history, especially during the last century.

Human nature itself is quite bad enough to support the Combine occupation of Earth without any need for memory replacement or augmentations.

True, but then that would beg the question as to why the Combine would implement these things at all.

Like I said: control freaks. Their goal is domination and assimilation.

they dont 'trust' these people with anything, except they tell them what to do and they do it

Yes, they obviously do trust them for aforementioned reasons.

Again, this goes against the nature of the Combine we see prevalent in all other aspects. I find the concept of CP's being mere dudes in suits to be inconsistent with everything else in the Combine ranks.

Shit, why do they even need those masks then? It seems to serve a very practical purpose aside from inspiring fear.

the metrocops are un-augmented/brainwashed because:

1) Barny has managed to stay undercover as one undetected
2) The overwatch radio message "memory replacement is the first step towards rank privileges" suggests that if the CPs have to go through brainwashing of some sort and only then they are they granted access to higher ranks.
3) The overwatch 'non mechanical reproduction simulation' message, one can only but imagine.
4) The general 'human-like behaviour of the CPs compared to the soldiers, such as the can and the trash can incident at the start of the game

i give in. someone else can argue with you! :p

Marc Laidlaw said:
CP/Metrocops are humans at the first level--basically unaltered
volunteers. From here, if you are hardcore, you must volunteer for
modification in order to become a soldier, so advancing in rank requires
surrendering even more humanity.

This stuff was certainly thought through in advance; sometimes we just
make things up though.

omglolwtfbbqNept0wned!

lol.

The Nazis and Soviets seemed to do alright without scary brainwahsing techniques anyway. Although you could argue that propaganda counts.

EDITS:Laidlowned?

yes... :(
the poison headcrab thing was quite spontaneous! :D
absinthe will still think we're all wrong though lol! :D

No, I won't persist in thinking you're wrong. I'll just stand by my claim that it doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Your argument is still piss poor, neptune.

1) Barney is under cover. So what? It's never explained to us how he got his uniform and position.

2) Again, brainwashing does not necessarily require memory replacement. You have ignored this.

3) Your third point isn't even an argument.

4) So assimilated species are supposed to exhibit none of their previous traits? Balls to that. The Combine soldiers still use human attack formations, stances, they wail in pain, they flee, etc... The can incident at the beginning of the game would not indicate "OMG THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY 100% HUMAN", but merely that a significant portion of their humanity has remained intact.

In closing: I'm right, but you still suck. :)

Sulkdodds said:
The Nazis and Soviets seemed to do alright without scary brainwahsing techniques anyway. Although you could argue that propaganda counts.

The purpose of propaganda being?

That humanity can commit atrocities is really irrelevant. Human nature itself is a liability that I would think the Combine would not wish to take chances with.

Don't be so confrontational when your only point appears to be that 'the combine wouldn't take chances.' Maybe they wouldn't, but we don't know that - I'm sure they don't just induct anyone who wants to join. There really isn't much evidence for either side of the debate anyway.

Note that I was mainly arguing that they're not because I like that idea better. I just personally think it's cooler that they were normal humans being evil. :p

EDITS: This was in response to your previous post by the way.

Direct evidence? None. But I would find it makes more sense because of the Combine's nature.

Conversely, there's no evidence for the CP being completely human, sans Laidlaw's confirmation. So excuse me for thinking otherwise and spare me this "owned" BS. This little "victory", if you wish to term it as that, was never based on the strength of the arguments put forth.

Absinthe said:
I'm right

Marc Laidlaw said:
You're wrong

well blow me down! Absinthe knows more about the HL2 story than everyone else whos posted here AND the writer of the story!
talk about taking things too seriously / not being able to let things go! :p must be the brainworms :(
chiilllll *hands pill*

Uh, the Laidlowned comment was just me trying (and failing?) to be ironic. I didn't mean to come off like I was gloating, sorry. :(

neptuneuk said:
well blow me down! Absinthe knows more about the HL2 story than everyone else whos posted here AND the writer of the story!
talk about taking things too seriously / not being able to let things go! :p

Knowledge of the story is really a non-issue, as you depended solely on Laidlaw's words because you yourself couldn't argue out of a paper bag if required to.

I'm not questioning the fact. I simply posit that it makes no sense (not even Laidlaw's perfect). And really, my annoyance is spurred mainly by your ridiculous idea that you somehow contributed anything to shooting down my argument.

EDIT: Ignore me. Low threshold for bullshit today due to private reasons.

Back